Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,809,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
Got another question. I went to a Dollaroma store today and wow the prices are very cheap for stuff there. You could get toothpaste from colgate, crest for $2 and also buy other stuff like cleaning stuff for $1 or $2 or $3.

I then took a look and they had bread there. They selling whole loafs of bread for $2. At the supermarkets, the bread cost $3.69 to $4.69. Is the quality of the bread at dollaroma not that good which is why the price of bread there is so cheap?

Also they sell honey nut cheerio for $2 a box but those boxes are very small. You have to buy 2 boxes for the regular size the supermarket but at supermarket it cost $5.69 so you saving like $1.70 or so. Seems like Dollaroma is the best place to go to get basic stuff? Could not believe how cheap the stuff there was...
Buy the same item at both stores. Look at the expiration dates. The lower priced items are warehouse overages that are coming near their expiration date. Thus they are highly discounted when sold to a discount retailer where some money is better than no money. By law once they hit the expiration date the items need to be destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada has eliminated the penny so any purchase will be rounded up or down.
Quite normal for grocery stores to charge a nickle per grocery bag.
If you like Costco's there are a few in Montreal.
Yes Chicken prices are high, its just the way it is, watch for specials.
You might try some of the farmers markets scattered about the city.Jean Talon market being one of the biggest.
One of the smartest things they have done. Now when will the USA adopt the penny policy? You know I didn't even notice that last week while in Toronto, but hubby has always said; get rid of the damn pennies. As for the charge for bags, here in America, what many stores are doing is giving you 5 cents per bag if you use the cloths ones, either way, it does cut down on the use of plastic bags. I think it is a great idea and one thing I was impressed with in Canada was how enviornmentaly (spelling) savvy the people are. No wonder the country is so clean.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,240,691 times
You can make a killing at Dollarama. My mom worked at the higher-end IGA and she shopped at Dollarama anyways, because she said it all came off the same truck (Dollarama just got the overstock).

Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 AM

408 posts, read 608,591 times
Quote:
Got another question. I went to a Dollaroma store today and wow the prices are very cheap for stuff there. You could get toothpaste from colgate, crest for $2 and also buy other stuff like cleaning stuff for $1 or $2 or $3.

I then took a look and they had bread there. They selling whole loafs of bread for $2. At the supermarkets, the bread cost $3.69 to $4.69. Is the quality of the bread at dollaroma not that good which is why the price of bread there is so cheap?

Also they sell honey nut cheerio for $2 a box but those boxes are very small. You have to buy 2 boxes for the regular size the supermarket but at supermarket it cost $5.69 so you saving like $1.70 or so. Seems like Dollaroma is the best place to go to get basic stuff? Could not believe how cheap the stuff there was...
Dollarama is the bomb. When I was growing up in Montreal, it had a sort of ''for poor people'' reputation, but sure enough, as time went by they just kept growing and growing. Now Dollarama is available across Canada - and it's a big hit. Also a wicked performer on the stock market in recent years.

Regarding the quality: a friend of mine's dad is actually an executive for Dollarama, so I asked him if the food was gross. He said that because it's a publicly traded company, and because its reputation has been built on extreme affordability, Quebec food inspectors (we have lots of those) are particularly demanding of them. As such, Dollarama has focused heavily on quality control and all of their products are top-notch (fresh, reputable brands, etc)

Honestly, don't hesitate to buy there. The prices truly are unbeatable for most products, especially in the Plateau. (I'm thinking of the one on Parc avenue)

Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,349,856 times
Quote:

I then took a look and they had bread there. They selling whole loafs of
bread for $2. At the supermarkets, the bread cost $3.69 to $4.69. Is the
quality of the bread at dollaroma not that good which is why the price of bread
there is so cheap?
Well, you won't get great bread at Dollarama, not like the hot ciabatta loaves at Metro, lovely crusty baguettes from Au Pain Doré, or the fresh dense sourdough at Loblaw's. It will do in a pinch, but calling it bread is generous.
I did buy hot dog buns for my son at Dollarama today for $1.25, however. He doesn't care.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:10 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,240,691 times
Another alternative, if time permits, is to buy yesterday's nice bread at a 50% off, a lot of places do this.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:42 AM

152 posts, read 567,782 times
Got another question that might seems silly to ask.

But i been buying chicken legs at the grocery store at intermarche supermarket in the mont-plateau area. The thing is back in the usa, i would buy a bunch of them b/c i dont like to go out and buy grocery 2 times a week. I prefer to just buy a bunch of chicken breast and then i put them in the freezer and the ones im eeating today, i put it in the fridge.

Well i bought a ton of chicken legs and put it in the freezer and well i had to throw a few of them out b/c there was smell to it and thus the chicken seems to be bad. Whenever i buy chicken, i always buy the ones where it expires the latest date i can find. Well in the usa, even if i bought something on the 1st and it says best to eat before the 5th... i just put it in my freezer and then when im going to eat it, i just take it out of the freezer the day before and then im fine. So i could still eat it on the 7th or 8th b/c i had put it in the freezer till the 6th or 7th.

Does the chicken here go bad faster? I had lived in another apartment in another area and i had to throw out the chicken just 3-4 days laters b/c there was a very bad smell to it. I had to do it again now. Thing is i keep it in the freezer until the day i cook it but it already has a smell. This almost never happened when i buy chicken breast back in the usa.

Does anyone know the reason? Maybe its b/c im buying chicken legs/thighs here as oppose to chicken breast? I just went and bought some chicken breasts today and bought a few of them so i will be eating it in a few days but is it normal for chicken to start smelling just after 3-4 days? I could keep it close to 1 week in the freezer in the usa no problem and next day take it out of freezer and cook it and eat it and there is never a bad taste...

Old 10-13-2013, 05:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,349,856 times
Quote:
Got another question that might seems silly to ask.

But i been buying chicken legs at the grocery store at intermarche supermarket in the mont-plateau area. The thing is back in the usa, i would buy a bunch of them b/c i dont like to go out and buy grocery 2 times a week. I prefer to just buy a bunch of chicken breast and then i put them in the freezer and the ones im eeating today, i put it in the fridge.

Well i bought a ton of chicken legs and put it in the freezer and well i had to throw a few of them out b/c there was smell to it and thus the chicken seems to be bad. Whenever i buy chicken, i always buy the ones where it expires the latest date i can find. Well in the usa, even if i bought something on the 1st and it says best to eat before the 5th... i just put it in my freezer and then when im going to eat it, i just take it out of the freezer the day before and then im fine. So i could still eat it on the 7th or 8th b/c i had put it in the freezer till the 6th or 7th.

Does the chicken here go bad faster? I had lived in another apartment in another area and i had to throw out the chicken just 3-4 days laters b/c there was a very bad smell to it. I had to do it again now. Thing is i keep it in the freezer until the day i cook it but it already has a smell. This almost never happened when i buy chicken breast back in the usa.

Does anyone know the reason? Maybe its b/c im buying chicken legs/thighs here as oppose to chicken breast? I just went and bought some chicken breasts today and bought a few of them so i will be eating it in a few days but is it normal for chicken to start smelling just after 3-4 days? I could keep it close to 1 week in the freezer in the usa no problem and next day take it out of freezer and cook it and eat it and there is never a bad taste...
I've never experienced that. Maybe your market is selling you old chicken, and changing the expiry date.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,145,961 times
I'm pretty sure the chicken doesn't know it's Canadian, so it probably reacts the same way when you put it in the freezer.

Maybe you should ask in the cooking forum. Chicken thighs are fatter and naturally smellier than chicken breast.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,544,232 times
I think it's maybe you have a crap freezer? You're going to all these random apartments, the freezers in them may be super old, cheap freezers that don't work very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal