Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 07:43 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,117,114 times

Advertisements

Do Quebecois still smoke like chimneys? It's been a few decades since I've visited, but I swear, almost everyone was puffing away on a cigarette. Yikes, the air quality in the brasseries was Bejing-esque!
Well? Is it still going on? How long before the populace gets the memo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 07:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,426,086 times
Be assured the population has now got the memo.
Quote:
Smoking is not permitted on any form of public transit, in restaurants and bars, stores, shopping centres, in cinemas, in elevators, in government offices or in banks, and inside office buildings. Many buildings have cigarette disposal arrangements outside and a 9-meter smoke-free distance is obligatory from the entrances of public buildings like schools, hospitals and libraries. You must be 18 years or older to buy tobacco in Quebec.
As of May 2016 smoking and vaping will be banned on restaurant terrasses (patios), and it will be illegal to smoke in a vehicle with children under 16.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:57 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,117,114 times
Oh, tremendous! I'm delighted to see this.

So tell me...have the various smoking bans been implemented with lots of kicking, screaming, and swearing? That's what I imagine, anyway. Heeee!

Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,426,086 times
Its been a quiet transition, most griping coming from bar owners.IMO not that many people smoke any more,at least its not like it was a generation ago where almost every one smoked.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,149,445 times
The number of smokers may be a few percentage points higher still, but it's not something that jumps out at you like it used to when you'd arrive in Quebec from Ontario or the States.

Public life is generally smoke-free here these days, like anywhere else.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:20 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,514,975 times
I puff away like a chugging steam engine, and shouldn't.

As others have mentioned, it's illegal to smoke in restaurants, brasseries, bars, taverns, etc. I don't even think that one can smoke while sitting in outdoor terraces anymore.

It doesn't bother or affect me in the least because I don't visit those places very often now that I'm older. I prefer to drink at home and cook my own grub. I'm like the birds, cheep, cheep, cheep.

You'll get your fix of lung pollution from the trucks and especially the school buses that hog the roads in some areas, even in our quiet off-island burb on the south shore. Those school bus emissions are the worst! They make second-hand cigarette smoke seem like a kiss, at least to me they do.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:43 AM

17,448 posts, read 15,584,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I puff away like a chugging steam engine, and shouldn't.

As others have mentioned, it's illegal to smoke in restaurants, brasseries, bars, taverns, etc. I don't even think that one can smoke while sitting in outdoor terraces anymore.

It doesn't bother or affect me in the least because I don't visit those places very often now that I'm older. I prefer to drink at home and cook my own grub. I'm like the birds, cheep, cheep, cheep.

You'll get your fix of lung pollution from the trucks and especially the school buses that hog the roads in some areas, even in our quiet off-island burb on the south shore. Those school bus emissions are the worst! They make second-hand cigarette smoke seem like a kiss, at least to me they do.
Yep... I vividly recall the smells along Boul. Taschereau lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal