Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I am supposed to know what that menu says. That was like when we were in Madrid several years ago and had to figure out the menu. At least we spoke a little Spanish..
The restaurant is one of Montreal's most unique restaurants Captained by renown chef Martin Picard. the menu may be in French but the waitresses are bilingual and will answer any questions you have.

Bourdain's take on the chef and the restaurant..=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2HxJoCD54
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 AM

133 posts, read 331,084 times
Quote:
and I am supposed to know what that menu says. That was like when we were in Madrid several years ago and had to figure out the menu. At least we spoke a little Spanish..
The Au Pied de Cochon website has a link to the English site from their main French-language site. I've pasted it here:

Au Pied de Cochon

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,033,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pci2k View Post
The Au Pied de Cochon website has a link to the English site from their main French-language site. I've pasted it here:

Au Pied de Cochon
You can try duck in a can

Au Pied du Cochon - Duck in a Can - YouTube

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Although you will do fine in Montreal for the most part, you should expect that on at least a few occasions some stuff there might only be in French. This is quite normal and should not come as a surprise to you when travelling in a place where the predominant language is not the same as yours.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:03 AM

7 posts, read 25,318 times
Au Pied de Cochon is incredible and worth a visit. Only concern is that their email only reservation policy makes it a tough table to grab. There are open spaces at the bar for walk in's though.

Other personal favorites in the area:

Joe Beef: Joe Beef, Liverpool House, McKiernan : Notre Dame West, Montreal, Qc. Canada

DNA: DNA Cuisine Complice | 355, rue Marguerite D'Youville, Vieux-Montréal | 514.287.3362 | info@dnarestaurant.com

Le Comptoir Charcuteries et Vins: Le Comptoir Charcuteries et Vins - Montréal, QC

Also probably my favorite food experience in Montreal is to walk through Jean Talon Market (Bienvenue au marché Jean-Talon | Marchés publics de Montréal) and pick up food items and go picnic (weather permitting) at Parc Jarry nearby.

A perfect day there starts off with a Cafe Au Lait at the coffee shop up front (forget the name) then start shopping from the different stands for in season fruits and veggies. Next stop Qui Lait Cru for local Quebec Cheeses, Charcuterie at Les Cochons tout ronds and then a Baguette from any of the Patisseries.

Add one more stop at the SAQ for a bottle of wine or local Microbrews and you have the perfect food day in Montreal. I would personally take Jean Talon over Atwater market anyday, despite being less popular.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapbussmusic View Post
Au Pied de Cochon is incredible and worth a visit. Only concern is that their email only reservation policy makes it a tough table to grab. There are open spaces at the bar for walk in's though.

Other personal favorites in the area:

Joe Beef: Joe Beef, Liverpool House, McKiernan : Notre Dame West, Montreal, Qc. Canada

DNA: DNA Cuisine Complice | 355, rue Marguerite D'Youville, Vieux-Montréal | 514.287.3362 | info@dnarestaurant.com

Le Comptoir Charcuteries et Vins: Le Comptoir Charcuteries et Vins - Montréal, QC

Also probably my favorite food experience in Montreal is to walk through Jean Talon Market (Bienvenue au marché Jean-Talon | Marchés publics de Montréal) and pick up food items and go picnic (weather permitting) at Parc Jarry nearby.

A perfect day there starts off with a Cafe Au Lait at the coffee shop up front (forget the name) then start shopping from the different stands for in season fruits and veggies. Next stop Qui Lait Cru for local Quebec Cheeses, Charcuterie at Les Cochons tout ronds and then a Baguette from any of the Patisseries.

Add one more stop at the SAQ for a bottle of wine or local Microbrews and you have the perfect food day in Montreal. I would personally take Jean Talon over Atwater market anyday, despite being less popular.
Excellent choices Vapbussmusic and welcome to the forum..

Old 10-09-2011, 04:02 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,094,084 times
We just returnedcfrom our few days in Montreal. We had a great time. Border crossings each way via I-89 in Vermont were pretty painless, about 10 minute wait each way, border agents asked pretty standard questions and sent us on our way.

We stayed in the Hilton Bonaventure booked via priceline, staff and room was outstanding. They have a rooftop heated pool we used daily.

We ate at Au Pied de Cochon one night, was ridiculously good.

2nd night we ate at Bonaparte, we splurged and got the tasting menu, $68 a person, was superb, almost sublime. Service was meticulous and outstanding.

3rd night we ate paella and saw a flamenco show at El Gitano, food once again amazing.

Went for poutine one lunch at La Banquise. Excellent.

We visited the biodome, insectarium, botanical gardens, underground mall, st. Catherines street, replica of Notre Dame, Little Italy and the produce/meat market, all were great places.

our 1st visit to Montreal was great,, everyone we met was very friendly and 100% helpful when they realized we spoke minimal French. We would not hesitate to drive up again. Weather we lucked out, not a drop of rain, yesterday was in the 70's.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM

We did visit the Jean Talon produce Market in Little Italy, nicest produce and other products such as turkey eggs, etc etc that I have ever seen. They sold stuff that is hard to find here in CT such as gooseberries, purple carrots, fresh figs, all kinds of different mushrooms, etc etc. I bought some of the best maple syrup I ever tasted, a huge jug for $15.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
We did visit the Jean Talon produce Market in Little Italy, nicest produce and other products such as turkey eggs, etc etc that I have ever seen. They sold stuff that is hard to find here in CT such as gooseberries, purple carrots, fresh figs, all kinds of different mushrooms, etc etc. I bought some of the best maple syrup I ever tasted, a huge jug for $15.
wow, thanks to you and the others for giving us some great ideas. We will be in Montreal by this time tomorrow, or we will be on the plane. We sill not actually be in Montreal.

Nita

Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 AM

FYI, here is the video of them putting the "stuffed Pied de Cochon with foie gras" in front of me. My wife whom you see, had the duck breast. Meal was outstanding from start to finish. Even the bread was amazing.

au pied de cochon my meal - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal