Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:26 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,919 times

Advertisements

Just running through the paper and this jumped out at me.
If they can pull this off my life will be so much easier.
Uusally have to check out 3 places in Anaconda and not locate it then its over to Butte to check there Hardware /lumber stores.
1 stop shopping sure makes my life much better.
See if it pans out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 PM

26 posts, read 207,649 times
Home Depot has been looking for a spot for almost five years. I heard they had one picked out, but the land owner sold it to someone else. Not sure if that's true. It would be nice to have them locate in Butte. They have a pretty fair pay rate, full time positions and benefits. Butte needs some growth and new places to go.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 PM

35 posts, read 208,220 times
I think there's another home building supply going up in Butte. I can't remember the name but it's based out of Alaska, I think. It's supposed to be going up somewhere on continental Drive.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:40 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Home Depot is a pretty good place to shop. They do tend to drive out their competition though. I notice that Lowe's and Home Depot seem to be in head to head competition after they knocked a few others out of business. I think they would do really well in Butte. Of course some of the small businesses just can't compete with a giant company like that. Their inventories are so large that a little hardware store that's privately owned just can't carry that much merchandise. However, I think consumers generally like it.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 PM

The thought is yes it would drive out the small places.

The thought backfired here, the local ace and true value slowed at the begining. As soon as people discovered that Home Depot did not have enough staff to help them they returned to there old stomping grounds. Now all three and thriving.

Same goes for the super walmart as soon as it opened the safeways were like a ghost town. People have returned there as well.

But to us who know our way around Lowes or Home Depot we don't require any assistance. get and go.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:42 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
The thought is yes it would drive out the small places.

The thought backfired here, the local ace and true value slowed at the begining. As soon as people discovered that Home Depot did not have enough staff to help them they returned to there old stomping grounds. Now all three and thriving.

Same goes for the super walmart as soon as it opened the safeways were like a ghost town. People have returned there as well.

But to us who know our way around Lowes or Home Depot we don't require any assistance. get and go.
I think some of our city/county guys are starting to finally look after some of the little guys around these parts..... in that just last year, Great Falls ixnayed the second proposed super walmart here... hands down.

Folks around here like the higher quality I guess, and even Albertsons is making a come-back..... and we have three of those.
(not that Albertsons is small by any stretch, they've just been here longer is all, and deserve our support I think)

And, as an added note.....

Shop at walmart here??... better pack a lunch....... as they don't have enough staff either...... so you end up standing at checkout 4ever...... lousy service or in some cases.... none at all.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:23 AM

We had a Albertsons it went away after this last shakeup.

Have not had to many problems with the superwalmart in Butte.

See what happens

Old 02-14-2007, 09:14 AM

462 posts, read 1,707,257 times
Default new big box store

The new warehouse store going in on Continental Drive is called Three Bears Alaska. It will have similar bulk groceries and household supply items that Costco carries including the Kirkland brand of things. It is scheduled to open this spring sometime. Although with all the snow it seems to be slow going. I see it every time I drive over to Butte which is at least once a week to do my grocery shopping. It will be a nice addition to Butte which seriously needs something like this. Shopping is pretty limited in Butte and if you want Costco you have to drive all the way to Bozeman and deal with the crowds.
They say anything you can find at Costco you will be able to find at Three Bears, an Alaska based company. We'll see!!

The Home Depot has been in the news all week and they are searching for a good location to build a new store in Butte. Nothing is carved in stone yet but they are searching locations.

There is also a new restaurant going in, in place of the Nite Owl on Harrison. I forget the name though.

Butte is slowly starting to progress which for Butte is actually a good thing. Uptown Butte has been so depressed for such a long time and all the new stores have moved away from the uptown area and built down on Harrison Ave. I'd love to see the beautiful old building in Uptown get a facelift and open some neat stores and pump some life back into town. The only thing that drives me up there anymore is the farmers market in the summer.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM

26 posts, read 207,649 times
The previous owner of the Nite Owl is rumored to be looking at purchasing the old Rosenberg building on Montana St and opening a bar with live bands.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM

yes the old section is pretty neat to walk and window shop.

hertz car rental has a shop up there and its fun to look around that old building when I need to get a vehicle from them. If only the old buildings could talk. Lots of stories to be told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana