Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 14,719 times

Advertisements

What is it like to live in Salinas, california?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary susan adam View Post
Anything specific?

This topic comes up quite a bit. If you use the search feature you can see a lot written about it already such as:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...inas-help.html.

Derek

Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Living in Salinas, California
I get caught every time. I read a thread title like this and I think it is the start of a joke. "A priest and a rabbi and an ayutollah were living in Salinas..... etc"

Seriously. With all the wonderful places to live in Monterey County, why Salinas, which, generally does not get ranked up there with Carmel etc.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 AM

297 posts, read 401,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Seriously. With all the wonderful places to live in Monterey County, why Salinas, which, generally does not get ranked up there with Carmel etc.
I agree. Just visited Monterey for the first time ever last weekend actually. If you can afford it (because I am sure housing is more expensive) live closer to the Bay because it really wasn't much of a drive from Monterey to Salinas. Maybe 20-25 minutes max?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
I agree. Just visited Monterey for the first time ever last weekend actually. If you can afford it (because I am sure housing is more expensive) live closer to the Bay because it really wasn't much of a drive from Monterey to Salinas. Maybe 20-25 minutes max?
One of my brothers has lived in Prunetucky (Prunedale) the last six lustrum. He loves it thar.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
One of my brothers has lived in Prunetucky (Prunedale) the last six lustrum. He loves it thar.
My big problem with Prunedale is getting on and off 101, that section of road seems a deathtrap to me.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
My big problem with Prunedale is getting on and off 101, that section of road seems a deathtrap to me.
It's always been said they would built another overpass. Maybe so, one of these days

Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Quote:
Homes that are generally much less expensive is why (and still within easy commuting distance/time to the Monterey Peninsula). I used to work in Monterey and had about a dozen coworkers who did the Hwy 68 commute. My first apartment in the area was in Salinas and I somehow survived.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 78,055 times
Why anyone would want to live here (Salinas) is beyond me. I live in Prunedale...20 years ago when I moved here as a kid, it was the perfect small town. Now it is overpopulated and the physical roads/highway system here can't keep up with the horde of people who moved here. I'm getting out really soon before someone kills me literally. As San Jose expands downward to Prunedale, it brings with it commuters who can't drive for ****, making Prunedale an intolerable place to live. I can't stand it anymore and would suggest people stop moving into this area if they know what's good for them.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary susan adam View Post
I actually grew up in Salinas. Here is my general impression of the city:

-Very religious - Social life revolves around your church; not a great place to live if you are young and single and/or non-religious (e.g., not protestant)
-High crime - This has gotten a lot worse since I lived there. East Salinas was always rough with gang bangers, but you occasionally hear about things like Nob Hill in South Salinas getting held up in broad daylight or a shooting near Hartnell; not really safe to go out at night there
-Dominated by agriculture - Very cliquish family-oriented group of well off people there; they don't appreciate it if you're not one of them (not in the right family, don't go to their church, don't dress and act like them - think wrangler jeans, cowboy boots and big trucks)
-Schools aren't very good - A couple of exceptions with elementary schools that are decent (such as Mission Park), however all middle schools and high schools are poor academically (including Palma, which is the private Catholic high school)
-Wind tunnel - While Salinas gets sunnier and warmer than Monterey, it is a wind tunnel every afternoon with frigid winds off the bay; not the most pleasant weather
-Depressed economy - Due to its heavy reliance on agriculture and overdevelopment over the past 10-15 years, home prices have plummeted (more so than other surrounding areas); drives high unemployment/high crime. Note that it was on the recent list of America's most miserable cities: In Pictures: America's 20 Most Miserable Cities - No. 18 Salinas, Calif. - Forbes.com

Seriously, I would not go back to Salinas if you paid me. You'd be better off buying a much smaller house or condo on the Monterey Peninsula for a better quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County