Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,777 times

Advertisements

And by that I mean places like Laval, Longueuil, Brossard, etc, whose many of their inhabitants commute daily to the Island, despite them being considered to be separate cities. Would they answer "yes" to the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 06:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Depends on the perspective.
If you were in Florida and some one asked where you are from you'd probably say Montreal.
If you were in Montreal and were asked where you are from you'd probably be more specific and say the particular area of Montreal you live in.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:45 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,259 times
I'd say that I do.

We moved to the south shore in 2010, when we bought our first house. Previously, I'd lived on the island of Montreal since I was nine years old.

I was born in Toronto, and despite the rivalry/friction that might exist between the cities, yes, I still like Toronto but haven't been for a visit since DH and I visited my late MIL, Ol' Mama Bin Laden.

DH moved to Montreal in about 1985, just two years before we met. He is an Ontarian, though not from Toronto.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:06 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Depends on the perspective.
If you were in Florida and some one asked where you are from you'd probably say Montreal.
If you were in Montreal and were asked where you are from you'd probably be more specific and say the particular area of Montreal you live in.
Yep. When I lived up there, I'd say I'm from Brossard.
Now when asked where I'm from, I just say Montreal.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I'd say the vast majority of them do, even if they might have some issues with the way the city of Montreal is run. You know, the usual stuff.

But it's not even close to a Detroit-style distancing of oneself from the central city. Montreal has a pretty favourable image and most people like to be associated with it.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:13 AM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say the vast majority of them do, even if they might have some issues with the way the city of Montreal is run. You know, the usual stuff.

But it's not even close to a Detroit-style distancing of oneself from the central city. Montreal has a pretty favourable image and most people like to be associated with it.
I will say this: As a kid (before I moved to Brossard), I lived in a small town called St-Isidore, played hockey in St-Remi, and swam in Mercier. Lots of the people I interacted with, especially the adults, had some type of resentment towards Montreal. The general complaints I would hear were: Full of Chinois, Arabs et Anglais, it is too congested, and it's dirty. Meanwhile they would praise places like Jonquiere and Chicoutimi. Not sure if the new generation has different views, but those from that part of the South Shore (Les Jardins du Quebec) really did not like Montreal, and very much blamed the city for Quebec not separating from Canada.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I will say this: As a kid (before I moved to Brossard), I lived in a small town called St-Isidore, played hockey in St-Remi, and swam in Mercier. Lots of the people I interacted with, especially the adults, had some type of resentment towards Montreal. The general complaints I would hear were: Full of Chinois, Arabs et Anglais, it is too congested, and it's dirty. Meanwhile they would praise places like Jonquiere and Chicoutimi. Not sure if the new generation has different views, but those from that part of the South Shore (Les Jardins du Quebec) really did not like Montreal, and very much blamed the city for Quebec not separating from Canada.
Oh, this definitely does exist. Though perhaps not as acutely as it used to. Though these people paradoxically still identify with the city in many ways, sometimes quite strongly.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM

194 posts, read 423,226 times
The suburbs closer to Montreal, some parts of Laval, Brossard, Vaudreuil are more similar to Montreal, more or less the same ethnic composition. These will identify more with being a Montrealer.
Further you go as in St Eustache, Terrebonne, Mascouche, St Constant, the population is mostly white and French. There are some pockets of Anglophones but very few visible minorities. These places will identify less with Montreal and they will complain that when they go in Montreal they feel almost in a different country. In a way they are right, all those suburbs are white and homogeneous, a world apart from the multicultural place that Montreal is. I cannot tell you how many times I heard French Quebecois explaining that they moved out of Montreal into the suburbs to escape the immigrants.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:39 AM

65 posts, read 129,800 times
As a guy from Brossard, I identify as a Brossard resident first and secondly as a Montrealer. Most people here refer to downtown as just "Montreal". A part of why I feel this way is that I honestly think that brossard is the best and most livable suburb in greater Montreal. It's safe, close to the city-centre with good public transportation and is becoming more then just a bedroom community lately.However, I feel as if most of the further south-shore suburbs like chambly or beloeil don't seem to identify with Montreal at all.

Last edited by Nationalistdefeator; 08-09-2015 at 12:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal