Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,169 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I'm from GA and my wife is originally Missoula. We have spent the past 12 yr near Atlanta and we have always talked of moving to MT. Yes, I have read alot of info about the job market and cost of living. It is very discouraging. But with my career field I think I might have a shot at maintaining a good life for my family in MT. That's why I'm writing this thread.

The main reasons for moving are:
Her family- It's their turn to spend time with our kids.
Better quality of life (We have 2 children 7 and 4 yrs old)
The awesome outdoors

We came to Mt 2 yrs ago and I stopped by 5-10 body shops in Bozeman and Missoula and had 3 job offers. The flat rate pays more than where I'm at now. The total hours might be a little less due to less volume but it's still a comfortable life. Before we even left for the trip I had a job offer in Polson MT. They even offered to help with relocating expenses.

That was 2 years ago.

My question is how is the collision industry now? I hope someone that reads this, that is in the industry, can give me some insight on this. I will read all replies and appreciate all inputs.

I have 11 yrs experience 8 on Toyota and 3 on Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 05:21 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
I wish I could give you specific information. My Dad worked in auto body repair for most of his life in Butte. This is one occupation that is needed everywhere because everybody has a car and most everybody gets in a wreck every once in awhile. I can't imagine that this industry is going to change no matter what is going on with the economy so I don't think the job situation would be a problem. Montana's property tax seems a little steep and so does the state income tax. I'm sure your wife has told you about the winters and of course that means heating bills. I do think this forum makes it sound more negative than it really is but there's alot of things to consider. I think housing costs are surprisingly high in places like Missoula and some of the other popular areas. Western Montana is much more expensive because it's more scenic but certain areas are also becoming more crowded. Of course if you're near Atlanta that's one of the largest metropolitan areas as far as sprawl is concerned. I live in Phoenix which is also huge but Montana towns will seem tiny in comparison. My Step-Father ran his own diesel repair shop in Butte for over thirty years and was very successful before he retired. Your occupation can get you employed, you just have to consider the other pros and cons of living in Montana. Good luck to you.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:18 PM

62 posts, read 471,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post

My question is how is the collision industry now? I hope someone that reads this, that is in the industry, can give me some insight on this. I will read all replies and appreciate all inputs.
You've lived in Montana...We have snow, ice and hail. There are so many who use highway tires in the winter because the tires have a better ride and you're asking how the collision industry is? I am (knock on wood) a very careful driver that tries to stay away from things that take me to the big cities. I believe you would have a job. Can't guarantee high pay or benefits, but probably a job. Might have to stick around one of the larger cities though to stay busy. Kalispell/Poulson is big now.

If you know of any good diesel mechanics...I mean the ones who can trouble shoot and solve a problem we need them for sure !!!

Old 03-11-2007, 05:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
My Mother has been in so many wrecks in Montana she could probably keep a body shop busy all by herself. It always scares me when they take a long time somewhere. One time she even broadsided a police car on an icy road. I imagine that put a little scare into the cop. Because Montana has such long distances between places people do tend to do alot of driving and winter weather always makes things worse. I would think that wages for body repair work should be fairly good because it requires skill and experience. I think if someone is good at their job and gets a good reputation it generally results in a good salary because your employer doesn't want to lose you to his competition.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,169 times
Thanks for the feedback. I'm in contact with a body shop now. We have been playing phone tag for a few days. If we decide to make a move, my wife and I are thinking about me going up by myself with a camper and getting established somewhat then bringing the rest of the family.
Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,791 times
Smile Looking for trained body shop techs

Hey GABoy, if you’re still looking for a job in Montana, we operate 4-body shops in the Flathead Valley / Kalispell MT. There normally is always an opening for good qualified techs. We currently are looking for a journeyman painter and body techs. Also looking for a couple of detailers and paint prep'ers. Give me an e-mail back, and we can chat a little bit about.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,074,064 times
Open your own shop ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana