Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 PM

9 posts, read 7,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not necessarily a sure-fire indicator of quality of education but according to the stats that school has the third-highest percentage of low income kids of the 30-odd public English-language schools in Montreal.

About half of the kids that go there come from low-income households.
Lol..we'd fit right in there then....do you have a link to the stats you refer to? So because it's a school with lots of poor kids, does the school have a bad rep? I like the prospect of this school because it's right next to a metro so I feel we can travel easily to it whether we live right there or near a different metro. The school does have a Facebook page so maybe I can track some parents down and ask their experiences or something. And the school location..plamondon metro, is that a seedy area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personableloner View Post
Lol..we'd fit right in there then....do you have a link to the stats you refer to? So because it's a school with lots of poor kids, does the school have a bad rep??
I am not equating poor kids with bad results or a bad rep, but these stats are some of the only data that is readily available. Here are the links in French to the PDF and Excel. The first indicator is low income, the second is generally related to low educational attainment of the parents if I recall.
Résultats de la recherche

Quote:
I like the prospect of this school because it's right next to a metro so I feel we can travel easily to it whether we live right there or near a different metro. The school does have a Facebook page so maybe I can track some parents down and ask their experiences or something. And the school location..plamondon metro, is that a seedy area?
It's an extremely mixed area. Lots of very new immigrants living alongside an aging Ashkenazi Jewish population that is mostly anglophone.

The further east and away from Décarie you go the better it gets. The streets near Décarie like Trans-Island and Moutain Sights have some of the highest crime rates in Montreal. Lots of drug dealers and gangs there.

Montreal in general is very socio-economically mixed however. There aren't huge swathes of the city that are no-go areas and pretty nice parts are often right next to not-so-nice ones.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:54 PM

Thank you for all your answers nuala! So helpful. I am excited to look up more info on the francisation. When did you move to Montreal and from where? I know, I sound like such a noob!! I will probably laugh at myself a month in. The utilities are definitely a lot more expensive but my rent is 1200 here soo, I'm sure it will still be much cheaper. When I visited Montreal a couple summers before, I was completely flabbergasted about rental prices, and housing prices in general...so I am looking forward to a lower cost of living in general. And no (or less) quake fears.

I stayed at UdeM briefly and they had ants crawling up the walls in the dorms. So gross. But maybe that's just a campus thing and not real housing situations ..Also, I did look at the EMSB site to try to research the elementary schools but it's just basically a list and doesn't mention where each school is. I would have to click on each link and then place it on a map and then research each neighbourhood. But well, I guess that's my work to do I was hoping to get an idea of a narrowed down list I guess of most walkable or favored schools or whatever. Walkscore is my friend. I guess I can just input the school postal codes and start from there in that regard.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
The further east and away from Décarie you go the better it gets. The streets near Décarie like Trans-Island and Moutain Sights have some of the highest crime rates in Montreal. Lots of drug dealers and gangs there.

Montreal in general is very socio-economically mixed however. There aren't huge swathes of the city that are no-go areas and pretty nice parts are often right next to not-so-nice ones.
Hmmm good info. What metro stations are "east and away" from Décarie?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
Hmmm good info. What metro stations are "east and away" from Décarie?
I am no expert but the more you go east from Décarie and also south from the industrial areas to the north the nicer the areas are.

Closer to the Université de Montréal is generally nicer.

As is the area south of Queen Mary.

But it can vary even from street to street.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
We had a 5 in 2010 just east of Gatineau (northeast of Ottawa and about an hour west of Montreal), so it shook all of eastern Ontario, southern Quebec and parts of the northern states.

The epicentre was about 50 km from my house. It didn't knock anything off my shelves but all of my paintings and frames were crooked.

There was also a 6 in the Saguenay region of Quebec in 1988. It's about 500 km from Montreal but was felt for quite some distance from there, including Quebec City, Montreal, and into eastern Ontario (Ottawa) and the northern states.
Sounds scary!!!! But I can deal with that. I think.

Quote:
But no one ever talks of The Big One in this part of the world.
That's good. I like that. Of all the things to fear, that's one of my major things. No one really talks about it here either. If so, more in a jokey way. It's only if you go looking for the talk ie the news, social media, whatever. My friends and fam laugh at me and my er supplies and tips about earthquake proofing the home.. I'm like hey. You never know!! But the idea of being somewhere where it's considered a non-issue is comforting.

Thanks for all your replies

Old 01-04-2016, 02:07 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,459,433 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your answers nuala! So helpful. I am excited to look up more info on the francisation. When did you move to Montreal and from where? I know, I sound like such a noob!! I will probably laugh at myself a month in. The utilities are definitely a lot more expensive but my rent is 1200 here soo, I'm sure it will still be much cheaper. When I visited Montreal a couple summers before, I was completely flabbergasted about rental prices, and housing prices in general...so I am looking forward to a lower cost of living in general. And no (or less) quake fears.

I stayed at UdeM briefly and they had ants crawling up the walls in the dorms. So gross. But maybe that's just a campus thing and not real housing situations ..Also, I did look at the EMSB site to try to research the elementary schools but it's just basically a list and doesn't mention where each school is. I would have to click on each link and then place it on a map and then research each neighbourhood. But well, I guess that's my work to do I was hoping to get an idea of a narrowed down list I guess of most walkable or favored schools or whatever. Walkscore is my friend. I guess I can just input the school postal codes and start from there in that regard.
This COL comparison website nails the difference pretty good:
Cost of Living Comparison Between Vancouver, Canada And Montreal, Canada
(but, you may be not from Vancouver, so just constitute with your city).
I know, I paid 15 (fifteen!!) years ago $700 for 1-bedroom in Kitsilano. Here in Mtl, right now, you can get a 2-bedroom for that. I moved here almost 3 years ago. The first year, I attended francisation. There are 6 levels, each takes 2 months, that makes a year. Unless you stay on a level again, which is not bad at all if you were to really nail grammar/pronunciation. I liked Champlain Adult Education Centre (cea Champlain) in Verdun. People I met gave very good reviews, too, to Centre Pauline-Julien Cours de français Montréal, Apprendre Français
Brief, each centre has its merits:
ÉCOLES ET CENTRES | Commission Scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys
Français langue seconde - Commission scolaire de Montréal (CSDM)

As for the elementary schools, I moved around and found neighborhood schools everywhere. So I would concentrate on a neighborhood. As an example, people said Roslyn Elementary was very good in Westmount. What good would it be if it translates into $$$ in this posh neighbourhood. After 6th grade, the kids move on. Secondary schools that appeal to your family, may be elsewhere and so the quest will continue.

The good strategy could be to just point a finger on a map. For a newcomer, it really doesn't make a difference. Then, with time, you will research the neighborhoods that appeal personally to you.

Last edited by nuala; 01-04-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 09:11 PM

194 posts, read 423,529 times
Don't worry about the earthquakes, in Montreal the risk is very low compared with the West Coast.
From the areas that you mention Outremont is nice but very expensive. Cote-Des-Neige is OK, closer to the highway there are few streets that are more dicey, but I would not consider them dangerous. There plenty of other areas in Montreal way worse. In any event all that area close to Decarie and Mountain Sights is being developed right now with high end condos so it will not be an issue for much longer.
Cote-Des-Neige is also one of the neighborhoods with the highest percentage of immigrants and visible minorities, that's why some people perceive it as dangerous, but really other than few streets is extremely safe. It is surrounded by extremely rich neighborhoods the areas close to Universite de Montreal and Outremont are actually very wealthy. It is also very walkable, has good bus/metro connections with downtown, has several major hospitals and a significant anglo population.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:45 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,420,498 times
Quote:
The school does have a Facebook page so maybe I can track some parents down and ask their experiences or something. And the school location..plamondon metro, is that a seedy area?

Quote:
It's an extremely mixed area. Lots of very new immigrants living alongside an aging Ashkenazi Jewish population that is mostly anglophone.

I used to live near that area, it's not a bad area to live in but I admit I wouldn't want to send my kid to coronation street elementary. The streets mentioned by acajack never struck me as being bad or any worse than the other streets in the area, IMO its probably a little worse closer to Victoria road and along Decarie. I used to live right on Decarie a bit further down towards Snowdon closer to NDG and I confirm there is some drug activity in that area but its not too bad really. That is how I remember it form when I lived there, things could have changed though.

Acajack is right, it is a very mixed area. Lots and lots of restaurants, lots of people out and about during the summer months on victoria road. Cote de neiges is not far away, you got everything you need over there. Overall its not a bad area but If you have kids I would prefer to live else where or
at least send the kids to school in another area. There are nicer parts of Cote De Neiges or further down in NDG as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal