Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 13,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I find that very hard to believe as from my experience living in Montreal its the rare event where i'll get served by a unilingual Anglophone, in fact i cant remember it ever happening, Where is it you are having a hard time getting served in French? sounds like some place i might want to move to.

As for= Je suis chez moi ici.? Whats that supposed to mean?
Je suis chez moi ici = is like, It's my home. I do live here.

The last 2 time I came to Montreal I got served by anglophone (restaurant, summer 2013). They didn't speak french.

Everywhere I went, more than half was speaking in english (I guess some were franco). Metro - street - restaurant.

Quebec is french, like I said, stop making Montreal the center of it.

Population selon la connaissance des langues officielles, régions administratives, 2011

2011 :
Population : 7 815 955
French : 4 047 175
English : 363 860
French and english : 3 328 725
Other : 76 195

2011 Montreal :
Population : 1 862 195
French : 521 020
English : 218 820
French and english : 1 073 815
Other : 48 545

The point is for the French and english :
In Montreal : speak english.
Outside : speak french.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Population selon la langue maternelle, régions administratives, 2011

Population by mother tongue :
Total :
French : 6 102 210
English : 599 225

Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Telling people "speak French" in Clarendon or Harrington Harbour? Hahaha. Good luck with that.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM

What's the point ? What you want more ?

Quebec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

80% of Quebec is french... and the other 20% is not english.

So we must start crying for them (english people) and do all they want.
Pay for their hospital cause they don't want ours.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambounet View Post
What's the point ? What you want more ?

Quebec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

80% of Quebec is french... and the other 20% is not english.

So we must start crying for them (english people) and do all they want.
Pay for their hospital cause they don't want ours.
Feel like filling this short quizz bizarro-world jambo?

a) English speaking institutions(schools. cegeps, universities, hospitals...) are an alien bacteria infecting and killing our heritage

b)Those same institutions are somewhat of a drain on public resources but show an openness to the outside world

c) They attract brains, capital, and high-skilled jobs and are a great investment

d) They cater to a dwindling demographic and should be phased out in time

Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM
pdw

"English" hospitals in Quebec are bilingual. And yes, I do in fact think that the provincial government should accommodate a linguistic minority of 1 million people. The federal government accommodates French Canadians, as do many other provinces, including, but not limited to, New Brunswick, Ontario and Manitoba.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambounet View Post
Je suis chez moi ici = is like, It's my home. I do live here.

The last 2 time I came to Montreal I got served by anglophone (restaurant, summer 2013). They didn't speak french.

Everywhere I went, more than half was speaking in english (I guess some were franco). Metro - street - restaurant.

Quebec is french, like I said, stop making Montreal the center of it.

Je suis chez moi ici
Guess that saying applies to this Anglo as well,as its my home and i live here to.
If all these businesses were not serving you in French then make complaints to your Office Quebecois de la Langue Francais thats its main mandate to eradicate English, language police would have been on scene in short order..
Who is actually making Montreal the center of Quebec French? could it be because Montreal is the financial hub of Quebec?,Take Montreal out of the game and what have you got?
As for your demographics Quebec is
8% Anglophone
8% Allophone
The remainder being French
As for crying you seem to be the only one whining on this topic

As for paying for English hospitals you got a short memory as in the mid 90's the separatist government of the day closed 10 English hospitals.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-31-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM

Don't get me wrong.

We have to learn a second language like everyone else.

But Montreal is a city of Quebec. Why do we always must be like american (english). We are not them. I think that if you are here, that's because you want to be a part of us. If not, stop complaining about everything you have not and get out. Would you like to see Vancouver to turn franco. I guess not. That's the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...becer#Montreal
The earliest English-speaking Quebecers arrived in Montreal at the beginning of the British regime in the second half of the 18th century.

It's not that I hate everyone, It's just that I want to feel at home and be myself.
When I visit a new country, I want to see them as they are.

And by the way, french communities outside Quebec doesn't have what you english have here.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 PM
pdw

French Canadians outside of Quebec have the right to send their children to French public schools if they are a francophone, and the right to post signs with French as large as they want. Quebec is not anglicising. The anglophone population has been declining in percentage since at least 1960. That's over 50 years now. Even before Bill 101, if you can believe it. Can you at least agree with us that Quebec is bilingual, not just French?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:52 PM

Ok then, I give up.
Anyway I'm the bad guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal