Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,512 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm going to be moving out of my parents place soon i'm 19 and finished cegep.I'm not planning on going to uni just yet. I got a job offer giving me 15$ the hour plus commission. When I had my interview they told me that I should expect a salary of 30k a year. which to me sounds nice since all i've had till now is minimum wage. Anyways my questions are :
-How much should I spend on rent?
-How much will I spend on food? (I'm moving out alone)
-Can I go to the movies or out for supper a couple of nights a week?
-With this kind of money can I have savings?

Basically what does 30k give me. Thanks for the answers in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM

42 posts, read 78,590 times
Rent is around $500 - $750 for one bedroom (Maximum $900 for everything including utilities) Food will cost you around $100/week. Yes, you will live fine. Be lucky you are getting that much at your age.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:04 PM

103 posts, read 169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliht View Post
Hi,

I'm going to be moving out of my parents place soon i'm 19 and finished cegep.I'm not planning on going to uni just yet. I got a job offer giving me 15$ the hour plus commission. When I had my interview they told me that I should expect a salary of 30k a year. which to me sounds nice since all i've had till now is minimum wage. Anyways my questions are :
-How much should I spend on rent?
-How much will I spend on food? (I'm moving out alone)
-Can I go to the movies or out for supper a couple of nights a week?
-With this kind of money can I have savings?

Basically what does 30k give me. Thanks for the answers in advance
Is that 30 before or after the taxes etc taking off your pay?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
$15 an hour will give you $600 on a 40 hour week, after tax and assorted deductions you are probably looking at $450-$500 take home,
Average $600-$700 a month for small apartment,
$400 a month for food,double that if you cant cook and need to eat in restaurants,
Hydro bill count on $100 a month
Cable bill, telephone bill and internet? around $200 a month
Bus pass $84 per month.
Miscellaneous expenses $100 per month
Obviously theres no financial room for a car
And resist the urge to use credit cards as if you get behind you'll never have enough to repay.
Just the bare minimum of expenses that i can think of off the top of my head is going to put you very close to the edge financially.
Is living at home with mom and dad really that much of a hassle?
My 23 year old daughter is still living at home,its not a problem in fact its a pleasure we dont charge her room and board, since finishing college last year she has acquired a $15 an hour job with the city of Pointe Claire she saved all her money and is now in the middle of a 2 month tour of Europe.
If you dont have to leave the family home and life aint bad i'd resist the urge to head out on your own ,soon enough you'll be forced into the life of bills and responsibilities babies and spouses,
For now take the job and save your money by living at home..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal