Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:49 PM

79 posts, read 441,302 times

Advertisements

Yeah, yeah, I know... AVOID a confrontation... Just go with me on this...

So your in your back yard (ok, BIG back yard) minding your own business and out of the blue, unprovoked, a monster mama grizzly comes charging at you and your twin 2-year old kids. What PRACTICAL firearm would you like to have at your side (assuming you had time to get it, aim and fire)? (I'm not talking about a machine gun, bazooka, tank, etc.) I'm talking about guns/arms that are generally accepted as "normal," for whatever the term is worth.

What amo would you need to take a grizzly down? How about a black bear?

Any hand guns that can do the trick? Is a .44 Mag powerful enough to do the trick or will it just tickle the griz?

What rifle or shotgun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:13 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,615 times
When I go hiking with my buddies, I usually take a .22 caliber handgun along with me in case a grizzly comes along. I figure it'll do the job just fine.

Now some of you might wonder how in the heck a .22 will protect me. It's real simple. I shoot my buddies in the leg, and then I can run faster than them! Hahahahahaha

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about a bear confrontation in your backyard. I lived on 20 acres in Whitefish for 23 years and never once saw a grizzly in my backyard. My parents saw a black bear a couple times but it never bothered anybody.

My father was a forester and spent years in the woods and never once saw a grizzly up in the forest service land. The only ones he ever saw was when an elk went down on the railroad tracks near the goat lick south of Glacier Park.

I wouldn't worry about it. But if you do get one, make sure that you know how to use it safely and properly.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
When I'm out and about where bears could be I carry two things, bear spray and a .40 caliber semi automatic pistol.
If there's the time I'd shoot the spray and if needed the pistol. 44's and 45's will work 40's are better IMO. I'd also keep a 12 gauge shotgun around for those other critters that you're most likely to run into instead of a bear like coyotes,wolves and cats.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,179 times
If I'm staring down a charging bear in my back yard, I want a rifle with some serious punch. I'd probably opt for something like a .375 H&H with soft-pointed bullets for maximum knock-down power. There are plenty of smaller calibers that will handle a large bear, but if I'm being charged I want a lot of energy to knock 'em down quickly.

A .44 is certainly capable of taking down a grizzly. For that matter, so is a .357 or dozens of other smaller calibers. It's simply a matter of putting the bullet where it counts. Just the same, if I'm packing a handgun while walking out in the woods I want the knock-down power of something like a .44 or larger because any encounter would likely be at close range.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
A person actually could bring down a large griz with a 22 cal. You would have to be really lucky and a real good shot. Hit him in the eyes and mouth with all you got and start praying ! a 22 cal will not penetrate the skull and if you hit him in a muscle it will just **** him off. if you hit him in a vital organ he will die but not before shredding you to bits. a 22 can go through the eyes or mouth and hit the brain but even if you landed a few in the brain it still may not stop him before he shreds you to bits.
A 44 magnum would be in order but then you'll need a chiropractor to fix your back from wearing a ton of steel on one side.
Just joking, just keep trash put away and you wont have any bear problems. Several years back there was a news article stating that one year they had to remove 70 bears from the Flathead valley that were causing problems and 19 of them were grizzlies. They come to get fruit out of peoples trees and grub around in trash cans left out.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 AM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
A .12 with a slug is a really nasty weapon at close range. Another option would be a .45-70. Basically anything carrying a huge slug is a good choice at close range. A lot of the guides carry AKs or SKSs and a good part of them have been modified if u know what I mean

Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A .12 with a slug is a really nasty weapon at close range. Another option would be a .45-70. Basically anything carrying a huge slug is a good choice at close range. A lot of the guides carry AKs or SKSs and a good part of them have been modified if u know what I mean
Thats the ticket! Canadian officers carry 12 ga to dispatch problem
polar Bears in northern towns, if it does them in will a griz too.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:56 AM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Well if you are really good with a handgun, any of the 44 Mag and up will kill a grizzley. A 12 gauge slug, preferably one of the sabot-type slugs, will work at close range.

But if I wanted a bear gun, specifically, I'd definitely check out the Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun, or in 450 Marlin if you don't handload.

If you don't mind spending more to have the very best, a .376 Steyer "Dragoon Scout" rifle is it IMHO.

Another one I'd consider is the new 375 Ruger.

Whatever you choose, you will need to do some proper training and practice, this does not all have to be done with full-power loads but some of it should be. Benchrest style shooting won't do. You will need to practice shooting from your hind legs like a man.

All but the Scout will need a "ghost-ring" peep sight. Including the shotgun.

You will need to understand, academically, where to aim to hit the bear in a vital spot. Beyond the scope of a web forum to try to explain that.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:34 PM

139 posts, read 472,507 times
No offense, but you all are nutz. I'm picturing gardening with a hi-power rifle slung over your back, just in case a griz or black bear attacks. Yes, if you want to take down a bear a .45-70 is the weapon of choice (however, I've taken down plenty of big game with my "crowbar" .30-06), but seriously, to be so paranoid about an attack is pretty unrealistic. You'd have to have plenty of time to react to the attack too, I don't think many people realize just how fast a bear can move. You might never know what hit you (I'm not saying that to scare the bejeezous out of ya, because I don't think you'll have anything to worry about).
Rickers had a really good idea about bear-proofing your property. Bears don't just wander into populated areas unless their going after garbage and such. Another good suggestion is bear repellent....I can't say from experiance if it works, but hikers have sworn by the stuff. I guess it gives them time to get away. I've heard about playing dead...I don't think I could do that. I heard a story from a guy who got mauled in Glacier and he tried to remain still while the griz was naughing on his head...and he could hear the teeth scraping his skull. Nearly all bear/human encounters in this state have been people wandering into bear territory, not the other way around. So, unless you live way out in the boonies, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about an attack.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:34 PM

989 posts, read 3,525,276 times
I've killed two black bears with 44 mag and they went down first shot each. The brown bear is thicker and a lot tougher but I always feel pretty safe with my 44 up here in Alaska. A short shot gun with slugs would be best but they are not as easy to keep on you and if its in the truck it does you no good at all.
The 44 mag with 300 grain solids is going to be a lot more effective than most people think. I have done some experimenting on the carcass of a large brown bear that was shot for breaking into cabins. My 44 mag went in and out through the thickest parts of the bear. I also tried to get the bullet to skip off the skull at extreme angles; as hard as I tried the bullet never would skip like we are told they do on bear skulls.
Keep in mind, most of the people who talk about guns and bears and all this stuff have never even killed or field dressed a bear. Most just like to talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana