Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:16 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,134,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
For those of us who do not live in Montreal (and even Quebec City, beyond the downtown core/old town), you don't use English in daily life, so there is no real need to be bilingual. Of course, I'm sure we can all agree it is useful, but when you go years without needing to speak a language, it seems only natural that people don't care to really keep up with it or move beyond a bare minimum level.

When I first moved here 4 years ago, I didn't speak any French. I tried talking to my neighbour and she just shrugged. 4 years later, we talked about that, and she said that I was the first person in her LIFE to ever speak to her in English beyond a classroom setting in school. She never needed it, so she never bothered. This is pretty typical of most Quebecois - some people here on C-D seem to forget (or don't realize) that most Quebecois can easily go months, years, even their lives - without having to talk to an English speaker. They see tourist areas and think the province is like that. It isn't.
Even in Gatineau and Montreal, you can live without speaking English. Otherwise the percentage of unilinguals would be a lot lower.

Even myself, there are periods where I can go for a couple of weeks without speaking any English at all here in Gatineau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpotomac View Post
That makes sense. I would think that would be particularly true for the average "blue-collar guy" with no ambitions beyond the local paper mill and no desire to move away from his home town. He doesn't need English on the job, he doesn't know many Anglophones since he lives in a 98% Francophone town, and he can consume all the Francophone media he wants.
You don't even have to low-ball your ambitions that much. One of my neighbours is the head of department for the City of Gatineau. He is university-educated and all, has a nice house and drives a BMW. Can't speak English to save his life.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I would think that an economy dominated by provincial government would have relatively little to attract migrants from outside Quebec.
Historically this has been the case and Quebec City has struggled to draw and retain immigrants. However, in the past 10-15 years it has undergone an extremely successful diversification of its economy and now has one of the lowest jobless rates in Canada (in line with booming places like Calgary), and so things are starting to change and they are now getting more immigrants there.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 AM

32 posts, read 82,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Historically this has been the case and Quebec City has struggled to draw and retain immigrants. However, in the past 10-15 years it has undergone an extremely successful diversification of its economy and now has one of the lowest jobless rates in Canada (in line with booming places like Calgary), and so things are starting to change and they are now getting more immigrants there.

Where are the immigrants coming from?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Where are the immigrants coming from?
My sense: France, Latin America, Morocco, Algeria, Lebanon, Haiti, francophone Africa. In no particular order.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM

So the same Francophone or quasi-Francophone countries that provide so many of Montreal's immigrants? (Latin Americans generally don't speak French, but they do speak a Romance language, whether Spanish or Portuguese).

Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
So the same Francophone or quasi-Francophone countries that provide so many of Montreal's immigrants? (Latin Americans generally don't speak French, but they do speak a Romance language, whether Spanish or Portuguese).
Yes, the makeup is relatively similar all over Quebec in fact.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM

565 posts, read 674,346 times
Quote:
That makes sense. I would think that would be particularly true for the average "blue-collar guy" with no ambitions beyond the local paper mill and no desire to move away from his home town. He doesn't need English on the job, he doesn't know many Anglophones since he lives in a 98% Francophone town, and he can consume all the Francophone media he wants.
It's also true for the school principal, your kids' teachers, most company managers, public servants, doctors, accountants, lawyers, etc. Most almost never need English in their daily life.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM

When I was in Montreal, I saw the Haitians, the Vietnamese, the Lebanese, and the West Africans -- and I thought this feels like a reunion of the French Empire. And not by accident.

How is Quebec City diversifying its economy?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
When I was in Montreal, I saw the Haitians, the Vietnamese, the Lebanese, and the West Africans -- and I thought this feels like a reunion of the French Empire. And not by accident.

How is Quebec City diversifying its economy?
I am not sure of the details but from what I hear they've done it through an explosion of small and medium sized homegrown local businesses. It's not really investment from outside that much - they've really done it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal