Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM

108 posts, read 247,917 times

Advertisements

@Jambo - It depends on the person, I think. For me, total immersion was a bit overwhelming. Since I never took any French lessons, diving in at the deep end didn't help me at all. I would have rather started with getting my toes wet! LOL! Letters, numbers, basic greetings, then work up to the more difficult stuff. My first teacher was spouting off sentences in which some of the class understood, and others did not. The problem with some classes here in France is, they combine the students so they have as few classes as possible. Complete beginners put in the same class with intermediate. Not good! I'm sure that saves them money, but it really doesn't help the students. I'm sure not all French classes in France work like this, but this is what I experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
@Jambo - It depends on the person, I think. For me, total immersion was a bit overwhelming. Since I never took any French lessons, diving in at the deep end didn't help me at all. I would have rather started with getting my toes wet! LOL! Letters, numbers, basic greetings, then work up to the more difficult stuff. My first teacher was spouting off sentences in which some of the class understood, and others did not. The problem with some classes here in France is, they combine the students so they have as few classes as possible. Complete beginners put in the same class with intermediate. Not good! I'm sure that saves them money, but it really doesn't help the students. I'm sure not all French classes in France work like this, but this is what I experienced.
For most kids coming to Quebec law says you going to French school no ifs ands or buts, they seem to survive ok even though their first months might be tough..The thing with learning another language is you have to think in that other language because if you are in your head translating everything back into English when you hear it you'll never become competent in the other language,thus the suggestion for immersion.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For most kids coming to Quebec law says you going to French school no ifs ands or buts, they seem to survive ok even though their first months might be tough..The thing with learning another language is you have to think in that other language because if you are in your head translating everything back into English when you hear it you'll never become competent in the other language,thus the suggestion for immersion.
Yeah, but facts are you need some sort of a base first in order to learn. You can't just dump me into a classroom in China and expect me to learn Chinese, I need to know some Chinese first for that to work at all. Trust me, I've tried learning a language I didn't know in the way the OP tried to learn French and it was a complete waste of time. I'm sure those immigrant kids have some sort of a base to start from.

Considering how many people are learning French in Montreal, I'm sure you can get access to beginner classes more easily then in France. If the government ones aren't easy enough, go to McGill or one of those universities for a beginners course.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yeah, but facts are you need some sort of a base first in order to learn. You can't just dump me into a classroom in China and expect me to learn Chinese, I need to know some Chinese first for that to work at all. Trust me, I've tried learning a language I didn't know in the way the OP tried to learn French and it was a complete waste of time. I'm sure those immigrant kids have some sort of a base to start from.

Considering how many people are learning French in Montreal, I'm sure you can get access to beginner classes more easily then in France. If the government ones aren't easy enough, go to McGill or one of those universities for a beginners course.
Definitely a lot easier for adults to pick and choose how they want to learn French but Many new immigrants kids dont get any preferential treatment when they come to Quebec,its sink or swim in French school (Its the Law)if you have a prior knowledge of some French fine if not... tough..,

Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 AM

108 posts, read 247,917 times
I agree. I can choose the way I want to learn French, for the most part. My daughter was born and raised in France, so going to a French school wouldn't be a problem. She currently goes to l'école maternelle (moyenne section). Thing is, her father and I would like her to experience learning at an English school. I think I read in a previous thread, that as long as we are on a temporary visa, she can attend an English school. If not, I've seen that there are schools that teach French, with a bit of English as well. That could work out quite well for her!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Definitely a lot easier for adults to pick and choose how they want to learn French but Many new immigrants kids dont get any preferential treatment when they come to Quebec,its sink or swim in French school (Its the Law)if you have a prior knowledge of some French fine if not... tough..,
Except for the very small number of children who arrive in Quebec from a foreign country and who already know English (but cannot go to English school because of Bill 101), this is no different than the situation of immigrant children who arrive in any new country in the world.

Russian kids who arrive in the U.S. still have to go to school in English.

Ukrainian kids who arrive in France still have to learn French.

Bosnian kids who arrive in Sweden still have to learn Swedish.

And so on.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Difference is In other countries its up to the parents what school their children attend not the government so if a German kid moves to France sure it would be in his best interest to go to French school but if theres a German school the parents have the option of sending their kid to the German school if they so chose.
Unlike here in Quebec where many immigrants who have an understanding of English or may even have English as their first language or may want their children educated in English for whatever reason,do they have the option to go to public English schools? not a chance,law says French school only you have no choice.you must comply,you will be assimilated, resistance is futile...

Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Difference is In other countries its up to the parents what school their children attend not the government so if a German kid moves to France sure it would be in his best interest to go to French school but if theres a German school the parents have the option of sending their kid to the German school if they so chose.
Unlike here in Quebec where many immigrants who have an understanding of English or may even have English as their first language or may want their children educated in English for whatever reason,do they have the option to go to public English schools? not a chance,law says French school only you have no choice.you must comply,you will be assimilated, resistance is futile...
But there are no German-language public schools in France, are there?

In any event, people know the situation before arriving. I always find it suprising that immigrants move to Quebec of their own free will and then complain afterwards that their kids can't go to publicly-funded English-language schools on the taxpayer's dime...

Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Ugh, would you two just give it a rest, we have threads devoted to that topic and this isn't one of them. Suffice it to say, the Anglos are upset by it because the point of the laws is for immigrants not to be assimilated into their culture and they resent the philosophy behind that which is that the English culture is considered to not be a legitimate Quebec culture and indeed is looked at with official hostility despite its age. The Francophones don't want to be crowded out and assimilated by an English culture like all of the other Francophone North American cultures (Louisiana, Manitoba) were so enforce this policy. It is what it is and there's no reason to reiterate the same tired old arguments.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
u were not and are not motivated. my 5 year experience in france was different than yours. the 30 million plus illegal mexicans that have come here also have a different experience than yours but much like mine. they are motivated to learn but u r not.
what causes people to be so very motiviated to learn a language? hunger.
same motivator involved in my mexico and france experience in acquiring the languages, failure was not an option. there would be no 2nd chance.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-27-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal