Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 AM

12 posts, read 26,375 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to find out what the laws are regarding firearms in Quebec. Here in Florida, I have my license and I can conceal my weapon on me lawfully. How does this play out in Quebec? Is this allowed with proper licensing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic8400 View Post
I'm curious to find out what the laws are regarding firearms in Quebec. Here in Florida, I have my license and I can conceal my weapon on me lawfully. How does this play out in Quebec? Is this allowed with proper licensing?
You will have to adjust that Florida gun culture mentality if you plan on living in Canada..
Carrying a concealed weapon in Canada? good luck with that idea..
Yahoo! Canada Answers - Can I get a concealed weapons permit in Ontario, Canada?

CCW (carrying a concealed weapon),
Quote:
In Canada

The practice of CCW is technically legal in many jurisdictions in Canada; however, in practice, it is often not permitted through the refusal to issue permits. This is the legal situation for Canadians, where an Authorization to Carry (ATC) exists, but the provincial chief firearm officers (CFOs) have agreed not to issue such licenses. Concealment of the firearm is permitted only if specifically stipulated in the terms of the ATC (thus this would then be a specific class of ATC, specifically an ATC-3 or type 3) and is in practice nearly impossible to obtain.
In Canada, for wilderness protection, individuals may receive limited licenses to permit open carry called ATC-2, but only within specific highly restrictive uninhabited areas. There must be sufficient reason to believe the life of the individual could be endangered if not permitted to carry, due to bear or other wildlife activity, and additionally that they would not be feasibly able to carry a long arm Non-restricted Firearm due to other equipment. In practice, the policy toward carrying while hunting has been a complete ban since 1979. CFO staff have been variously quoted as stating "If you can shoot it with a rifle, you can finish it with a rifle." On these grounds, the known number of ATCs issued in any province has remained very low.
In the case of ATCs issued for wilderness purposes, the typical restrictions in Canada are that the firearm be visible at all times (it is an offence in the Canadian Criminal Code to carry any concealed weapon) and may not be worn within five kilometers of any city limit. This has the effect of further limiting the utility of any issued ATC, and thoroughly restricting it only to wilderness locations. Applicants for an ATC for wilderness purposes typically number in the hundreds, and concealed permit holders (ATC-3) are nearly non-existent. Ontario (the most populous Canadian province at 13 million) serves as an apt example: 13 ATC-3 were active and issued in that province as of 2002.[1][2][not in citation given]

Last edited by jambo101; 11-24-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 AM

I had my suspicion of this. It's ok, I was just wondering what the laws were. I'm trying to ensure that I take EVERYTHING into consideration before making the decision to move. (Though I suppose I'm already mentally moved to MTL) Thanks for the info, you seem pretty knowledgable Jambo.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic8400 View Post
I had my suspicion of this. It's ok, I was just wondering what the laws were. I'm trying to ensure that I take EVERYTHING into consideration before making the decision to move. (Though I suppose I'm already mentally moved to MTL) Thanks for the info, you seem pretty knowledgable Jambo.
I'm now retired and live in Montreal, in my earlier life i spent 20 years in St Pete Fla.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM

That's awesome. I live in Ft. Lauderdale. Born and raised here. I absolutely love Montreal. I have family in Vaudreuil and Anjou, so that helps.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 AM

My brother lives in Florida and packs 2 concealed weapons where ever he goes. He says he feels naked when he comes up to Canada as his only protection is a big Swiss Army Knife ..The lack of a gun is something you'll get used to real quick..

Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Haha, yeah I guess so, but in comparison to South Florida, I've heard the crime rates are substantially lower.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 PM

Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
For a big city that isn't particularly wealthy, Montreal is extremely safe, there's hardly a neighbourhood I wouldn't feel perfectly safe in walking around at 3 in the morning (maybe MTL nord). I was born and raised there and lived there until a year and a half ago. I didn't know anyone who owned a weapon for self defence, just not a part of the mentality.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM

BIMBAM, that's great to hear and pretty consistent with what I've heard as well. I was just curious because I want to make sure I get EVERYTHING squared away and cleared up before making the big decision... (though it seems I've already made it....)

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal