Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah, Montreal gets all the obnoxious and loud sports fans from Boston.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,423,162 times
Acajack, have you had run-ins with them too?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Acajack, have you had run-ins with them too?
Yes. Crescent St. often feels like a Boston College frat party unfortunately.

Downtown hotels on weekend nights can also be especially bad.

About a month or so ago I was in Montreal for the weekend with my family and was pleasantly surprised: our hotel was totally normal and civilized and was not filled with 18-year-old New Englanders who seemingly have never had a beer or seen an attractive female.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,686 posts, read 3,104,202 times
I see more American licence plates in a weekend in Montreal during tourist season than I have seen in the entire rest of Canada combined in my entire lifetime.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM

304 posts, read 1,426,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes. Crescent St. often feels like a Boston College frat party unfortunately.

Downtown hotels on weekend nights can also be especially bad.

About a month or so ago I was in Montreal for the weekend with my family and was pleasantly surprised: our hotel was totally normal and civilized and was not filled with 18-year-old New Englanders who seemingly have never had a beer or seen an attractive female.
Add in mass vomiting, fighting and pissing everywhere and you have Leaf fans in Montreal weekend!

A friend of mine was a server at Hurley's and she always gave the American kids change in twonies and loonies. They thought of it as loose coin and inadvertently left massive tips. hehehe!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 PM

185 posts, read 193,658 times
Many Americans visit Quebec because it is French speaking and unique. Many people living in NYC/NJ visit Montreal also because it is only 5-6 hrs drive, closer than Ontario.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I see more American licence plates in a weekend in Montreal during tourist season than I have seen in the entire rest of Canada combined in my entire lifetime.
When I lived in London ON, I would sometimes see American plates. Always knew they had grown weary on their way to Niagara Falls or Toronto. We had a double-decker tour bus that departed from City Hall once a day and I always wanted to jump on. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they could possibly fill an hour or more driving around London. "Those are trees.. that's a house.. this is the University.."

Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 PM

185 posts, read 193,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Montreal is amazing!! I wish I lived there. Give me your Canadian citizen

Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Many Americans visit Quebec because it is French speaking and unique. Many people living in NYC/NJ visit Montreal also because it is only 5-6 hrs drive, closer than Ontario.
I lived in Old Montreal for 3 months and there were heaps of Americans down there all the time. I had mixed feeling about living down there because it was inundated with tourists (from everywhere) 24/7. I couldn't walk 5 minutes without somebody asking me for info or directions to somewhere!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Right. And in the decades prior to 1642, there were no natives driven away by the French. They showed up to a completely vacant forest and thus, the area called "New France" was always French.
Um, actually, no the French did not drive the natives off of Montreal. Jacques Cartier did find a large town called Hochelaga there and stayed as a guest there for awhile before sailing off, but when de Maissoneuve returned 80 years later the town was already gone, possibly due to war with other Iroquois groups, the St. Lawrence Iroquoians seem to have been largely exterminated or assimilated by the Mohawks and other constituents of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy. As such, nobody lived on Montreal, although it was often hunted on by nomadic Algonquin tribes who were allied with the French and relied on them for the profitable fur trade, and by the Mohawks who considered the island part of their expanded territory, and they did have a problem with the French settling on an uninhabited island within their borders, mostly because they were trading with their Algonquin enemies. The French were often raided by Mohawk attacks, funded and encouraged by the New Englanders, who were their allies. As such, there was deep warfare between the French and the Iroquois Confederacy but the French were permitted to settle on the lands they did by the local Algonquin tribes and there was no driving anybody off their lands until after the end of French colonial rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal