Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times

Advertisements

Living in Canada and working in the USA wouldnt you then have to pay taxes in both countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 02:01 PM

59 posts, read 155,472 times
There is a tax arrangement between the State of New York and Canada that allows residents to deduct the tax paid to Québec from your New York income tax bill. See: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2014/inc/it112ci_2014.pdf (Warning: PDF)

On a Federal level the Canada-U.S. Tax Treaty allows Income tax paid to the U.S. government (where it is earned) to be deducted on a Canadian tax return. See: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...atters#TopFAQs

It's a very good idea to talk to a tax attorney who is familiar with this arrangement and can guide you through the paperwork, at least for the first year and any year when circumstances change.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:16 PM

59 posts, read 155,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
I am wondering why so many people want to live in Canada and work in the States? I am not knocking it, just curious.
Many people do it because it's hard to get an equivalent job as credentials and experience often aren't recognized, or you're paid in U.S.$, or the legal/cultural/linguistic framework is too difficult to make the change.

I've worked in Human Resources (HRIS) for over 25 years and am in the process of moving to Montréal to live with my boyfriend who I intend to marry in the spring. But I can't do HR in Québec because the laws, agencies, regulations and business culture, etc. are extremely different than in the U.S., and while I've become more proficient in French, I'm nowhere near the point of reading the legal and technical documents that I need to do my job. So it would be like starting all over again.

I work on the I.T./Information Services side of HR (managing the computer/database systems used to pay, do benefits, reporting, etc. for employees) so it's easy for me to work remotely. My agency allowed me to live in Montréal and fly to NYC twice a month for in person meetings. I also kept my U.S. cellphone (as T-Mobile has unlimited service in Canada for $10 extra/month over what I was paying before) so it's all pretty seamless for my clients.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:21 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,456,116 times
Isn't it amazing that this thread is NINE years old( from 2007 ) and people are still talking about it ?

Jim B.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:08 PM

4,463 posts, read 3,360,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Isn't it amazing that this thread is NINE years old( from 2007 ) and people are still talking about it ?

Jim B.
The thought of Donald Trump winning the presidency has a lot of us Americans thinking of moving to Canada. So no, it's not amazing that this thread is still active. Which leads me to this question. If an American wanted to live in Canada, is retired and has Medicare (the US healthcare for retires) is that honored in Canada?

I just love your Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and think very highly of Canadians for electing him. On the other hand I can't imagine living in a country where the citizens would elect Donald Trump.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,456,116 times
CTartist.

I hate to break this to you...........But no, a retired US citizen cannot live in Canada, full time. We don't have an Immigration class for "retirees ". Canada wants and seeks Immigrants who are able and willing to work, and contribute to our economy, through their taxes.

The best that you can hope for is to be able to "VISIT " as a tourist for up to six months, in any 12 month period of time. By the way, that regulation is exactly the same as what Canadians who go to the USA, have to comply with. The exact regulation is " 183 days in country in total , then 183 days out of the country ". Obviously the Canadian Border Services Agency can make sure about your time in Canada, as when you enter our country, that fact is recorded in the computer data base.

A second point. As far as I know, US government medical services are only available within the confines of the US territories. So, no, you can't expect to be able to get medical care in Canada, with out paying for it, with a credit card, or cash. Visitors to Canada from any other country, are strongly advised to buy "medical travel insurance " before they arrive here.

Jim B.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 2,634 times
Is it possible to live in Montreal but commute to NY(Champlain)? I notice the posts for this topic are over 7 years old. Any new information as far as Immigration?

Old 06-13-2017, 06:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5r08v View Post
Is it possible to live in Montreal but commute to NY(Champlain)? I notice the posts for this topic are over 7 years old. Any new information as far as Immigration?
While the original topic is old it still conveys pertinent information for those in the same situation as our op who i wonder if he ever realized his dream. personally i wouldnt want to deal with border guards 2X a day as sooner or later you going to run into a grumpy one and if you get denied entry status your lifestyle will take on a sudden inconvenient status.
Some reading on the issue=
https://results.searchlock.com/searc...le&chnm=js_270

Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,176,759 times
Reading through this thread made me curious about my own options for the first time. For some reason I never really considered it but I do love Canada and perhaps should know more about the possibilities in case we ever need it someday.

Anyway, my wife and I are still fairly young and definitely working age (early 30s). But we have business that allows us to live anywhere so wouldn't need to work in Canada to survive.

I have 5 uncles/aunts who live in Canada and 15 or 20 cousins who are citizens (though half live in the states). My wife also has many Canadian relatives though not as many as me. What is the procedure for them to sponsor us? Is it better if we are seeking employment in Canada and bring special skills or is it good that we don't need employment?

Thanks for any info. I will also search for information online but some of you seem fairly knowledgeable on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
The thought of Donald Trump winning the presidency has a lot of us Americans thinking of moving to Canada. So no, it's not amazing that this thread is still active. Which leads me to this question. If an American wanted to live in Canada, is retired and has Medicare (the US healthcare for retires) is that honored in Canada?

I just love your Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and think very highly of Canadians for electing him. On the other hand I can't imagine living in a country where the citizens would elect Donald Trump.
Yeah, it's not really possible to simply "retire" to Canada. You could purchase property there but even then can only spend 182 days at it. Consider Central America. Costa Rica, Panama and Mexico are very popular for US retirees and it is quite easy to get appropriate Visas/Citizenship.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,176,759 times
Just following up on my own post, it seems that having relatives that is not immediate family does not really help. I suppose I could ask my parents to be sponsored by their siblings to eventually bring me if I really wanted to.

Seems my only other option would be to try to apply as a self-employed artist. But that might be a stretch, at least at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal