Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 PM

21 posts, read 43,307 times

Advertisements

Anybody likes Sushi in montana ??
Do you know why japanese people has longer life in the world?
Do you like sushi or steak only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,382,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
The ability to pay in Montana is NOT a factor when a diner is after an exquisite cuisine and pleasant atmosphere. Missoula, for instance, has a handful of excellent, pricey resturants that are full most of the time. Even us native Montanans like something other than deer jerky and hamburgers once in a while. Sushi Hana in Missoula has two locations but I've never been there.
Of course there is a segment of the population that can afford to pay any price for dinner. However, my point was the need for the OP to assess the size of that segment, and more importantly whether people making average salaries in the area would frequent the restaurant on a consistent basis.

As a consultant for the Small Business Administration for years, I spent considerable effort in trying to convince new start-up restaurants (as well as other businesses) that the customers "ability to pay" IS a factor. On a more informal note, I have several friends who like "exquisite" sushi in a "pleasant atmosphere", but don't go anymore because it's too damned expensive.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 AM

369 posts, read 1,455,756 times
Calvin,

I'd guess that most Montanans who have tried sushi like it, but will not become exclusive eaters of it.

I have eaten sushi several time, but not in a resturant. It's OK but not really to my liking.

Japanese have extended lives for many more reasons than the sushi they eat. Fish is an important part of their protein intake - here we eat more fatty beef.

But, we are catching up!!

Old 05-09-2009, 11:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,592,381 times
There is a small Japanese place in Helena, Genki's. It is the best Japanese food I have had since I left Japan.

Excellent sushi,(especially the unagi), good selection of sushi and entrees, medium price, you can get a good meal for around $20.00 per individual for appatizer, entree and tea. (If you go for the beer and wine the price goes up).
I go there for special occasions, and have told many others about it. Everyone I talk to who has gone there likes it, but there is no problem getting seating on any night. Many times there has just been the wife and I and maybe one other table.

There is a lot of competition in the restaurant business. Heavy advertising is a must. Location is critical, (and parking). There are some high priced places, (I did not say high quality), that do a good business because they are the "in" spot of the moment for the birkenstockers. With the depressed economy, I see a lot of room in most of the places.

When the wife and I go out, (maybe once or twice a month) there is never a time we can't be seated quickly in any place we have been in the past 6 months.

If you are looking for a town to start a restaurant, Billings is probably as good as any. Just be aware that right now I don't see any places that are "booming" It will probably be a good start, but will quickly slow down.

The restaraunts I see that last have an established clientel, with a good selection of entrees, desserts, appatizers, and appeal to families. Family restaraunts are in short supply.
You may not have them in every night, but when they do have the extra cash for a birthday or anniversery, they go where they can find good fresh food with generous portions, Kids and seniors portions, and affordible pricing.

Most of the trendy places are open 6 months, sit empty for 6, get remodeled, open as a new restaraunt for 6 months and again and again ad infinitum.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,794 times
I resisted sushi for most of my life, and then 4 or 5 years ago I lost a bet and tried it.

My only regret was that I didn't lose that bet about 25 years ago!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,176,327 times
Ha, TW, you can have my share. I tried sushi 25 years ago and didn't like it... tried a few times since (it's one of the items at our local Chinese buffet, so costs me nothing extra to check it out) and STILL don't like it. I want my fish cooked, that's all there is to it!!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM

193 posts, read 463,753 times
Guess I should not speak for Montana, but if you want to sell it in Missouri just batter it , deep fry it and put it on a stick..

Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,908,710 times
Sorry guys ... but bait is bait.

6 bucks an ounce or 60 bucks an ounce ... if it'll catch the big macks (mackinaw) on Mcgregor Lake during a good winter ***, then I'll pay the price, but anything beyond that, is just wrong.

I'll put Sushi right up there with Crawfish and Nightcrawlers.

My life isn't such a dreadful bore that I've got to find myself eating for sport. I hunt and fish, and that's all of the sport I need.

Last edited by bigskydude; 05-11-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:16 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,794 times
Heh Heh... Funny thing is we like to catch crawdads and put em on the barbeque too! (Although they are good bait too.)

I wouldn't say I eat for sport.. usually it's me and the family, some baked spuds and something from the freezer on the grill, but on the occasion that I get to go out of town for job training I can honestly say I can eat almost anything.

Don't ge me wrong, if it's a choice between a sushi place and some fresh caught brookies cooked on the fire, with some spuds, onions, taters and mushrooms wrapped in tin foil cooked in the coals... I'd be out camping any day of the week given the choice.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,176,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
...fresh caught brookies cooked on the fire, with some spuds, onions, taters and mushrooms wrapped in tin foil cooked in the coals...
<drooling>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana