Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,555 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm currently a student in my final (fourth) year at McGill, living downtown in the McGill ghetto. My problem is this: so the past two years, I've successfully lived with two roommates, who were formally my two best friends. At the end of our third year, however, we grew apart a fair amount, and, unfortunately, I made the poor decision to live with them again this year although I didn't have a good feeling about it and (at the time) I didn't want to live on my own. After a semester, however, I'm uncomfortable and feel like a stranger in my own home living with two best friends who completely alienate me and more or less disregard me, even though at this point I pretty much just keep to myself because things are so strained and awkward. I also basically got the short end of the stick in terms of room selection, and am basically living in an extremely small room. I would really, really like to either try and get my own place for my remaining half a semester if possible, or even live with new people. However, our lease for our three-person place isn't up until April 30th. I'm looking for any advice or resources anyone might have in terms of whether or not it would be actually possible for me to move out. From what I recall when signing the lease, I wasn't the one who actually signed it...just wrote my name/home address on the back from the landlord's reference. However, the landlord did require that our parents each email him stating that they would support us financially throughout the lease term. Second problem is that my roommates don't really see the issue or how much it bothers me, despite the fact that I've tried to talk to them about it before, and would probably throw a sh*tstorm if I tried to tell them I was suddenly moving out and forcing them to get/live with a subletter for the remainder of the year. To be honest, at this point I'd deal with that regardless, but I'd want to make sure that I would be able to actually move out and not go through all that and end up being forced to stay here. Is the only way making my two roommates somehow agree to take on a subletter? Or am I basically forced to be stuck here until the lease is up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
I remember living with room mates way back when and when we had a problem we would call a "gripe session" to air our problems either with the way the place was being run or a problem between room mates, some issues got solved some didnt.
Also if you arent a signateur on the lease you are free to move out with no legal recourse from landlord and if your pals throw a hissy fit? well you aint liking them anyway.
I'd let them know how you feel and let them know your intentions if things dont get better.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,782 times
I feel for you. I've had mixed experiences with roommates. Either they were financially responsible yet complete a-holes to live with or they were awesome people but I had to chase them for money all the time (think: The Dude). Then there is living with girlfriends, a whole different heaven/hell situation!

I would recommend talking it out first. If that doesn't work, notify them that you plan on leaving but be fair: you can't leave them financially in the lurch. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a short-term roomie for a few months. Whatever you decide to do, do it now so that you can line something up for January.

You may want to contact la RĂ©gie du logement in order to discover the rights and obligations specific to your situation.

Rgie du logement

Good luck!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Sometimes when you are in school or early into the working world room mates are a necessary inconvenience/evil for a while until you can afford to get a place of your own, so dont look at your situation like it will be going on forever its just the way it is for now,kinda like a job you hate but you gotta put up with it for now.
The end of your tenancy there will arrive in no time.In the mean time you could spend more time out with other friends or spend study times at various coffee shops and just use the room as a place to sleep. my 21 year old daughter who is in her last year at Concordia is having issues dealing with living with mom and dad so she spends most evenings either studying at Concordia or spending many hours at coffee shops or doing stuff with friends and its the rare night she's home before 11.
I always though if you are going to have roomates its better to have an even rather than odd number of them,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal