Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times

Advertisements

I'm going to my Pharmacy, i'll ask..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times
My Pharmacist at PharmaPrix said if you want uncoated aspirin use the chewable version of the product..

Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,352,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Why does it have to be uncoated? The "coated" tablet is referred to as "enteric coated" and is a coating that is designed to not dissolve in the acidic environment of your stomach. ASA causes stomach ulcers and hence is the reason why the tablets get this enteric coating so that it could be absorbed in the small intestine. Aspirin actually has a nasty safety profile and would never get approved today if it was a new medicine. It is very possible the uncoated tablets are not approved for sale in Canada.
Nope. I see non-coated aspirins in the pharmacies here. Hubby takes daily aspirin and I make a point of looking for the coated aspirin. I don't know why the OP would have a hard time finding non-coated aspirin.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:12 PM

15 posts, read 71,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Nope. I see non-coated aspirins in the pharmacies here. Hubby takes daily aspirin and I make a point of looking for the coated aspirin. I don't know why the OP would have a hard time finding non-coated aspirin.

are you in montreal? If so, can you tell me the name of the place you go and get uncoated aspirin?

Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM

15 posts, read 71,299 times
netwit, which places are you getting the aspirin from?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:28 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,352,327 times
SuperValu and Shoppers Drugmart but I'm in Manitoba. Maybe that makes a difference.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,102,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post

It is very possible the uncoated tablets are not approved for sale in Canada.
Not so. I can get both non-coated ASA and acetaminophen over the counter from the pharmacist, as I described above and have been doing so for over 40 years. I can also get over-the-counter acetaminophen #1 (contains 15 mg. codeine and 8 mg. caffeine in it) from the pharmacist without a prescription. I get the non-coated meds so they can be halved or crushed and dissolved in liquids. I can get them in any drugstore or any grocery market or department store that has a pharmacy in it. Costco, Walmart, London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart, Save-on-Foods, Super Value, Price Smart Foods, Extra Foods, Real Canadian Superstore, etc. or at the corner private pharmacy, and from any compounding pharmacist where they make made-to-order pharmaceuticals themselves. I'm pretty sure that anyone right across Canada can purchase them in any of those stores.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,347,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Not so. I can get both non-coated ASA and acetaminophen over the counter from the pharmacist, as I described above and have been doing so for over 40 years. I can also get over-the-counter acetaminophen #1 (contains 15 mg. codeine and 8 mg. caffeine in it) from the pharmacist without a prescription. I get the non-coated meds so they can be halved or crushed and dissolved in liquids. I can get them in any drugstore or any grocery market or department store that has a pharmacy in it. Costco, Walmart, London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart, Save-on-Foods, Super Value, Price Smart Foods, Extra Foods, Real Canadian Superstore, etc. or at the corner private pharmacy, and from any compounding pharmacist where they make made-to-order pharmaceuticals themselves. I'm pretty sure that anyone right across Canada can purchase them in any of those stores.

Oh gosh, yes! How much do you pay? It's about $10 for 200 pills here at Jean Coutu. Pharmaprix is much more expensive,

Old 10-19-2013, 06:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,102,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Oh gosh, yes! How much do you pay? It's about $10 for 200 pills here at Jean Coutu. Pharmaprix is much more expensive,
Yeah, it's in about the same price range for me at Extra Foods and London Drugs which are the 2 closest pharmacies within convenient walking distance to me so that's where I go for prescrips and such. It's between $10 to $11 for 200 of those, Extra Foods is less than London Drugs (for just about everything - but better service at LD). Of course generic ASA (like aspirin that the OP is asking about) is a lot cheaper than acet w/codeine & caffeine or the name brand Aspirin.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,361,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
here in B.C. Pharmasave charges me close to $17 dollars including Taxes for a bottle of 200 Generic "222" AC&C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal