Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times

Advertisements

I said "culture", not "identity".

The Canadian "identity" is strong amongst a clear majority of Canadians. That is not being questioned.

"Culture" is not the same as "identity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 03:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
[quote][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I said "culture", not "identity".

The Canadian "identity" is strong amongst a clear majority of Canadians. That is not being questioned.
Its hard to not acknowledge the existance of many facets of American lifestyle/culture in Canada and Quebec.

Do Quebec francophones have trouble distinguishing themselves from the American as the same lifestyle/American culture also permeates Quebec..

Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM

[quote=jambo101;55645279][quote]
Quote:

Its hard to not acknowledge the existance of many facets of American lifestyle/culture in Canada and Quebec.

Do Quebec francophones have trouble distinguishing themselves from the American as the same lifestyle/American culture also permeates Quebec..
American culture is extremely pervasive in Quebec, I agree.

Though there is clearly a lot more Quebec-specific stuff in Quebec, than there is (Rest of) Canada-specific stuff in the rest of the country.

There are reasons for this, and one can make the argument that Quebec has it easy due to the language barrier, but that doesn't change anything about the reality.

Perhaps you don't see this as much as you've never lived in any other part of Canada except Quebec (and the US and UK prior to that) but I've lived half my life in Canadian provinces other than Quebec.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you don't see this as much as you've never lived in any other part of Canada except Quebec (and the US and UK prior to that) but I've lived half my life in Canadian provinces other than Quebec.
Ive lived in BC and Ontario and yes ive lived in Quebec which apart from its language is no different than the rest of Canada in its parellel nature to American culture.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:33 PM

565 posts, read 672,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ive lived in BC and Ontario and yes ive lived in Quebec which apart from its language is no different than the rest of Canada in its parellel nature to American culture.
Not sure you’d say the same thing if you lived in Mascouche or Ste-Julie instead of Dorval. The anglo bubble can be quite opaque.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 PM

I guess some people are less observant than I am.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Not sure you’d say the same thing if you lived in Mascouche or Ste-Julie instead of Dorval. The anglo bubble can be quite opaque.
So putting the obvious language issue aside what makes some one in Mascouche or St Julie any less prone to having a lot in common with the USA than Dorvals Anglo community, i'm sure many drive American cars,go to American fast food places watch American tv shows and some may even vacation in the USA.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:10 AM

A Quebec movie knocked Spiderman out of top spot at the box office here last weekend. Happens regularly here that homegrown movies are number one. Even in Hollywood blockbuster season.

Has that EVER happened in Anglo-Canada?

I rest my case.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
A Quebec movie knocked Spiderman out of top spot at the box office here last weekend. Happens regularly here that homegrown movies are number one. Even in Hollywood blockbuster season.

Has that EVER happened in Anglo-Canada?

I rest my case.
Big deal, what was the name of this famous French movie and why would you expct such a movie to be a hit in the ROC? Peopl;e who dont speak French arent going to flock to a French movie but French people who dont speak English will flock to a subtitled English movie..
Ill bet during the movie the French patrons were knocking back Cokes and before or after went to an American franchise restaurant and drove home in their American car to watch American subtitled tv.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Big deal, what was the name of this famous French movie and why would you expct such a movie to be a hit in the ROC? Peopl;e who dont speak French arent going to flock to a French movie but French people who dont speak English will flock to a subtitled English movie..
Ill bet during the movie the French patrons were knocking back Cokes and before or after went to an American franchise restaurant and drove home in their American car to watch American subtitled tv.
The movie is called Menteur and stars two people who couldn’t walk anywhere in French Quebec without being recognized. Don’t you see the irony in asking the name of that movie?? You asked for a difference between someone in Dorval and someone in Ste-Julie.. you’re close to Dorval yet you had to ask for the name of the movie!!

But you are moving the goalposts as usual. You asked for evidence of a difference between Quebec and the rest of Canada ‘other than language’, well that movie is something other than language (although of course it is in French). Quebec music, books, cinema and other arts are a big part of our culture. It doesn’t mean Quebecers do not embrace American stuff too. It is just an undeniable fact that in part because of language, Quebecers spend a greater proportion of their cultural budget on stuff produced within their own province. I don’t see the point in trying to minimize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal