Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Has New Orleans lost any of it 's character and charm now that it's mostly English speaking?
It's certainly lost any French or francophone character that it had but it's true it has morphed into something unique because of the particular forces at play down there.

But this would appear to be a fairly unique case, at least in Canada and the US.

There are scores of places in North America that used to be French-speaking or of another language and culture and which have anglicized and are now basically generic Anytowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 AM
pdw

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
You don't seem to get it, Acajack. Laurentian University in Sudbury and the University of Ottawa are bilingual. Neither McGill or Concordia are English-only anymore, so that almost evens things out in university education (Bishop's has what, 2000 students?). I would be in full support of more Ontario services being given to French Canadians, and I would willingly pay higher taxes to fund this. This is about RIGHTS, though. You are wrong about RIGHTS. In every single province in Canada, immigrant students who speak French as their first language are allowed to go to French school if they are Canadian citizens. All 10 provinces in Canada allow French signs to be displayed at any size they want. In Quebec, the child of immigrants from Jamaica is forced into a French school, even though if it was the child of immigrants from Haiti in Ontario, they would be allowed to go to a French school. In Ontario Réné's French bookstore doesn't need any sign in English if he doesn't want it to, but in Quebec, Mohammed needs to put French signs double the size of all the other languages combined at his Halal meat market, even if he only deals with Arabic-speaking customers.
We want to be treated as equals in the eyes of Quebec's government, and that hasn't been the case for over 30 years now.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You don't seem to get it, Acajack. Laurentian University in Sudbury and the University of Ottawa are bilingual. Neither McGill or Concordia are English-only anymore, so that almost evens things out in university education .
Laurentian and Ottawa U are most definitely not the equivalents of McGill and Concordia for the linguistic minority communities. If anything they contribute to the assimilation of francophones by offering an English-dominated milieu as the only place you can study in French, as well as only partially French degree programs in many fields.

Don't try to dick around with me on francophone education in the ROC - I know what I am talking about.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
We want to be treated as equals in the eyes of Quebec's government, and that hasn't been the case for over 30 years now.
Except for maybe in New Brunswick, francophones in the ROC aren't treated as an equal "founding people" by their governments either. The areas in which this unequal treatment occurs may differ - and I'd venture to say that the effects in the ROC are much more disastrous on the communities' viability than the cosmetic obligation to have French on store signs (and which does not ban English BTW).

Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to get it, Acajack. Laurentian University in Sudbury and the University of Ottawa are bilingual. Neither McGill or Concordia are English-only anymore, so that almost evens things out in university education (Bishop's has what, 2000 students?). I would be in full support of more Ontario services being given to French Canadians, and I would willingly pay higher taxes to fund this. This is about RIGHTS, though. You are wrong about RIGHTS. In every single province in Canada, immigrant students who speak French as their first language are allowed to go to French school if they are Canadian citizens. All 10 provinces in Canada allow French signs to be displayed at any size they want. In Quebec, the child of immigrants from Jamaica is forced into a French school, even though if it was the child of immigrants from Haiti in Ontario, they would be allowed to go to a French school. In Ontario Réné's French bookstore doesn't need any sign in English if he doesn't want it to, but in Quebec, Mohammed needs to put French signs double the size of all the other languages combined at his Halal meat market, even if he only deals with Arabic-speaking customers.
Francophones would gladly accept an obligation to have English mandatory on their store signs (they already almost always have English on their signs BTW - because they respect the fact they are in Ontario) if the trade off is all the other goodies the Anglo-Quebec community gets.

You know, way back in the early days of the first PQ government, they proposed a reciprocity agreement between the ROC provinces and Quebec, regarding the treatment of the minorities. Basically, anglos in Quebec couldn't get anything that francos in the ROC couldn't. And vice verse. Well holy cow didn't everyone backtrack quickly on that so fast that it made your head spin. Everyone in agreed that it would be grossly unfair to the anglos of Quebec to do this! Even the federal government got involved to stop it from happening on this basis! And even the PQ itself eventually agreed that it would be too unfair to Quebec anglos to treat them like francos in the ROC!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 AM

484 posts, read 1,287,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
I started with saying "Bonjour" and "Parlez-Vous Anglais" at least. I mastered few words....
I would be very mad and annoyed if I was greeted with Hello first.
Oh the Irony, You want everything in Quebec to be in French, but still ask for service in English.

And shame on the rest of you for falling for this troll's bait.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,237,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Has New Orleans lost any of it 's character and charm now that it's mostly English speaking?
For tourists, no. Have you read any French literature from francophone Americans about the loss of their heritage? I think they would argue that yes, it has lost it's character and charm. Not that anyone cares about what they think, but that's part of the problem.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
pdw

Oh my gosh, Acajack. I don't know why I even bother replying to your posts. You seem to have no problem with double standards concerning language as long as they are in your favour. You have an extremely one-sided view of Canada.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Oh my gosh, Acajack. I don't know why I even bother replying to your posts. You seem to have no problem with double standards concerning language as long as they are in your favour. You have an extremely one-sided view of Canada.
Sorry buddy, but I've got family roots as a francophone outside Quebec going back 400 years, I've spent the better part of the past 25 years following and studying these issues extensively, and I have even worked in the language rights field.

Chatting about this with me is obviously going to be more challenging for you than on the summer backyard BBQ circuit in Oakville you are used to and where everyone just nods their head in approval and you can easily pass for some type of ordained resident expert on the topic.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sorry buddy, but I've got family roots as a francophone outside Quebec going back 400 years, I've spent the better part of the past 25 years following and studying these issues extensively, and I have even worked in the language rights field.
If all of this is true and you still don't understand the anglo perspective, that's pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal