Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times

Advertisements

I don't need to take this. I've made my points, and if you want to get offended by them, that's your problem. I haven't personally insulted you once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
Generally, all the communities outside Montreal are dominant francophone, some moreso than others. You can get away with a lot of English in Brossard, for example (with many English-speakers and allophones) but out in Chambly, St-Jean-sur-Richelieu in the south, is francophone and you would be lucky to find a bilingual doctor. In the north, you have places like St-Eustache and Deux Montanges (which has a train downtown), and elsewhere in the south, St-Bruno (which is a beautiful town).

Here is your train map
http://www.amt.qc.ca/uploadedImages/...ndi.jpg?n=7501

The red line being the west island and very Anglophone, the rest are francophone. Especially far north and some in Candiac. The rest are where you will get your immersion, especially going out further.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 PM

17 posts, read 41,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Generally, all the communities outside Montreal are dominant francophone, some moreso than others. You can get away with a lot of English in Brossard, for example (with many English-speakers and allophones) but out in Chambly, St-Jean-sur-Richelieu in the south, is francophone and you would be lucky to find a bilingual doctor. In the north, you have places like St-Eustache and Deux Montanges (which has a train downtown), and elsewhere in the south, St-Bruno (which is a beautiful town).

Here is your train map
http://www.amt.qc.ca/uploadedImages/...ndi.jpg?n=7501

The red line being the west island and very Anglophone, the rest are francophone. Especially far north and some in Candiac. The rest are where you will get your immersion, especially going out further.
thank you for the very helpful reply! i am also considering the eastern townships if that would make for a better immersion/faster learning environment.
do you have any suggestions as far as taking private lessons? in a place like st-jean-sur-richelieu, how do i find a good tutor? are the established schools or the ymca classes good? i've used craigslist in the past but it was hit/miss. thanks again!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA1977 View Post
thank you for the very helpful reply! i am also considering the eastern townships if that would make for a better immersion/faster learning environment.
do you have any suggestions as far as taking private lessons? in a place like st-jean-sur-richelieu, how do i find a good tutor? are the established schools or the ymca classes good? i've used craigslist in the past but it was hit/miss. thanks again!
There aren't any classes in a place like St-Jean unless you are an immigrant without your citizenship/PR, there just aren't enough people to support it. Chambly has a program, let me go find it. There are a LOT of fantastic French language schools in somewhere like Brossard. The eastern townships are very French, but some parts (Lennoxville) are not. If I had a choice, I'd probably choose a place like Longueil/Brossard and be near the metro, taking classes in Montreal or the south shore.

Nobody uses Craigslist in MTL (well they do, but nowhere near as much as elsewhere like Vancouver), stick to Kijiji but things are still done by phonebook/general search engines here.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 AM

`Francisation`is the term you want to be searching for. Most of the French language classes out here offered for free by the government (for citizens) are not published in English.

Le C.A.L.M. consolide son offre de service - Communauté - Réseau Montérégie - Chambly Express
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal