Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,148 times

Advertisements

Its been extremely cold here. The snow hasn't melted at all. Im from NJ where the weather is definitely cold in terms of the usa as oppose if you live in the west coast. But the snow hasn't melted in like 1 month since snow got here. Even though there is sun... the snow doesnt even melt. I mean even in NJ if there is sun, after 2 week max the snow will melt. I went outside and it was extremely cold. I found out that it was actually 10 degrees below zero which is unheard of even in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM

26,935 posts, read 38,272,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryspringg1 View Post
Its been extremely cold here. The snow hasn't melted at all. Im from NJ where the weather is definitely cold in terms of the usa as oppose if you live in the west coast. But the snow hasn't melted in like 1 month since snow got here. Even though there is sun... the snow doesnt even melt. I mean even in NJ if there is sun, after 2 week max the snow will melt. I went outside and it was extremely cold. I found out that it was actually 10 degrees below zero which is unheard of even in NJ.
I wouldn't expect the snow to melt away completely during the winter in Montreal. It can happen sometimes (or at least most of it can disappear - especially right downtown), but it's never a given.

Usually by early to mid-March most of of it will be gone. In milder winters with light snow it can be gone by late February some years. And some years it can stick around longer even.

You're not in NJ anymore!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,373,950 times
Quote:
Is it always this cold in Montreal?
No, not always. It's quite warm in August.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:26 PM

123 posts, read 333,350 times
This year and last year has been bad. a year before last year when I arrived here from NYC, it was quite mild. Another difference is NY/NJ they use lot of salt that melts the snow which they don't use here . Moreover Montreal is quite further in North(almost 450 Miles) over the top of NJ. Try compairing winter in NJ with Raleigh NC which almost the same distance below NJ.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 PM

578 posts, read 1,484,312 times
Just consider the summer a VERY short break from the winter ;-)
I've been living in Montreal (7 years) and Waterloo/Ontario (3 years), and my personal opinion is that Waterloo was having somewhat shorter winters, less cold and less snow on average.
All those waters surrounding the island of Montreal are contributing to this amplified coldness effect. I remember by snow boots lasting for less of an year in MTL (I walk a lot in general) while in Waterloo they could survive even for 2-3 years.

Now it's been about 2 months since I've relocated to Colorado - Denver area. And while Colorado still has winter/4 seasons, the winter seems to be much milder here. In some days it may go as low as -11...-15 degrees Celsius, but just for 1-2 days. The temperatures then go back to a more accommodating +10 degrees Celsius - having lots of sunshine (about 300 days on average) makes the snow melt away quite rapidly. And the air is much much drier (extreme to what one observes in Canada I would say - you have to live it yourself in order to understand). So my feeling is that Colorado winters feel more like Eastern/Central Europe winters. Sometimes more intense but the "feels like" and current temp are matching almost all the time - and the winters may be shorter - closer to what one should bear as a "winter season".

Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 AM

218 posts, read 511,204 times
Today is +6°C high (feels like 4) in Montreal. But end of last week it was like -28°C low (felt like -40 or something). And there were large swings in between too with temps going above zero range just 2 days after -30 freeze.

Winters in Montreal are humid and volatile, with abrupt and large temperature fluctuations. I usually don't have a problem with -30°C weather in a continental climate, but it's humid here too making cold very stingy and harsh when it penetrates through clothes and/or reaches open skin. Also, there may be strong persisting winds with gusts here from time to time adding to excitement.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 AM

408 posts, read 609,710 times
Quote:
If this is your first winter here and you're lookng for a benchmark I'd say this winter has been harsher than usual so far. Much colder (though I'm sure NJ has been colder than usual as well) and a bit snowier than the norm.

But ya, snow melting away entirely in January/February is not a likely scenario here.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 AM

408 posts, read 609,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girish View Post
This year and last year has been bad. a year before last year when I arrived here from NYC, it was quite mild. Another difference is NY/NJ they use lot of salt that melts the snow which they don't use here . Moreover Montreal is quite further in North(almost 450 Miles) over the top of NJ. Try compairing winter in NJ with Raleigh NC which almost the same distance below NJ.
Montreal uses more ''salt'' than New York - it's the 5c difference between both cities that counts here.
New York is frequently above freezing in winter... mother nature takes care of the snow/ice accumulations there

Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,522,058 times
Quote:
Its in the ballpark for Montreal winters,another blizzard or two might be upcoming and maybe another bout or two of arctic low temps, it will all be over by early April.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,891,876 times
Yes, that's Montreal in winter for you. It's as cold as Moscow or Minneapolis. Expect snow to remain on the ground for much of the winter. And it's actually one of the warmest parts of Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal