Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM

26,903 posts, read 38,209,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydiams View Post
Ahh I see, i thought it was related to the government. But i can dfntly see the cultural thing play out. I was in shock when i moved here and learned that Malls and stores closed at 5pm; and other offices closing between noon and 1pm for lunch (when i arrived i was like don t they have a rotation thing going ) lol

It seems that you ve been here in Quebec for a while and know well the province and its history. Is there any reason behind the closing time being set at 5pm?

Have you ever been to Europe? If so, then you probably know how store opening hours there are often different to work around there. Even worse than in Quebec.

The only explanation I have heard about closing at 5 in Quebec is related to Saturday night, and that no stores are open that night so everyone can go out and have dinner, drink, dance, party, etc. Not sure if this is actually true...

As for the other nights of the week, I think it varies from city to city and region to region in Quebec. But I think most malls across Quebec are generally open only on Thursday and Friday nights. Big box stores and grocery stores though usually have later hours and are open weeknights.

Note that Sunday shopping has not been around for that long in many Canadian provinces, and the last province to allow it was Nova Scotia in 2006. Note that in many countries around the world shops are closed on what is considered the holy day of the week in the main religion of the country.

In the end, the reason shops are not open for longer hours in Quebec is probably due to the mentality that "commerce isn't everything in life"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM

34 posts, read 99,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Have you ever been to Europe? If so, then you probably know how store opening hours there are often different to work around there. Even worse than in Quebec.

The only explanation I have heard about closing at 5 in Quebec is related to Saturday night, and that no stores are open that night so everyone can go out and have dinner, drink, dance, party, etc. Not sure if this is actually true...

As for the other nights of the week, I think it varies from city to city and region to region in Quebec. But I think most malls across Quebec are generally open only on Thursday and Friday nights. Big box stores and grocery stores though usually have later hours and are open weeknights.

Note that Sunday shopping has not been around for that long in many Canadian provinces, and the last province to allow it was Nova Scotia in 2006. Note that in many countries around the world shops are closed on what is considered the holy day of the week in the main religion of the country.

In the end, the reason shops are not open for longer hours in Quebec is probably due to the mentality that "commerce isn't everything in life"...
Makes a lot of sense... thanks for your insight Acajack

Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,868,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya7oo View Post
I dont suggest you move to HONG KOVER unless you speak fluent Chinese (Mandarin) and Tamil.

Also to live in someones basement in HONG KOVER cost about $30,000 a year

Same time, Montreal you can rent a LUXURY furnished apartment w/o a contract for $1,500 a month

So prepare for that

We have the best food in Canada, if not one of the best places in North America and the world. Most beautiful women, most friendly people, corruption and the mob, tons of places to shop, tons of places to bike and rollar blade, hike and walk, tons of places to enjoy a cup of cafe, tons of places to enjoy the summer on an outdoor terrace

It seems everyday is a new beginning in Montreal

Can't say the same about HONG KOVER. Some signs there are not even in English or French. Some places can't even serve you in English!!! A ghetto sunshine, that's all Vancouver is, an ethnic ghetto!

Btw the people here are friendly. I am not a Quebecois but I find them warm and accepting people.

I have also been from Vancouver Island, to Happy Valley Labrador to St Anthony Newfoundland

and I can tell you, the only place in Canada i could LIVE is MONTREAL

we are the BEST city in North America

there is a place here for EVERYONE

the ignorant westerners who yap yap yap their mouths away about Montreal and French people have never left their backyard. don't listen to them. it's like the people who tell you mexico is super dangeruos and not to go therebut have never been to cancun.

Cheers
Mais non, cher monsieur. Hkover is so passé.
Many live abroad now. See here. http://www.asiapacific.ca/sites/defa...hic_large2.jpg

Les nouveax riches
in la Chine-couver in the last 10 years are Mandarin-speakers. It is rumored that close to 3000 of them (including their families) are living in the Best-Place-On-Earth.... until our judges decide otherwise. China

Good entrepreneurs can make a lot of money. Here is one Canto-speaker whose right-hand man is a Québécois (the only white guy in the whole factory). Another 'blue-eye' (figurative) boy in his employment, that is non-asiatic, is a Canadian citizen of middle eastern origin, in charge of IT.
He has sold his business to a French multi-national for an undisclosed profit.
Our History (http://www.aerofreeze.com/en-ca/About-Us/History/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)

I agree with you that real estate is less expensive in Montreal.
But if one cannot afford a $500k house 10 years ago, why is he so fixated on a property that now costs $5M. The answer is in between the ears.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,868,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya7oo View Post
my friend, i have been everywhere in canada

i lived in vancouver / surrey / white rock over about 45 days

even those as a son of immigrant it made me think twice about multi culturalism in canada

i will take whatever they call in montreal...

vancouver is losing it's canadian identity...

as for the $$financial aspect, the entrepreneurial question posed here all depends on the nature of the business....
Too bad, nothing you and I can do to reverse it. There is too much infighting in Ottawa, and no party has the political will to bring it up and resolve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal