Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 978 times

Advertisements

I want to apply to a university in Montreal to study. I heard that living in Montreal is very hard because everything is in French. I know basic French. Is that fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:26 PM

17,597 posts, read 15,767,522 times
Yes, basic French is fine.
Plenty of people there speak less than basic French.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM

579 posts, read 669,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesyweesy25 View Post
I want to apply to a university in Montreal to study. I heard that living in Montreal is very hard because everything is in French. I know basic French. Is that fine?
What is it that you want to study? Where in Montreal? At what level (undergrad, masters or PhD)?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 PM

909 posts, read 1,161,371 times
If you go to McGill you don't have to know French at all if you live on campus.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 PM

579 posts, read 669,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
If you go to McGill you don't have to know French at all if you live on campus.
The trick is that you can't live on campus for more than one year; the other three (or two if you're somehow a Quebec resident) are lived off-campus. And if you're unlucky enough to not find an apartment in McGill Ghetto, then you will have to make use of your limited French.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 AM

676 posts, read 967,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
The trick is that you can't live on campus for more than one year; the other three (or two if you're somehow a Quebec resident) are lived off-campus. And if you're unlucky enough to not find an apartment in McGill Ghetto, then you will have to make use of your limited French.
Eh, not necessarily. I lived in Ville-Emard and Verdun for 6 months without bothering to learn anything more basic than how to answer whether or not I wanted a bag at the grocery store.

Ironically, now I live in the McGill Ghetto, but speak much more French (by choice, not out of necessity)

Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 AM

909 posts, read 1,161,371 times
I'd say you can survive with no French in Montreal, especially if you live in the English Westmount area. But you would be much happier and your social life would much better and more fun if you spoke French. Even when I visited Montreal last year I felt like an outsider and lost when I didn't understand the jokes in French and the conversations going on.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,474,348 times
As a student, you will do fine with out French. I know many people that went to McGill and Concordia and speak little to no French, and lived in different areas of the plateau and even rosemont.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,163,847 times
Maybe it's because I have an American English accent -- I always did, even before I moved to the States, because I worked for an American company and spoke to Americans all day, every day -- but nobody gives me flack for only speaking English. Maybe everyone thinks I'm a tourist. *shrug*

I'm not being stubborn. I lost almost all of my (high school) French when I started working for a U.S. company, then I moved to the States where I lost the rest of it. I'm a self-employed contractor now and only do work for U.S. firms, so I have no opportunity to re-learn French.

Fact is, nobody gives me a hard time about it. Sign language works wonders when you can't get your thought across.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,480,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesyweesy25 View Post
Is it English or French university? I went to a French college just to torture myself into getting to speak better. Apparently comprehension is generally much more important; when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of whatever your specialization is, there's no time to stop and wait. My tongue has been way behind my comprehension. The good thing is your peers and profs give you a huuuge slack listening to your butchering the language.
If it is an English-speaking uni, you won't even realize you live in a Quebecois province.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal