Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times

Advertisements

I'm not justifying any wrongdoing, but the French Canadians have always been brothers in my mind, and I feel our anglophone community needs to be given equal recognition in Quebec. One language doesn't deserve to be treated as superior to the other.

Lots of communities have faced discrimination throughout Quebec's history. Also, French Canadians have often been the perpetrators themselves.

My point is, instead of focusing on just remebering the past, we should focus on ensuring that historical mistakes are not repeated.

Last edited by pdw; 07-19-2013 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM

11 posts, read 13,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
"Still"? Quebec has always been bilingual. I don't understand.
That's not true.
Quebec has always been french. Stop making Montreal the center of everything. The fact is the country is too big to have the same "needs" for everyone. That's the way it always been. French outside Quebec doesn't have the same rights as English here. Maybe on paper but not in reality.

Logic is :
If I move to Spain, I'll speak spanish. If I move to Japan, I'll speak japanese.
the things is ... If you move to Quebec, you'll speak your language here.
Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
PDW lived in a different Montreal than I do. Not sure how long ago he lived here, but today, us anglos have to work and function in public life in French. Tourists operate in English, locals in French.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
I feel our anglophone community needs to be given equal recognition in Quebec. One language doesn't deserve to be treated as superior to the other.

That all changed when the Francophones of Quebec were given the opportunity to enact their charter of the French language/Bill101 which is basically a blank cheque to enact any legislation they felt necessary to protect their Francophone culture and make sure as minorities in N.America they got to be very distinct by basically doing everything they could legally get away with to eliminate the Anglo population in Quebec.
Bill 14 is just a beefed up bill101 that doubles down on language restrictions on Anglophones.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-30-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I'm not justifying any wrongdoing, but the French Canadians have always been brothers in my mind, and I feel our anglophone community needs to be given equal recognition in Quebec. One language doesn't deserve to be treated as superior to the other.

Lots of communities have faced discrimination throughout Quebec's history. Also, French Canadians have often been the perpetrators themselves.

My point is, instead of focusing on just remebering the past, we should focus on ensuring that historical mistakes are not repeated.
There was anti-semitism on the part of francophones for sure but this sign does look like a fake to me. The bizarre English text is what is the giveaway I'd say.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM

I cant attest to the validity of the signs but i do recall some news stories on anti Jewish sentiment up in the Laurentians.. No idea whats behind the issue but something aint right up there.

'Some people in Ste. Agathe are so racist'

Shootings at Jewish families shake up community in Ste. Agathe, Quebec | Jewish Tribune

http://www.vhec.org/images/pdfs/TCTH...ct%20Pages.pdf

Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 AM

11 posts, read 13,094 times
Look,
I'm french... and I just can't get served (often) in french in Montreal.
How weird is that.

Je suis chez moi ici.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambounet View Post
Look,
How weird is that.

Je suis chez moi ici.
I find that very hard to believe as from my experience living in Montreal its the rare event where i'll get served by a unilingual Anglophone, in fact i cant remember it ever happening, Where is it you are having a hard time getting served in French? sounds like some place i might want to move to.

As for= Je suis chez moi ici.? Whats that supposed to mean?

Last edited by jambo101; 07-31-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM

408 posts, read 607,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambounet View Post
Look,
How weird is that.

Je suis chez moi ici.
I've lived here all my life and that is just lying on your part. Sorry to have to call you out on it.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quebec will never be a French province no matter how much you plug your ears and cover your eyes. That is not the reality of the situation. You seem to think Montreal is the only place in Quebec where anglophones live. Are you serious? Anglophones form the plurality or majority in many towns in every corner of the province. From St Augustine on the Lower North Shore to Hudson in the Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM. Our status in Quebec is an udeniable fact.The French language is not under threat in Quebec, and Bill 101 isn't the reason why. I can prove this. Look at the percentage of anglophones in the 1960, 1970 census figures for Quebec. The percentage of anglophones was already decreasing prior to Bill 101 so your little excuse is clearly false. Keep running around shouting "Le Québec aux Québécois!" You don't need to be French to be a Quebecer, the same way you don't need to be English to be a Canadian. Trying to equate French Canadian culture with Quebec is pathetic. If you were truly proud of your language, you would recognise that French Canadians have the power to run all of Canada, not just a corner of it. Some of the greatest leaders in Canadian history have been French Canadians, but that's fine, you keep chasing your pipe dream of an independent Quebec. It will never happen, because Quebec, like Canada is bilingual. It doesn't matter how you think it should be, that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal