Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 07:29 PM

17,199 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
If I lived in Montreal, I would actually be looking forward to summer. I know it gets warm there, but calling summers hot and humid is a stretch.

I live in Atlanta, and I'm dreading summer. The weather is already too warm for early March here -- highs of about 27 Celsius this week. This evening, I'm sitting at my desk upstairs with the window open and it feels humid and a bit uncomfortable, almost tempting me to turn on the A/C.

This topic makes me chuckle because there was a similar thread about summer weather in the Atlanta forum, and several people said they find Atlanta summers to be comfortable... they were comparing the weather to places in Texas and Florida. It's all relative.
I guess... I live in Orlando. My wife is from the Caribbean. We still thought Montreal was hot in July...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 4,354 times
If you are Canadian, yes. If you come from a place with REAL summers, then no.

before coming to Montreal, i've only lived in South Korea, Dubai, the Philippines and Texas so I know what summers are supposed to be like. all of them have horrible, horrible summers with Texan summers actually being the best out of the 4 - due to lower humidity (not the whole summer though unfortunately).

If you asked me, I don't find the majority of Montreal summer days warm enough to feel like a proper summer. Don't get me wrong - there are hot days, but a quick look at Environment Canada shows that around like 10 days go barely over 30 deg C in a year. Montreal in the summer is on average 26 deg C high and 16 deg C low. Which is pretty low for me.

For me a proper summer day should go up to at least 30 deg C and i can tolerate up till 35 - albeit with the lowest level of humidity as possible. And it shouldn't go below 20 deg C at night. I mean it's not a real summer if you have to worry about bringing an extra layer when you go out and i did that daily even!

Here in Montreal, I have never really felt what you would call "scorching" heat. It's more like a lukewarm, spring-like warmth but with humidity so you do get to sweat. you can be sweating your ass off even at 22 deg C if you have 80+% humidity. air-conditioners can come in handy in this case. But personally, I wouldn't buy an air-conditioner but rather find a well shaded place with plenty of wind.

I can't complain. Montreal summers are very pleasant even with the humidity because it cools at night. but sometimes i wish there were like at least a month of 30+ deg C highs with no more than 40% humidity.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
You need an air conditioner in Montreal. It can get very hot on a few days up to 35 degrees like in Florida. The nice thing though is it isn't a constant thing unlike other places. But there is always an odd summer day in Montreal where it feels like you're in the tropics.

Now Vancouver and Calgary on the other hand are places where I would call "cool summers". Those places on many nights you may need a sweater because it can get cold and you definitely do not need an air conditioner.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:57 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Dew points are a better measure than humidex, dew points in the 75f to 80f levels are oppressive anywhere they are recorded, they will pretty much feel the same in Florida and DC as they would in Detroit, Toronto or Montreal, so anyone claiming these northern cities do not get hot does not know what they are talking about. They may not record dew points that high every year, or as or ten as cities in the south, but they do happen and they do feel oppressive.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM

60 posts, read 83,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Dew points are a better measure than humidex, dew points in the 75f to 80f levels are oppressive anywhere they are recorded, they will pretty much feel the same in Florida and DC as they would in Detroit, Toronto or Montreal, so anyone claiming these northern cities do not get hot does not know what they are talking about. They may not record dew points that high every year, or as or ten as cities in the south, but they do happen and they do feel oppressive.
I agree with you about the dew points. I try to look at those instead of the humidex during the summer.

I never said it doesn't get hot in Montreal. I don't think anyone here said that.

Like someone else said, Montreal does have real warm summers, unlike places like Vancouver and Edmonton where it doesn't get too hot or humid. Montreal also has warmer summers than Northern European countries as well, despite having much worse winters. What people have been trying to say is that, Montreal summers are not warmer, than most of the USA, Central America, South America, Asia, Africa, Australia and half of Europe. That's a lot of places. So saying Montreal summer weather is unbearable is a bit of a stretch.

There are only a handful of days in the summer in Montreal where the weather gets oppressive. So even if people come from the Caribbean, they will find it very hot if it reaches 34 degrees in Montreal. Here is a fun fact. Since 1965, it has reached 34 degrees and over in Montreal only on 9 days, with the record being 37.6. Most places in the carribean never reach temperatures that high. Neither has Miami. That doesn't make Montreal summer weather, because this is more of an extreme exception rather than the rule.

Last edited by goldeneyed; 03-11-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-11-2016, 11:04 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
. Montreal also has warmer winters than Northern European countries as well, despite having much worse winters. .

Not sure what you are trying to say here. Did you make a mistake here?

Because winters in Montreal are colder than almost all of the cold winter cities of northern Europe like Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm, etc.

But Montreal's summers are quite a bit warmer than all of those.

An average summer day in Montreal is actually fairly similar to an average summer day in northern Italy or southern France.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:11 AM

60 posts, read 83,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure what you are trying to say here. Did you make a mistake here?

Because winters in Montreal are colder than almost all of the cold winter cities of northern Europe like Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm, etc.

But Montreal's summers are quite a bit warmer than all of those.

An average summer day in Montreal is actually fairly similar to an average summer day in northern Italy or southern France.

My mistake I was typing too quick

I edited my post, this is what I meant:

Montreal also has warmer summers than Northern European countries as well, despite having much worse winters.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,249 times
I'm looking forward to summer! Finally i will wear dresses and flats Does anyone likes shorts as much as i do?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Only someone who never lived outside Canada/Northern US/Northern Europe would think Montreal is hot and humid in the summer.

Probably 85% of the world's population live in places with hotter summers, and we complain "It is unbearably hot because it is 33C!" Laughable.
People who have never lived here always underestimate the summer heat because the city is in Canada. And if you live here, let me tell you 85% of the world does not have hotter summers than what we are experiencing now.

I lived in southern France, I lived in west Africa. Montreal during summer is usually hot and the humidity makes it worse (it's very hot now). And as was said, every summer has a few days which are even hotter than the usual already high temps, and you can't even stay outside for long.

I spent the day with people from ATL yesterday, they said Montreal was hotter.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Beg to disagree. Comparing to L'Île de Montréal, Waterloo, ON has definitely felt less humid to me. Remember that Montréal is surrounded by lot of water.
Montreal is surrounded by the St Lawrence river, IMO hardly enough water to make for much in the way of climate change.Waterloo on the other hand has Lake Erie to the south,Lake Huron to the North and Lake Ontario to the east resulting in much potential for humidity in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal