Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,363 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Has anyone here attended either UQAM or UdM? It is my understanding that UdM is a better school overall, but UQAM seems a lot more accessible via transit? How good (or bad) is the parking around UdM? I want to take a program that is offered at both universities but trying to figure out the logistics of it. I would prefer to take an express bus into Montreal (from the south shore) so UQAM is appealing for that, but I wonder if the quality of instruction at UdM is worth the extra hassle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Hi!

Has anyone here attended either UQAM or UdM? It is my understanding that UdM is a better school overall, but UQAM seems a lot more accessible via transit? How good (or bad) is the parking around UdM? I want to take a program that is offered at both universities but trying to figure out the logistics of it. I would prefer to take an express bus into Montreal (from the south shore) so UQAM is appealing for that, but I wonder if the quality of instruction at UdM is worth the extra hassle?
My understanding is that the latter is a significantly better university. If you want to flog your degree in an English speaking jurisdiction, however, then McGill might be a significantly better choice than either of those institutions if it offers a similar or an identical program. Much depends on what you want to study and what you want to do with your degree after you graduate.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 AM

Thanks!

I already have a degree from an university (back in Vancouver), I'd like to take one of the FLS programs (français langue seconde).

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks!

I already have a degree from an university (back in Vancouver), I'd like to take one of the FLS programs (français langue seconde).
Ah! Thank you very much for clarifying that. In this instance, I don't think that that the reputation or the perceived reputation of either institution should make much of a difference one way or another when it comes of that particular program of study. Have you heard that one is better than the other for FLS?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Thank you!

I have only heard from my husband who says that UdM is just better overall and that UQAM is for those who couldn't get into UdM but he hasn't actually attended either university I know UdM seems more comprehensive but I'm just looking to function in work and not write French literature or anything.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Thank you!

I have only heard from my husband who says that UdM is just better overall and that UQAM is for those who couldn't get into UdM but he hasn't actually attended either university I know UdM seems more comprehensive but I'm just looking to function in work and not write French literature or anything.
Absolutely. As you want to learn colloquial French for the most part, then I don't think that institutional reputation should concern you a great deal. I'd ask around and find out from people who have studied FLS at either place which of them might be better for that particular program.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,140,226 times
Quote:
Thank you!

I think the appropriate US parallel for UQAM vs. UdeM is 'regular state school/diploma mill' (UQAM) vs. 'good public university' (UdeM). Some of the programs with the best reputation at UdeM are actually at its satellite schools (Polytechnique, HEC).

I don't want to get into the important distinction between "quality of instruction" and "school reputation" so let me just say that the school's overall reputation likely won't matter for your future job prospects -- my understanding is that your main professional qualification will always remain the one you got in Vancouver, and the certificate (I assume) you get in UQAM or UdeM will only check the box that will enable you to get a job in a French environment. I'm not saying either program is actually better, as I have no clue, but if commute is a concern (UdeM being on the blue line isn't all that convenient from the south shore) I think you should go for UQAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal