Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM

22 posts, read 22,128 times

Advertisements

Greetings! My two friends and I are very excited to be visiting Montreal for the first time on Aug 29- September 2nd. We will be staying downtown at the Hotel De La Montagne and plan to visit Crescent Street and St. Laurent each night. Would you recommend any nightclubs/bars/patio's that are a must see? I've heard Muzique is great....how does this compare to other nightclubs?

We are also planning to visit Notre Dame, Bio-Dome, Saint Joseph's Oratory, Olympic Stadium and Old Montreal. Anything else that is a must see?

We appreciate any help you can provide. I keep telling people i'm visiting Montreal and we get the same stupid response of "What's in Montreal?"...I'm so sick of Minnesota! If it isn't a cabin up north, people don't travel at all lol

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
It all depends on what you are interested in, but a few other must-sees are probably:

- Rue St-Denis (Plateau Mont-Royal) - one of the coolest parts of the city

- the view of downtown from the main chalet at the top of Mont-Royal

Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM

242 posts, read 511,355 times
Montreal is awesome! I was there 2 weeks ago and the city was booming! The streets were alive with people and festivals. We rented the Bixie bikes and drove around the city at night, def feels like you aren't in Canada anymore. Buildings were lit up, water fountains were on fire (literally), and it was so easy to bike from one end of the city to another. Everytime I go, I have an incredible time. A few fun things to do:

-Visit Mont Royal and go to the very top (amazing views)
-Explore Old Montreal on foot or bike, try at least one of the expensive restaurants. The food is incredible
-Visit Notre Dame (one of the most impressive churches I've seen in North America)
-Botanical Gardens
-The Village (very classy and lots of great restaurants)
-Explore St. Catherine St (always something cool going on)
-Take a walk by the Old Port along the St. Lawrence, maybe a romantic boat cruise
-Check out the night life

You will love the feel of Montreal, excellent choice for a vacation. Very romantic city, you'll notice that everyone dresses up all fancy. They say Montreal is good for the soul, you will see what I mean when you go. It has a unique vibe that I have not felt in any other city in Canada or the US. Very European/French. Have fun

Old 09-04-2012, 12:19 AM

422 posts, read 817,422 times
I'm well traveled having been to Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, cologne, Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne, Wellington, Honolulu, Toronto, Lima, and lived in New York, Chicago and Atlanta. I returned from Montreal hours ago back to where I live now (Denver) and I'm reading a Montreal board if that explains it all. If not the best place I've ever visited its certainly in my top 3. Culture, cuisine, character and class; need not say anymore. My goal is to learn French so it can become a serious option for phd program.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaDrake View Post
Greetings! My two friends and I are very excited to be visiting Montreal for the first time on Aug 29- September 2nd.
How'd it go?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Well my buddies were just astonished by how great Montreal was....beautiful approachable woman, french culture, great bars and clubs, and cool sites to visit.

My buddies and I also spent some good time at Kamasutra (off of St. Laurent) as well

We came back to Minnesota and were immediately depressed....everyone is huge here, no culture and it sickens me to think everyone asked me "why montreal" for my summer vacation? Just shows you that no one has any idea of culture and traveling in general here...

I'd love to move soon, but wonder how the winter is....it can't be any worse than ours!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions I just downloaded the french version of rosetta stone so I can learn another language...

Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
Quote:
Well my buddies were just astonished by how great Montreal was....beautiful approachable woman, french culture, great bars and clubs, and cool sites to visit.

My buddies and I also spent some good time at Kamasutra (off of St. Laurent) as well

We came back to Minnesota and were immediately depressed....everyone is huge here, no culture and it sickens me to think everyone asked me "why montreal" for my summer vacation? Just shows you that no one has any idea of culture and traveling in general here...

I'd love to move soon, but wonder how the winter is....it can't be any worse than ours!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions I just downloaded the french version of rosetta stone so I can learn another language...
About the same really...

Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Great to hear you had a good time, its kinda hard not to in Montreal, Dont worry about winter here its probably similar to yours and Montreal has 2500 pieces of snow removal equipment to make short work of any snowfall and we have 32 kilometers of underground city if snow and cold need to be escaped from..

Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Is there any reason to come back to Montreal in the winter? I'm looking for an excuse to come back

Any festivals or fun things going on in the winter? I'm sure hockey is fun to watch too -

Let me know !

Old 09-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Carnaval would be a good excuse to go visit Quebec city
Carnaval de Québec
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal