Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM

5,523 posts, read 8,781,160 times

Advertisements

Just completed a stay there and wanted to let the residents there and here on C-D that you have an absolutely wonderful city.

I've been there before, but had time to explore neighborhoods this time (I posted a question earlier here about Côte-des-Neiges ) as opposed to tourist sites --though I did eat a a wonderful dinner at a restaurant in Old Montreal, Barroco. In addition to CDN I walked around the Plateau, Outremont, the Village, and Little Burgundy. That neighborhood, like CDN reminded me so much of Harlem --halfway gentrified but still retaining some of the old-school feeling.

But those gas prices! By the time I did the calculations and I figured we were paying roughly $5.35 (US) a gallon I began to be grateful for what we pay here at home! I'd have thought that with all the oil and gas in Canada you folks would have cheap gas, but I guess that isn't true. Is gas that expensive in the whole country or is it just Quebec?

I was so impressed by how folks in the city seem to manage the multiculturalism of the place without the angst and trauma you find here in NYC. Very much a live and let live atmosphere regardless of race and ethnicity. (But maybe not language?) On a day to day level I'd imagine that being what you folks call "a visible minority" seems far less stressful there than here. Of course Canada has a entirely different history around race than the US, so perhaps that should come as no surprise.

Beyond that, Montrealers were all friendly, eager to talk to me when I asked questions, quick to point of the beauties of their city as well as its faults (taxes!taxes! taxes!). And I would add poutine, but that I guess is and acquired taste LOL! The city is as vibrant, beautiful and lively as I remember it, and I hope it stays that way.

Look forward to coming again and again, thank you Montreal!

Last edited by citylove101; 08-06-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,882,821 times
Canada charges higher gas taxes than they do in the U.S., but gas prices in Canada are almost half the price of what people pay in Europe. North Americans in general should be thankful for cheaper gas prices than Europe and many other parts of the world. So yes, gas prices in rest of Canada are very similar to those in Quebec, although I believe Quebec charges the highest tax rate. Any type of tax in Quebec is lower than those in Europe, so I don't know why they complain. They get universal healthcare, most welfare in the country, very low cost or free daycare, cheap rents and housing, etc.

Montreal is truly a beautiful city, and I wish I lived there and learned to speak French fluently. They have the amazing French language, beautiful and well dressed up people, great restaurants, amazing culture, beautiful architecture, parks, history, churches, museums, amusement parks, and much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times
Quote:

Just completed a stay there and wanted to let the residents there and here on
C-D that you have an absolutely wonderful city.
Well, thank you! We like it very much.
I have lived in many different places but always come back to Montreal. There's no place like it.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Montreal is truly a beautiful city, and I wish I lived there and learned to speak French fluently. They have the amazing French language, beautiful and well dressed up people, great restaurants, amazing culture, beautiful architecture, parks, history, churches, museums, amusement parks, and much more!
You certainly sound enamored with our city of Montreal, Why not move here? or if thats not possible take a very lengthy yearly vacation to the city..

Heres a website i frequently post as it captures one couples visit to Montreal perfectly A bit pro real estate but one gets the idea of Montreal quite well..Also a bit on Quebec city as well.
http://www.lovelettertomontreal.com/
In my travels around N.America the only comparable places would be Manhattan, Boston or San Francisco.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-06-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,336,724 times
Quote:

Heres a website i frequently post as it captures one couples visit to
Montreal perfectly
I found City-Data through a link at that site. It sums up our fair city beautifully.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You certainly sound enamored with our city of Montreal, Why not move here? or if thats not possible take a very lengthy yearly vacation to the city..

Heres a website i frequently post as it captures one couples visit to Montreal perfectly A bit pro real estate but one gets the idea of Montreal quite well..Also a bit on Quebec city as well.
MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City
In my travels around N.America the only comparable places would be Manhattan, Boston or San Francisco.
It's not easy to immigrate unless you speak French, have a job or married a Canadian...
I'm not fan of having a place in Montreal since I don't have extra money and would loce to travel worldwide and not only same place.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
It's not easy to immigrate unless you speak French, have a job or married a Canadian...
I'm not fan of having a place in Montreal since I don't have extra money and would loce to travel worldwide and not only same place.
As said before move to an English place in Canada then when the immigration paperwork is done then move to Quebec.
Getting a job shouldnt be a problem if you have qualifications. Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.ca
Marry a Canadian? many have and are happy with that decision.
You dont need to rent an Apartment in Montreal just stay in affordable hostels during your vacations to Montreal..Montreal Hostels Listing - All Hostels in Montreal at Hostels.com
Traveling around the world is going to be very expensive,Montreal might be a good compromise seeing as you like the place so much.My daughter just got back from a 2 month backpacking trip around Europe staying in a combination of hotels and hostels, her bank account is now $6000 lighter

Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Just completed a stay there and wanted to let the residents there and here on C-D that you have an absolutely wonderful city.

I've been there before, but had time to explore neighborhoods this time (I posted a question earlier here about Côte-des-Neiges ) as opposed to tourist sites --though I did eat a a wonderful dinner at a restaurant in Old Montreal, Barroco. In addition to CDN I walked around the Plateau, Outremont, the Village, and Little Burgundy. That neighborhood, like CDN reminded me so much of Harlem --halfway gentrified but still retaining some of the old-school feeling.

But those gas prices! By the time I did the calculations and I figured we were paying roughly $5.35 (US) a gallon I began to be grateful for what we pay here at home! I'd have thought that with all the oil and gas in Canada you folks would have cheap gas, but I guess that isn't true. Is gas that expensive in the whole country or is it just Quebec?

I was so impressed by how folks in the city seem to manage the multiculturalism of the place without the angst and trauma you find here in NYC. Very much a live and let live atmosphere regardless of race and ethnicity. (But maybe not language?) On a day to day level I'd imagine that being what you folks call "a visible minority" seems far less stressful there than here. Of course Canada has a entirely different history around race than the US, so perhaps that should come as no surprise.

Beyond that, Montrealers were all friendly, eager to talk to me when I asked questions, quick to point of the beauties of their city as well as its faults (taxes!taxes! taxes!). And I would add poutine, but that I guess is and acquired taste LOL! The city is as vibrant, beautiful and lively as I remember it, and I hope it stays that way.

Look forward to coming again and again, thank you Montreal!
Back to the OP...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed our city so much. It is a very interesting melting pot where most everyone has a "live and let live" mentality. (Except for the language police, as you already figured out.)

Gas prices are ridiculous, yes. I recently returned home (here) from living in the States for 10 years, and when I asked for $50 in gas, the attendant said, "That's all?" Right. That only gave me little more than half a tank. Sigh...

Dairy prices are ridiculous too. Speaking of dairy, even though I'm a Montreal native, I don't like poutine either. The cheese squeaks. Feh.

Anyway, you're right -- it's a great city. I'm happy that you enjoyed it. Come again! (And bring me a block of Cabot extra-sharp cheddar? )

Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,533,948 times
I think gas prices in Canada are just right. The States has artificially cheap gas, the drivers are not paying the full cost of the infrastructure they use with taxes that low and everyone else has to subsidize it through general revenues. Gas prices at Quebec levels are about right for maintaining the costly infrastructure that underlies urban sprawl, and even here it isn't really enough. Montreal, however, doesn't have the country's highest gas prices, Vancouver's are slightly higher.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think gas prices in Canada are just right. The States has artificially cheap gas, the drivers are not paying the full cost of the infrastructure they use with taxes that low and everyone else has to subsidize it through general revenues. Gas prices at Quebec levels are about right for maintaining the costly infrastructure that underlies urban sprawl, and even here it isn't really enough. Montreal, however, doesn't have the country's highest gas prices, Vancouver's are slightly higher.
In America I pay $45 for full tank and could drive around 400 km. Americans think gas is expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal