Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 68,492 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am from India, living in US, considering moving to Montreal. Is there any Indian population in Montreal? Any idea in which part of Montreal is most of the Indian population concentrated. I don't mind living anywhere in the city, but it feels closer to home when you can see people from your own country specially when you relocate to a totally new Country.

I know Toronto has Mississauga and Brampton which have high concentration of Indian population, are there similar places in Montreal?

Basically I am looking for a place which has good Indian Restaurants, Grocery stores or market place nearby and where i can participate in Indian festivals etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
You'll find Indians scattered throughout the city and we are more numerous in the English speaking areas. The two areas I would say are the most Indian would be Parc Extension, which is a cheaper area in the city of Montreal with many other types of recent immigrants as well, and Dollard des Ormeaux, a prosperous suburb with two Hindu temples, a couple of Indian grocers, a nice selection of Indian restaurants, and a store that sells saris. Indians are generally scattered, however, and you can find shops and services in other areas as well, like in Lasalle.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 33,843 times
Hi all,

I have a totally different question here. I'm from India, Speak french fluently (7 yrs - studied for 5 and worked in France for 2 years).
Are people in Montreal racist? Do you get invited to family gathering and reunions? Is it easy to socialize and make good strong friends with whom you can laugh, cry and share you life and celebrate. I'm done with my CSQ for immigration. But I happened to come across some "not-so-good articles about QC being racist overtly". You guys seem to have settled there well. Each one of you has had an unique journey. Please share your valuable thoughts. Than you !
P.s If all goes well, we might be sitting in front of each other one day in one of these restaurants.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangepoint View Post
Hi all,

I have a totally different question here. I'm from India, Speak french fluently (7 yrs - studied for 5 and worked in France for 2 years).
Are people in Montreal racist? Do you get invited to family gathering and reunions? Is it easy to socialize and make good strong friends with whom you can laugh, cry and share you life and celebrate. I'm done with my CSQ for immigration. But I happened to come across some "not-so-good articles about QC being racist overtly". You guys seem to have settled there well. Each one of you has had an unique journey. Please share your valuable thoughts. Than you !
P.s If all goes well, we might be sitting in front of each other one day in one of these restaurants.
The ones who are "racist overtly" are usually the politicians and the folks who live out in the boonies.
Your life here will be what you make it.
I work with people from every walk of life from every corner of the globe, Egyptians and Sri Lankans, Filipinos and Ugandans and Haitians. Everyone gets along fine, and some of these people are friends I hold dearly. Yes, they invite me to their homes and we break bread together.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Hi all,

That's half the battle won right there. Even three quarters of it maybe.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 AM

543 posts, read 899,879 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Look up stories specifically on the "Quebec Charter of Values" and the public response to it, both good and bad. Happily, the party that tried to pass this legislation is no longer in power but be aware that there are those that have no tolerance for people different from them and are not afraid to formalize this intolerance by passing laws.

Don't immigrate to Quebec with your eyes closed. My friends of Indian descent that I knew growing up 2-3 decades ago eventually wound up in Toronto.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 33,606 times
I am an Indian. I would like to shift Montreal 11th of August 2014. I will move with my Family. Please advise me of following thing

1. Cheap area where most of Indians are living in Montreal.

2. How to admit my daughter in English school.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitavaroy View Post

2. How to admit my daughter in English school.
Assuming you are not Canadian and did not go to school in Canada (in English) this will be quite difficult unless you want to pay to send her to private school.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Yeah, she has to go to French school if you guys move here. The area you're looking for is called Parc Extension.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:23 PM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Racism does exist but it's rare. I can say this is one of the main things that made me love the city of Montreal and Canada. And if there are people around during episodes, you will see others step up and speak against it. In my experiences with Montreal people are enjoying life too much to be hateful. People do not segregate themselves in neighborhoods based on race but they live where their religious centers are, cultural activities, location of jobs and where their 1st langauge is spoken, many speak 3 or 4 languages. Also people are very social and enjoy learning about others and have no problems mixing their friends up, people make friends based on character, not skin tone.

Being from the U.S. I'm used to racism so it was a completely different experience to have someone discriminate against me not for the color of my skin but because of my lack of French. I had a cashier who had waited on my husband I from the first day week I moved there and after a few months, she told me how upset she was that I did not try to speak French. I was ignored in stores and in businesses for not speaking in French even though the people knew English. You are lucky you know the language. Once in a while you will over hear ignorant comments from older people on the Metro about immigrants taking over the country, which is funny to me because they are there as a result of immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal