Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:41 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-paul View Post
Learning French does not prevent one from learning Chinese as well.
Correct, and I have learned both while living in Vancouver. The issue is convincing the western population that the language debate should matter to them, because right now, it does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
You believe a lot of things about a place that you don't know anything about!

It would be lovely if children could grow up learning both languages plus an additional language but in practical reality, it isn't going to happen on a large scale. Mine do - they are in a trilingual school (with Spanish) but that is my choice.

I'm an ESL teacher. I know about language learning and I love languages (I know English obviously, I speak intermediate French, and I have taken years of Mandarin and Japanese).

But let's talk practical reality. In BC, I was a 911 operator for years before becoming a teacher. Do you know what language I used over and over again in my DAILY LIFE? Aside from English?

It was Mandarin.

Let's talk about what "useful" means. What is USEFUL? Please, tell me - do you think that a unilingual francophone has ever needed a translation when applying for a driver's license? Doubtful. What about Mandarin? Holy heck, you better believe it.

Yes, I think you dream of a united Canada based on language, but you are also coming from your central Canadian perspective that the west actually cares that much about the central Canadian language debate. I can assure you, it is irrelevant in practical daily life in British Columbia. Western Canadians also in general tend to resent any imposition of learning French becausethat is seen as imposing central Canadian perspective on them.
I think you make a good point. I speak two languages fluently (English and Spanish) and have a fairly good comprehension of written French. I want to take French classes and become proficient in French in the near future. But I live in Ontario, where French does have a significant presence, irrespective of its proximity to Quebec. But I think once you pass through Manitoba, the French language lacks the relevance it has in the Maritimes and Central Canada. Sure, we aspire to be a bilingual nation, but in the West there is little incentive or need to learn French, and Québécois culture is pretty much irrelevant there. However, I would like to see central Canada become more bilingual, on both sides of the French-English divide. French speakers in Quebec learning to speak decent English, and English speakers in other provinces learning to speak decent French would do much to realize Canada's vision as a bilingual nation. It would also take some of the steam out of the separatist's argument if more Canadians embraced bilingualism. I, for one, am willing and ready to resume my study of French.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Everyone being bilingual is a noble idea but for many their whole lives are in one particular language work,school,friends,social interaction around town,i'm not quite getting what the motivation is for these people to all of a sudden start learning and speaking another language, if i werent living in Quebec but somewhere else in the ROC why would i want to speak anything other than the language of predominance which most probably would be English.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:35 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Isn't Cantonese more widespread here in Canada than Mandarin?

Bill 14 is another attack on language rights in Quebec and no self-respecting anglophone, allophone or even francophone should be in favour of its passage.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Bill 14 is another attack on language rights in Quebec and no self-respecting anglophone, allophone or even francophone should be in favour of its passage.
Agreed!! reading a summary of what bill14 intends is eye opening ,, like REALLY!! you cant be serious,,,let me assure you the separatist government is very serious about it....
CBC.ca Montreal - Interactive - Highlights from Bill 14
Who could possibly want to live under such repressive legislation,just reading these posted highlights has got to tell the outside observer this aint right in fact its absurd and sounds like an illegal suspension of human rights/civil liberties.. And then theres bill101 which is just page after page of this kind of stuff.
I cant seriously believe for a moment the rest oif Canada will agree to living under these linguistic laws to make buddy buddy with our compatriots from Quebec.

A dated piece but still relevant 13 years later..
http://www.segacs.com/twik/html/politics.html

Last edited by jambo101; 07-16-2013 at 01:44 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Correct, and I have learned both while living in Vancouver. The issue is convincing the western population that the language debate should matter to them, because right now, it does not.
Why should the language debate matter to the western population?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant seriously believe for a moment the rest oif Canada will agree to living under these linguistic laws to make buddy buddy with our compatriots from Quebec.
As silly as so-called "Bill 14" is, the "rest of Canada" doesn't have to agree or disagree. Bill 14 is a provincial draft bill and would have no effect on those outside of Quebec.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-paul View Post
As silly as so-called "Bill 14" is, the "rest of Canada" doesn't have to agree or disagree. Bill 14 is a provincial draft bill and would have no effect on those outside of Quebec.
Just basic human nature to react when seeing curtailment of human rights no matter where it is.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Was there ever a credible movement to surpress the French language in Quebec?

Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM

Not that i ever heard of, but to stereotype a bit it was a given that for the longest time the English had the money and set up the industrial infrastructure of Quebec,it was a natural occurrence for those with the money to inhabit the head offices of most companies and to surround themselves with Anglophone co workers, the Francophone for the most part were relegated to the factory floors and related labor jobs.. i have a feeling our New member Pierrepaul could answer that question more precisely...

Last edited by jambo101; 07-17-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal