Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:48 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
What is the name of the housing project near Place De arts? Last visit to Montreal I remember playing pick up soccer at a field surrounded by a low income housing complex. Did not feel uncomfortable at all, but curious as to its name and if there are any major issues there.
That is the Habitation Jeanne Mance. Although it is a low-income complex, you have people from around the world here (about 70 different countries are represented in the complex). The owners of the complex also added murals (about a dozen), more greenery and renovated the whole complex. I've walked around there before and it's improved a lot, many families and a very nice community feel to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 02:04 PM

3,869 posts, read 5,295,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
That is the Habitation Jeanne Mance. Although it is a low-income complex, you have people from around the world here (about 70 different countries are represented in the complex). The owners of the complex also added murals (about a dozen), more greenery and renovated the whole complex. I've walked around there before and it's improved a lot, many families and a very nice community feel to it.
Thank you!

I would agree. I felt fine around there and while playing there was a very nice mix of cultures and languages being spoken (I guess that is typical of soccer elsewhere also). The guys there did mention that not many people from outside the neighbourhood come over to play, so they were pleasantly surprised that I ended up there. The competition there looked stronger than the other fields I passed by, so it was an easy decision for me.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:16 PM

17,228 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Thank you!

I would agree. I felt fine around there and while playing there was a very nice mix of cultures and languages being spoken (I guess that is typical of soccer elsewhere also). The guys there did mention that not many people from outside the neighbourhood come over to play, so they were pleasantly surprised that I ended up there. The competition there looked stronger than the other fields I passed by, so it was an easy decision for me.
Typically that areas like that will have better competition, as a lot of the folks there come from areas where the sport is very popular.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:23 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Typically that areas like that will have better competition, as a lot of the folks there come from areas where the sport is very popular.
Agreed. And a bit further out, near the Olympic Stadium, you can catch some really good "neighborhood" baseball. These are informal leagues, as there are throughout the city, but there are a lot of Dominicans out that way and, oh boy, can they play. It's like watching MLB with some of those pitchers. No kidding.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
I know a lot of Latinos used to play in Rosemont and Parc jarry. Don't know if they still do.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Ghettos in Montreal exist by their traditional definition, but slums? hardly any, if anything there isn't any. Every time I show my American friends "the hood" in MTL (MTL Nord, St. Mich, Parc-ex, etc..), they laugh cause it can pass as a decent neighbourhood in U.S cities. The only "sketchy" areas that remain are Montreal East/parts of Hochelaga, where poor/uneducated people who leach off of welfare live. Besides those areas, the city is very clean and has improved heavily.
Yeah, ok, thank you for this post (and others that follow). I've been to Jean Talon market and some of the streets around that area and nothing about it seemed dangerous/criminal.

And I know sometimes a neighborhood can look nice but be dangerous. I just haven't experienced anything that is as sketchy as an up-and-coming neighborhood in the US. Even Montreal Nord looks working class, but not dangerous. Am I wrong?

Good neighborhood in Philly:https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9314...7i13312!8i6656
Less than a mile away: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9333...7i13312!8i6656

Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 AM

565 posts, read 672,804 times
There are no "dangerous" neighbourhoods in Montreal. Even areas what djesus considered "sketchy" are not dangerous at all and have gentrified significantly in the past decades - but they were never dangerous to beginning with. For example, this is in Hochelaga.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:33 AM

17,228 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, ok, thank you for this post (and others that follow). I've been to Jean Talon market and some of the streets around that area and nothing about it seemed dangerous/criminal.

And I know sometimes a neighborhood can look nice but be dangerous. I just haven't experienced anything that is as sketchy as an up-and-coming neighborhood in the US. Even Montreal Nord looks working class, but not dangerous. Am I wrong?

Good neighborhood in Philly:https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9314...7i13312!8i6656
Less than a mile away: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9333...7i13312!8i6656
I agree. The US is notorious for having extremely crappy areas real close to nicer neighborhoods.

Here in Orlando,
Nice area: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5559...7i13312!8i6656

Less than a mile away:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5462...7i13312!8i6656

There is none of that in Montreal.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM

193 posts, read 217,273 times
I work near metro Namur and met some people in the neighborhood. One of the guys that I was hanging out with, he turned psycho and kicked the groins of everybody in the group really hard for no reason at all and I had to go to the hospital to get ultrasound to check that my seeds were still good. The doctor said everything's ok but it can feel different from time to time, which I believe is for life. I just happened to be with the wrong crowd at the wrong time. And generally many people in this area are thugs or wannabe thugs. I also heard that there were shootings in the area in the past. I actually knew a guy who was a criminal himself. So it's not dangerous to walk around in daylight, but if you get involved in the area, you have to use caution.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:36 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,665,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I agree. The US is notorious for having extremely crappy areas real close to nicer neighborhoods.

Here in Orlando,
Nice area: https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5559...7i13312!8i6656

Less than a mile away:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5462...7i13312!8i6656

There is none of that in Montreal.

It's just like when I lived in Miami. You see Brickell, downtown, and across from all that are slums and dangerous places. I'm really happy we don't have that in Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal