Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times

Advertisements

Go to St. Viateur Bagels or Fairmount Bagels. Having tried both and not saying this for homer reasons, I greatly prefer the Montreal bagel to the New York bagel, which I find too light and bready. Montreal bagels are very dense, and sweet because of the honey water. Here's a crazy food blog battle between St. Viateur and Fairmount comparing them:

Montreal Bagel Throwdown: Fairmount vs. St-Viateur

BTW, not to dis New York bagels, they're good in their own way. I feel like sometimes it comes down to what you're used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,341,503 times
I think it's still too cold for the Tam Tams. I drove by there last weekend and nothing was happening.
Things like the Planetarium are great, but they have planetariums in most major cities, and perhaps the OP would like to do things that are exclusive to Montreal. How about a good old-fashioned sugaring off? There are places just outside the city and many are open through April.
Hon, you can't possibly be on a diet or count calories while you're here. It's one of the gastronomical capitals of North America. The boulangeries and patisseries, the chocolateries, the local artisanal cheeses, the fabulous French restaurants....heaven!
Montreal smoked meat and bagels are to die for! I gave up meat several years ago and the only thing I really miss is Montreal smoked meat.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 04-17-2013 at 02:30 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Go to St. Viateur Bagels or Fairmount Bagels. Having tried both and not saying this for homer reasons, I greatly prefer the Montreal bagel to the New York bagel, which I find too light and bready. Montreal bagels are very dense, and sweet because of the honey water. Here's a crazy food blog battle between St. Viateur and Fairmount comparing them:

Montreal Bagel Throwdown: Fairmount vs. St-Viateur

BTW, not to dis New York bagels, they're good in their own way. I feel like sometimes it comes down to what you're used to.
This comment is near and dear to my heart.

When I left Montreal, in 2005, to live in the U.S., I knew that I'd miss my bagels. I just didn't know quite how much!

Living in Connecticut, it took me TWO YEARS to find a decent bagel place -- and I had to try them ALL. That decent bagel place didn't have Montreal-style bagels -- no, they simply had bagels that I could tolerate. Then we moved to Massachusetts. The only bagels that I'd eat were from the grocery store: Ray's New York Bagels.

I moved back home to Montreal a few months ago. BAGELS. I have two dozen in my freezer right now. I'm in heaven.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM

When I visit my friends in Vermont, I ask them what they would like me to bring. Six dozen BAGELS!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This comment is near and dear to my heart.

When I left Montreal, in 2005, to live in the U.S., I knew that I'd miss my bagels. I just didn't know quite how much!

Living in Connecticut, it took me TWO YEARS to find a decent bagel place -- and I had to try them ALL. That decent bagel place didn't have Montreal-style bagels -- no, they simply had bagels that I could tolerate. Then we moved to Massachusetts. The only bagels that I'd eat were from the grocery store: Ray's New York Bagels.

I moved back home to Montreal a few months ago. BAGELS. I have two dozen in my freezer right now. I'm in heaven.
I was lucky enough that when I moved a year and a half ago, it was to Vancouver. Surprisingly, they do have some great bagel places here, one even walking distance from me. They're not Montreal bagels exactly, but they're very close, and that's been a blessing. The city also surprised in its huge array of poutine places, even with cool innovations like a curry dipping sauces. The smoked meat was lacking, but there's even a Dunn's now!

Anyhow, I second the idea of making a day trip to a sugar shack, sugaring off is a very typical Quebec experience. Only if you can bear the calories though, it's not fancy, and it's a diet meant for people who worked hard outside all day in the freezing cold and needed lots of energy.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 PM

OK, I've enough. I'm going out to buy bagels. There are four places with wood-burning ovens churning out hot bagels within walking distance. See ya!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,070,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I was lucky enough that when I moved a year and a half ago, it was to Vancouver.
You're in Vancouver? Ahhhhh, one of my VERY favorite cities in the world. I used to go every summer and loved it like crazy; I loved absolutely everything about Vancouver. Well, no... not the drivers. I think they're worse than Montreal drivers. But, aside from that, Vancouver is every flavor of awesome.

Enjoy every minute. I'm so envious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
OK, I've enough. I'm going out to buy bagels. There are four places with wood-burning ovens churning out hot bagels within walking distance. See ya!
I *heart* you right now.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 AM

108 posts, read 247,917 times
You guys are making me hungry! I'll definitely be going out for a bagel (or two) and a nice cup of coffee for breakfast.

@Weltschmerz - You're right, this is not the time to be on a diet! I plan to enjoy all the yummy food that Montreal has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal