Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM

88 posts, read 201,858 times

Advertisements

Hey Montreal residents. I currently live in Texas. I'm taking a trip up to the city of Montreal this summer. This will be my very first time in Montreal.

I plan to walk around Parc Maisonneuve while I'm in the city.

How large is Parc Maisonneuve?

Are there any hills or inclines?

Most importantly- Is there a clearing inside the park that is entirely flat?

If so- Is the clearing as large as the Hippodrome de Montreal?

I'm going to check out Montreal's other parks, too. But Parc Maisonneuve is at the top of my list.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:06 PM

65 posts, read 157,362 times
Parc Maisonneuve as is, used to contain a municipal golf course in the days before the olympics, and so it does have a few hillocks as far as I can remember, but not a lot of heights. It is a neat park for biking.
You definitely need to visit the botanical gardens which is across the fence to the west. It is one of the three largest botanical gardens in the world and is stunning in the summertime. You need to spend a whole day at least for that. But since the botanical is next door, the trees and landscaping in the Maisonneuve park is top notch. I cant tell you about the clearing dimensions, sorry.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
Parc Maisonneuve as is, used to contain a municipal golf course in the days before the olympics, and so it does have a few hillocks as far as I can remember, but not a lot of heights. It is a neat park for biking.
I cant tell you about the clearing dimensions, sorry.
Does the park at least contain a clearing that is as large as the Hippodrome de Montreal?

Would you know at all?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
Does the park at least contain a clearing that is as large as the Hippodrome de Montreal?

Would you know at all?

Why is this so important?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I was wondering this as well. I don't understand what is so special about Parc Maisonneuve. It is a nice park, but no more special than similar urban parks in scores of other cities.

As for the question about a large clearing, well Maisonneuve is home to the annual St-Jean-Baptiste celebrations on June 24, so there is a big open space there that can hold 250,000 people. Perhaps quite a bit more even.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
According to Google Maps, it appears as if the park has no clearing at all. It's unlike Halifax Common or the Plains of Abraham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As for the question about a large clearing, well Maisonneuve is home to the annual St-Jean-Baptiste celebrations on June 24, so there is a big open space there that can hold 250,000 people. Perhaps quite a bit more even.
Where exactly in Maisonneuve Park is this wide open space located?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
According to Google Maps, it appears as if the park has no clearing at all. It's unlike Halifax Common or the Plains of Abraham.

Where exactly in Maisonneuve Park is this wide open space located?
I looked on Google and there is a huge clearing in the top and right portion of the park, going towards Viau.

There are trees here and there but there is still a space for large numbers of people.

This is what the area looks like in the daytime during the lead-up to the evening show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voc7Of5U6bw

In the evening the whole area in view here is packed with people shoulder to shoulder.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:07 PM

^Do you think U2's 360 tour stage set could fit inside that clearing?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/Jericho-79/1-26858-size2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM

65 posts, read 157,362 times
I guess it could, I am sort of getting your idea about he Hippodrome site and this park as a venue for U2's upcoming Montreal dates. I only know they had a custom built stadium just for these shows by a Quebec stage fabricator. I dont know how that is going.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM

They might have to cut down a few trees though, which might be a no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal