Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,451 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We just received our PR and moving to Montreal on July.

A little about us.
We are from Ecuador (Have you heard about Galapagos Islands?, yes that country), we are both computer engineers, in ours mid 30's with a 4 years old daughter.
Our process took 3 years! it is hard to stay motivated all this time... but last January we received the CSQ with priority treatment and ever since all the procedures have been quite fast.
We live at the coast of Ecuador... all year long we live around 33ºC... during what we call 'summer' it drops at night to 22ºC that's what we call cold!
We both speaking english very very good, however, the french, we both have a B1... we need to improve it and sometimes we do not understand a single word (those days), so, we hear french music and tune in radio-canada.com for live tv shows. We also plan to improve our french when arriving to Montreal.

Moving to Montreal.
Since we came from a warm climate we choose to travel this july, in order to adapt to the cold, we are mentally prepared for the cold however we have only been to -5ºC once in NYC.

Working in Montreal.
So, here comes the questions... since we are both computer engineers, both speak english very well and we have a functional french... are there jobs for us? We have been applying online, without success and it really worries me... is it normal? or maybe when I get to Montreal the recruiters will call?

So, we are computer engineers, english very good and functional french... will it be enough? Any suggestions?

Kind regards
Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,514,971 times
Welcome and congratulations on your successful immigration, Cant help much other than give some job search sites
https://www.google.ca/#q=computer+en...al&safe=active

Also Craigslist will give you an idea of apartment prices
craigslist: montreal classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events.

Best of luck.

PS. my daughter just got back from a trip tp Ecuador with the McGill geology Department, she had a great time,loved the country and the people. Her itinerary=
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/vi...g.kXCzJNm_6X_I

Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,372,555 times
Congratulations and welcome!!

Sorry, can't help you with your job search question. The whole family works in medicine.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:20 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,478,991 times
I've met people from Columbia, Honduras, Costa Rica and Brasil. All of them lived through the winter just like any other Québécois. You learn to wear warm clothes and see the fun side of winter.

Immigration can help you to improve your French before you plunge into any job search. It could give you some buffer time to get used to the city, to tip your toes into the IT scene here etc.

Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Admission

Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,451 times
Hi,

@jambo101: Thanks for those web sites I already browse them several hours per day. I'm glad she liked Ecuador, but she missed Galapagos.. I *highly* recommend it.

@weltschmerz: Thanks for your answer... I'm worried but I've heard that for doctors is way more complicated to get a job.

@nuala: Thanks for your advice, yes maybe when I get there and practice french all day long will get more confident and ready for a job.

I invite you all to see a little bit of Ecuador:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fi88GBOHOA

Thanks a lot for your answers!
Christian

Old 06-02-2014, 05:39 AM

171 posts, read 274,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christancho View Post
Hi,
We just received our PR and moving to Montreal on July.

A little about us.
We are from Ecuador (Have you heard about Galapagos Islands?, yes that country), we are both computer engineers, in ours mid 30's with a 4 years old daughter.
Our process took 3 years! it is hard to stay motivated all this time... but last January we received the CSQ with priority treatment and ever since all the procedures have been quite fast.
We live at the coast of Ecuador... all year long we live around 33ºC... during what we call 'summer' it drops at night to 22ºC that's what we call cold!
We both speaking english very very good, however, the french, we both have a B1... we need to improve it and sometimes we do not understand a single word (those days), so, we hear french music and tune in radio-canada.com for live tv shows. We also plan to improve our french when arriving to Montreal.

Moving to Montreal.
Since we came from a warm climate we choose to travel this july, in order to adapt to the cold, we are mentally prepared for the cold however we have only been to -5ºC once in NYC.

Working in Montreal.
So, here comes the questions... since we are both computer engineers, both speak english very well and we have a functional french... are there jobs for us? We have been applying online, without success and it really worries me... is it normal? or maybe when I get to Montreal the recruiters will call?

So, we are computer engineers, english very good and functional french... will it be enough? Any suggestions?

Kind regards
Christian
There should be but it is difficult to apply online if you have no Montreal phone number as they just won't call back an international number.
You can try altero and serti as agencies.
Other than that register on workaholic, the quebec job site... and apply directly to companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal