Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Wanted to revive this topic since I'm interested in possibly moving to Montreal before I hit age 30 in a few years.
With a general population of 4 million expect to run into a mosaic of personality types, some happy and positive some mean and miserable. Dont let the possibility of running into the latter disuade you from moving to Montreal.
A few pages of enticement=
MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With a general population of 4 million expect to run into a mosaic of personality types, some happy and positive some mean and miserable. Dont let the possibility of running into the latter disuade you from moving to Montreal.
A few pages of enticement=
MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City
I guess what I'm asking is is Montreal a "reserved" society like Toronto, Seattle or Sweden or are the people more "open" like say, Italy or South America? Or somewhere in between?

Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm asking is is Montreal a "reserved" society like Toronto, Seattle or Sweden or are the people more "open" like say, Italy or South America? Or somewhere in between?
As a basis of comparison: I was born and bred in Montreal and when I moved to Connecticut, it was like culture shock. People in Connecticut -- New England as a whole, actually -- are reserved. Reserved to the point of being repressed. Not all of them, but the standard was "respect my privacy and I'll respect yours." I was used to talking to everyone; I wasn't used to the aloofness that much of CT (and MA) favored.

So I'd say that Montreal is more "open" than not. Not everyone is going to be open -- just like not everyone in CT and MA were aloof -- but Montreal is quite liberal, friendly, and "open."

Old 06-21-2015, 03:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Montreal is party/festival central,this is not a city known for being reserved it can be partytime everyday/night if you wish Its got Toronto beat by a mile.Knowing how to speak French would definitely enhance your social potential.
Montreal Summer Events 2015 - The Best of the Best

montreal.com - festivals

Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 AM

17,132 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
As a basis of comparison: I was born and bred in Montreal and when I moved to Connecticut, it was like culture shock. People in Connecticut -- New England as a whole, actually -- are reserved. Reserved to the point of being repressed. Not all of them, but the standard was "respect my privacy and I'll respect yours." I was used to talking to everyone; I wasn't used to the aloofness that much of CT (and MA) favored.

So I'd say that Montreal is more "open" than not. Not everyone is going to be open -- just like not everyone in CT and MA were aloof -- but Montreal is quite liberal, friendly, and "open."
This pretty much sums it up best.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Compared to the larger part of Canada west of the Ottawa River, Montreal tends to be:

- less polite
- more talkative

Old 06-22-2015, 05:29 PM

361 posts, read 837,025 times
If you are coming during the summer everyone will be friendly but in the winter everyone is very reserved which is understandable.
Please don't judge Montreal on a summer visit, this is not representative of the city.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:49 PM

170 posts, read 182,291 times
Quote:
Wanted to revive this topic since I'm interested in possibly moving to Montreal before I hit age 30 in a few years.
Do you have a job offer? Accepted to either McGill or Concordia? Realize that if you aren't a fluent French speaker you will be equivalent of a unilingual Spanish speaker in Oregon. Hopefully you are prepared to scrub toilets during the years that you are learning French?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
If you are coming during the summer everyone will be friendly but in the winter everyone is very reserved which is understandable.
Please don't judge Montreal on a summer visit, this is not representative of the city.

The Montreal summer goggles. Anyone who plans to stay here should first endure a Montreal winter and make their decision afterwards.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Montreal is party/festival central,this is not a city known for being reserved it can be partytime everyday/night if you wish Its got Toronto beat by a mile.Knowing how to speak French would definitely enhance your social potential.
Montreal Summer Events 2015 - The Best of the Best

montreal.com - festivals
lol - you have outdated notions of Toronto Jambo perhaps circa 1960's 1970's (wondering when the last time you actually partied in Toronto btw)! Come down to T.Dot this summer and we'll show you some parties starting this weekend with the largest Pride festivities on the continent..

http://www.blogto.com/music/2015/06/...week_for_2015/

From last year's WorldPride - first city in the western hemisphere to host a Worldpride

https://www.google.ca/search?q=world...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

See you this weekend Jambo - I recommend we partake in Canada's largest ever drag show hosted by Bianca Del Rio - its sure to be a riot

Coudonc Jambo - could Toronto be evolving into something more than what you may think it may be hmmmmm

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto...trealers-admit

Last edited by fusion2; 06-24-2015 at 12:39 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Yeah - Toronto is very reserved

Hanlan's Point reviews, photos - Toronto - GayCities Toronto

It just boggles the mind when people say the things they do without a full understanding or experience about things... You just know that they are listening to what someone said lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 06-24-2015 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal