Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 PM

5 posts, read 16,465 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I, and our 4 year old child, are moving to Montreal in July--so psyched! Initially, we will be living only on one salary of 69K. I have an idea of how much rent I can afford in the US, but never having lived in Canada, I'm not really sure. What range should we be looking at? What types of things are generally included and not included with rents in Montreal? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 PM

195 posts, read 673,351 times
Hydro (what we call electricity) is most often not included - as far as what you can afford, generally the rule of thumb is that rent should not exceed 30% of your monthly income after taxes.

Montreal apartments are generally quite affordable so I think you will be able to find a very nice place but since I do not know your financial situation (debts etc) I cannot say what dollar amount would suit you.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Craigslist will give you an idea of whats available

montreal apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Thanks! The problem is exactly that--I don't have a clear sense of what the take-home pay will be, since the tax system is different in Canada. I have seen a wide range of rents for 2 bedroom apartments on Craigslist from less than 1000 up to close to 2000.

I do have student loans in the US that I'll be paying a few hundred dollars per month. We don't plan on having a car, which means we'll have to live somewhere close to public transit. Then there is pre-K/or daycare for the little one.

Anyone feel like they have a rough idea of how much the monthly take-home pay on 69K would be for a married family with one child? Thanks in advance?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Count on about 35% going to taxes usually deducted at source or if you are self employed keep in mind that 35% of all earnings will be going to the government come tax time,Then on everything you buy there is a 7% provincial sales tax then a 6% goods and services tax on top of that, housing prices will vary according to location,usually the closer to downtown the more you will pay,or the more amenities the more it will cost as an example a lower 5 1/2 lower duplex will cost more than an upper 5 1/2 duplex because the lower will have the yard plus the garage..
What part of the city will you be working?that way we can give you some neighborhoods to explore.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks--that's really useful information. My husband will be working at the University of Quebec at Montreal, and I am hoping to eventually get a position at Concordia. Somebody has suggested to us to look in the NDG, but any other information on places to look for would be great. Since I and my son will still be learning French, we'll feel more comfortable at first in an anglophone neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 AM

I'd say NDG (Notre Dame De Grace)would be your best bet as its centrally located and still has a large English population and the Vendome or Villa Maria metro stations will drop you off at the door of Concordia or UQAM,
Once you get familiar with the city you could find areas you may prefer to live in but NDG isnt a bad place to start..

Heres a map from NDG to Concordia to UQAM =
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,0.055189&z=14

Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 AM

123 posts, read 332,650 times
Hi Mouzey,
I had the similar questions as I am also planning to move there in June. I also have two kids. To get an rough idea about take home I tried this Canadian Income Tax Calculator 2011 | Life Insurance Canada
Check that

Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 69,641 times
Hi Mouzey,

Looking at your situation, I will assume the following as a general guideline:
1) Minimum 2 bedrooms (what we call 4 1/2)
2) Close to transport system (metro or frequent bus line)
3) Close to amenities (ie: school, groceries)
4) Safe (!!)
5) Somewhere where you'll be welcomed in english while you're still learning french
6) Affordability (a third of your net income)

I think NDG fits the portrait overall... BUT Vendome and Villa-Maria stations are not in my standard the safest places. My friend lives there with her husband and young kids, she's looking to move out of that area asap. Her husband always walks her to the metro or waits for her when she comes home.
Downtown would be a logical choice in terms of location but it's not really kid/family friendly (ie: no school, expensive groceries).
Have you looked at Cote-Des-Neiges? It is a melting pot. But if you mind that, Montreal might not be a nice place for you.
If you don't mind the commute to downtown, Villeray is really nice for families and affordable too.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 14,215 times
I agree with the above, with the exception of #6 - especially because you have children. I've always been brought up on the soundness of 1/4 of your net income should be your net housing cost and yes NDG, Cote des Neiges wonderful area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal