Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 01:54 AM

14 posts, read 24,775 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are trying to get a budget together for our move to Montreal in the summer. I'd appreciate any information anyone might have to offer on the following:

1. How expensive is it to furnish a house? We are looking at a 3 bedroom house (2 kids and couple). I was hoping to find a website that might give examples but have had no luck so far.

2. What is best way to buy a car? Is it possible to get lease even if we do not have credit history in Canada?

3. Good option for long term medical insurance (i.e. more comprehensive that travel insurance)

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 04:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
I'd budget around $5 thousand for startup house furnishings,Beds and mattresses,fridge,stove,washing machine,tv,pots and pans,etc
Buy a used car for $5000 from any classified ads to use till you get established although if you are living in the city you may not even need a car..
After a couple of months you'll qualify for Canadas health insurance,Blue Cross will cover the interim.
Craigslist maybe of use.=
craigslist: montreal, QC jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Last edited by jambo101; 02-23-2016 at 04:13 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 06:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,411,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeagali View Post
Hi

1. How expensive is it to furnish a house? We are looking at a 3 bedroom house (2 kids and couple). I was hoping to find a website that might give examples but have had no luck so far.

Heres some lists of general household necessities, pricing is variable=
https://www.google.ca/#q=furnishing+a+house+checklist

Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM

196 posts, read 217,522 times
1. It really depends on if you're buying new or used and what kind of quality you are expecting. For new, and an general idea on mid-range (not cheap, not super fancy, but will last), you can get an idea on Sears.ca. Those are listed prices, I would expect rebates once you decide to buy/negotiate in store (ex. Sears furniture and appliances offers a gift card of a % of your total purchase automatically). Note if you buy new, unless stated otherwise, you can assume that the sales tax (~15%) is not included in the list price -very different from other western countries.

Other stores to look at: (low$) IKEA, Ashley furniture, (medium$) The Brick, Brault & Martineau, (med-high$) Mobilia, Phillipe Dagenais. Besides IKEA, you can negotiate at every one of these stores.

For used, consult the local classifieds: Craiglist, Kijiji, LesPAC. Everything is paid in cash, no sales tax. You'll have to pick up the merchandises with your own vehicle.

For 2 and 3, I suggest you post the questions on the main Canada forum. You'll get more answers there. For leasing a car, it depends on the brand and the dealership. Some may do it, some may not.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,514,312 times
Don't forget Freecycle! It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns and thus keeping good stuff out of landfills.

You wouldn't believe some of the items that can be had for free on this site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal