Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,353 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I know there are lots of posts on working in English in Montreal, but this is a bit more specific. I'm an Australian civil engineer with about 3 years experience and am planning to move to Montreal later this year (my girlfriend is quebecoise). I speak some French (say intermediate level), definitely enough to get by day to day, but not enough to work in yet. I also speak Spanish (don't know if that helps?).

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if:
1) Any civil engineering work in Montreal is conducted in English?
2) Anyone knows of any engineering companies in Montreal that work partly or entirely in English?
3) Municipalities in western Montreal (Anglophone areas) work in English or French?

Before a war erupts; I like french, am learning and am not ignorant and expect to speak English all the time in Montreal. I just want some practical information about my prospects of getting a job as an engineer when I first arrive!

Merci beaucoup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
You are asking good questions.

I have only a slight familiarity with the civil engineering field. My sense is that almost all of the work in Quebec takes place in French, almost certainly if the public sector is involved.

As you noted there are some majority anglo municipalities on the west island of Montreal but my sense is that their official works are usually conducted in French as well. I base this on calls for tenders that I have seen mostly in French-language newspapers, and the fact that municipal employees like engineers, clerks, etc. even in the places with more anglos often seem to be francophones.

In many cases with these municipalities projects are run jointly with the provincial government, or neighbouring municipalities, or across the Montreal metropolitan area. All of which mean they'd be run in French.

I believe you may need to know French in order to have professional certification from the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (not 100% sure though - maybe you can ask them or check their site).

Old 03-12-2013, 02:46 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
In the past, you could probably coast. Not now. With the election of Pauline Marois, the Language Taliban is out in full force. You absolutely must speak French.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 AM

408 posts, read 607,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
In the past, you could probably coast. Not now. With the election of Pauline Marois, the Language Taliban is out in full force. You absolutely must speak French.
No. There are many smaller engineering firms for whom the law does not require working in french, and whose clients prefer english.

Even if that weren't the case, an engineer could get by with extremely poor french, perhaps with help from a french-speaking secretary or colleague for certain tasks or documents.

Not speaking french will close many doors, but not all of them if you're a professional in a field with a lot of b2b services.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus_engineer View Post
I'm an Australian civil engineer with about 3 years experience
He'll need a license. What sorts of civil engineering works are b2b?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 AM

408 posts, read 607,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
He'll need a license. What sorts of civil engineering works are b2b?
mostly none, i missed the civil part

Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Yeah, as far as the various types of engineering go, civil is probably the one where French would be the most indispensible in Montreal.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,353 times
Thanks for your responses guys.

Sounds like it's going to be a challenge.

I take it no-one that has posted actually has first or second hand experience though? It is more based on their general understanding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal