Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He said, she said. You don't know this for a fact.
Are you insinuating that while Mr Bergerons kid was in need of immediate medical intervention he decided to play some kind of linguistic game?
With the number of these kinds of linguistic stories going on in Montreal these days i'm inclined to take Mr Bergeron at his word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Are you insinuating that while Mr Bergerons kid was in need of immediate medical intervention he decided to play some kind of linguistic game?
With the number of these kinds of linguistic stories going on in Montreal these days i'm inclined to take Mr Bergeron at his word.
I am not insinuating that at all. The idea that Mr. Bergeron would do this in an emergency situation is only slightly more preposterous than someone who is a trained professional whose job it is to provide critical care would deliberately "make a point" about language in the exact same situation.

As I said - we don't know anything about the language skills of the paramedic. Bergeron says that he "flatly refused to speak to him in English"...

If someone speaks to me in Russian and I cannot respond in Russian, I guess that is "flatly refusing to speak to them in Russian", right?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 PM

Do you really think the Russian analogy is appropriate in this case?

I just talked to my daughter who is one of the emergency dispatch girls for Montreals entire west island and although her territory only extends from Dorval to St Anne de Belleview she says she has never encountered a parameidic in her area that doesnt speak very good English, she finds it odd that the very next EMT jurisdiction to St Anne De Belleview (Dorion)would have radically different hiring standards and only hire unilingual Francophones.
AJ maybe living in the Ottawa region you arent seeing this new trend toward French only or Transit worker syndrome as i like to call it here in Montreal.
This kind of stuff
CJAD 800

Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM

It's always good to know what is going on in the rest of the country:

Le 9-1-1 répond seulement en anglais | Samuel Blais-Gauthier, Correspondant régional | Est ontarien

Issues about English-only 911 operators in Ontario's Prescott-Russell counties. Which are 70% French-speaking.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I just talked to my daughter who is one of the emergency dispatch girls for Montreals entire west island and although her territory only extends from Dorval to St Anne de Belleview she says she has never encountered a parameidic in her area that doesnt speak very good English, she finds it odd that the very next EMT jurisdiction to St Anne De Belleview (Dorion)would have radically different hiring standards and only hire unilingual Francophones.
AJ maybe living in the Ottawa region you arent seeing this new trend toward French only or Transit worker syndrome as i like to call it here in Montreal.
This kind of stuff
CJAD 800
On CJAD the guy from the ambulance cooperative that is responsible for Montérégie region (including Vaudreuil-Dorion where these people live) said that as a general rule all of their paramedics are supposed to know how to speak at least basic English. Montérégie region is something like 8% English-speaking, so wall-to-wall bilingualism for paramedics there sounds like a pretty good deal for local anglos, even if there are occasional unfortunate blips like this one.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:20 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,661,696 times
Well I still think educators in Quebec should have a rudimentary knowledge of both French and English. That should be part of their training, to learn enough of the language that is not their mother language, to be able to communicate on a basic level.

I went to graduate school at the University of Ottawa, and I was required to take French in order to graduate because it was a bilingual university. And vice-versa, all native French speakers were required to take a couple of English language courses. So I don't understand why that couldn't be made a requirement for an education degree in Quebec, that French speakers have at the minimum the ability to speak simple English, and that native English speakers are required to learn simple French. Not such a big deal.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well I still think educators in Quebec should have a rudimentary knowledge of both French and English. That should be part of their training, to learn enough of the language that is not their mother language, to be able to communicate on a basic level.

I went to graduate school at the University of Ottawa, and I was required to take French in order to graduate because it was a bilingual university. And vice-versa, all native French speakers were required to take a couple of English language course. So I don't understand why that couldn't be made a requirement for an education degree in Quebec, that French speakers have at the minimum the ability to speak simple English. Not such a big deal.
What about the rest of the country?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:

This kind of stuff
CJAD 800
Interesting poll from Ottawa-Gatineau:

Ottawa and Gatineau: Two and a Half Solitudes - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,661,696 times
I haven't been able to find statistics as to what percentage of Quebec residents are bilingual vs French only vs English only---so if someone knows how to find that it would be helpful.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Just going to post a link to that story.Here it is.
CJAD 800
Its guys with this ignorant French only attitude in conjunction with the governments xenophobic attitudes that will ensure more people/business either leave Quebec or just decide not to come here at all ultimately assuring a totally Francophone Quebec and a demise of the French culture to a totally linguistic backwater in the Middle of N.America.
AJ i cant believe you think its in the best interest of the Quebec people to isolate themselves to this extent especially since in a previous post you acknowledged the relevance of the Anglo culture within Quebec..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal