Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:18 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Looked at some stuff for fun.

All are changes over five years from 2006 to 2011

Province of Quebec
English only speakers: +27,000 (out of roughly 700-800,000)

French only speakers: +46,000 (out of something like 7 million)

Greater Montreal
English only speakers: +18,000 (out of maybe 500,000)

French only speakers: -3,000 (out of a couple million)

Gatineau
English only speakers: +5,000 (out of maybe 40,000)

French only speakers: +2,000 (out of maybe 220,000)

So basically we are seeing a reversal of the trend (observed uninterrupted since the 1971 census at least I am pretty sure) that seemed to be leading the unilingual Quebec anglo to become an "endangered species".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:15 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Where are the unilingual Francophones from Greater Montreal going?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Where are the unilingual Francophones from Greater Montreal going?
To the bilingual category!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
It's probably because of people moving to Quebec from elsewhere. Hopefully they'll learn the language over time, or their children will.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:04 PM

That's probably it. It's still a huge jump: close to 10%.

Prediction - Anglos in Quebec probably won't be happy with the way this is going to play out politically.

Keep in mind also that I've heard it said a million times lately that the unilingual Quebec anglo was a dying dinosaur, and that anecdotal evidence about an uptick in people demanding English from, say, the supermarket cashier was a figment of our imaginations...

So...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's probably it. It's still a huge jump: close to 10%.

Prediction - Anglos in Quebec probably won't be happy with the way this is going to play out politically.

Keep in mind also that I've heard it said a million times lately that the unilingual Quebec anglo was a dying dinosaur, and that anecdotal evidence about an uptick in people demanding English from, say, the supermarket cashier was a figment of our imaginations...

So...
Well, I guess it's because the children of Anglo Quebec all speak French. I wonder what the age structure is of all these new unilingual anglos. I'd bet they're all adults moving to the province, which means this isn't so worrisome from a longterm sociological point of view. Still, I absolutely believe you that local Anglos will not enjoy what's coming as far as political backlash from this, probably in the form of bill 101 restrictions which just serves to further isolate us and encourages unilingualism.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, I guess it's because the children of Anglo Quebec all speak French. I wonder what the age structure is of all these new unilingual anglos. I'd bet they're all adults moving to the province, which means this isn't so worrisome from a longterm sociological point of view. Still, I absolutely believe you that local Anglos will not enjoy what's coming as far as political backlash from this, probably in the form of bill 101 restrictions which just serves to further isolate us and encourages unilingualism.
Perhaps it would be constructive to have French classes for anglos who move to Quebec from other parts of Canada as well. There is no "welcoming" (accueil) structure for these people, and it might be beneficial. A lof of them (but not all) might be interested in taking French classes but unless you are an immigrant I think you have to pay for them.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The most common reaction would be to move out, would it not?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it would be constructive to have French classes for anglos who move to Quebec from other parts of Canada as well. There is no "welcoming" (accueil) structure for these people, and it might be beneficial. A lof of them (but not all) might be interested in taking French classes but unless you are an immigrant I think you have to pay for them.
This would be a great idea, and it's something I'd really encourage the language hawks to focus on instead of that other BS because it would actually pay serious dividends and give people a choice they didn't have. My girlfriends parent had to move to Quebec form BC due to a job transfer, in a technical trade, but they couldn't afford more then a few limited language classes so they're really frustrated now struggling with French and not really knowing how to move forward with their learning (they're not disciplined like some people to really do it themselves with books). I know many Anglos would take the classes and it would help with integrating somewhat marginalized people. I think part of the problem is that Anglos are perceived as rich, and therefore not in need of any services, and that a large segment of the population would rather not do anything that could be perceived as encouraging us to stick around.

Quote:
The most common reaction would be to move out, would it not?
Of course, that's the end goal of enforcing the two solitudes, getting Anglos to move away and never come back. I don't want Quebeckers to have to leave, it would be much better if we could encourage greater bilingualism among Anglos and more integration. Having all the young, educated Anglos with talent and drive leave the province after spending twenty years using services and going to school is definitely not good for Quebec, we should have policies that would put them in a situation where they can stay and contribute to their home province during the most productive years and not have to leave their friends and families behind.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The stats might reflect a minor blip in the linguistic demographic in the Montreal area that i think is a result of linguistic tranquility over the last decade,but with the PQ now in power and a new focus on the Anglo threat by a need to beef up bill101 and the OLF that minor increase in the use of English in the Montreal area will soon be stamped out and the migration of Anglos out of Quebec will continue and pick up speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal