Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:18 PM

66 posts, read 286,123 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are considering moving to Montana and I have a few questions. Is it hard for someone not from the area to get a job? I will be looking at probably a state or federal job and my husband is a cop. We're moving from Georgia so the weather will be a huge change although we have lived where it snows. On average how much snow does each area get? How good is the snow removal? In WV the snow removal is horrible. On average how many times does it dip below the 20 to 30s range?

We will want to purchase about 40 to 50 acres of land is that still possible in that area without paying an arm and a leg. How are the resturants and shopping?

which city is better helena or billings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 05:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Is it hard for someone not from the area to get a job? I will be looking at probably a state or federal job and my husband is a cop.
I don't think there would be much of an issue finding a Job in Montana, it realy depends on what you are looking for, and what you have to offer. If you can specialize in something at the State for instance, they will probably like that.

Quote:
On average how much snow does each area get? How good is the snow removal? In WV the snow removal is horrible. On average how many times does it dip below the 20 to 30s range?
I am from Helena, and we usually don't have more than 7 or 8 inches, and thats in a year with a lot of snow. But I don't think it is anything to worry about. Snow removal in Helena is awesome, they do a great job. Also, schools here haven't been closed due to snow in over 20 years! The winter can be cold, and is often in the 20-40 degree range.

Quote:
We will want to purchase about 40 to 50 acres of land is that still possible in that area without paying an arm and a leg. How are the resturants and shopping?
That amount of land might be expensive, but I would definately talk to a realtor about that. It depends how close you would want to be to a town, and really just where the land is. Helena is expanding, but lacks a decent Mall. Our Mall here is kind of a joke, but there are talks of a major shopping center coming in possibly the next 10 years. Montanans like their food. There are many unique restaurants here to suit different tastes.

Quote:
which city is better helena or billings?
Helena and Billings are two completely different places. You should visit both if you are planning to move to Montana.

Good Luck

Old 06-25-2006, 08:48 AM

Thank you so much for the help. I will hopefully be an attorney when we go to move and would like to get a job with the state attorney's office. Does anyone know anything about the state attorney's office or the police department in Helena or Billings?

Old 06-26-2006, 04:07 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,477,903 times
Default Realtors

We had a similar experience in wanting to locate a large piece of land.
We had realtors lined up to show us what was available.
We drove up and stayed at a bed and breakfast in Anaconda. Talked to locals and then drove out to view the properties on our own.
There was several that sounded good on paper, creek running through etc.
Well there definition was a tad distorted creek barley touched the property or was so far away from the only flat spot you would never hear it from the house.
You will have to decide on weather you want to live off the grid (total solar/alternative power) or on the grid close to utilities.
Long story short we located our property through the local townsfolk, it was not on the market or signed. Was owned by a couple out of state who was wanting to sell it. They were wanting to find the right people to sell it to not just anybody.
we ended up with 20.5 acres over a 1/2 mile of year around creek running through the center of it.
So I would suggest flying up there and renting a suv get some good maps, talk to locals. Then as a option utilize a realtor.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:34 PM

wow thank you so much for the information I really appreciate it. I am considering trying to fly up there, but it is super expensive from Georgia to Montana. I really do want to come up there and look around and talk to the local people to get a feel for the city. I really want a place that is welcoming and nice people. I am not sure about living completely off the grid. I have to look into the type of alternative power sources. What did you end with? on teh grid or off the grid. I would think that I would like to remain on the grid.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Off the grid

We are off the grid utilizing solar at this point, wanted a hydro unit but Montana has shut us down. We are in what they call the upper clark fork watershed, so keep that in mind that some areas are resticted.
We are 8 miles from a paved road.
Also the banks of the creeks are public domain so there is always the possibility someone could hike along the stream to a fishing hole, they just are not supposed to cross private property to get to creek.
Another item we discovered was that if your property perimeter is flagged with orange/red ribbon it signifies to hunters that they are entering private property and should not enter without permission.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 PM

how hard was to build on a site that has solar power? Is it hard to get building materials in that area? Or people to actually do construction? what do you for snow removal to get to the main road? Sorry i have so many questions, but I have never lived any where so rural before. Is solar power expensive to install? Is digging a well expensive?

Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 AM

Default Construction

Holly
I posted a great reply and its missing in action. Maybe there was something wrong with it? and was deleted

Old 06-28-2006, 12:18 PM

sorry that it is missing - do you mind telling me what you put down again?

Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 PM

Default building in rural montana

Holly
It is amazing in the Anaconda / Butte area that the lumber yards, Cement trucks, septic trucks and the propane companies all have no problem.

We have lumber coming on Monday from Butte 35+ miles away and they are not charging a delivery fee.

Montana has great web sites just full of information. You can pull up GIS maps of the subdivisons, who owns what parcel what it is valued at.

You can look at the websites and see if the contractor is licensed with the state also.

I would advise that solar only would not work all the time and would have to rely on wind or generator back up due to the cloudy days.

Well hopefully they won't delete this post....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana