Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 25,943 times

Advertisements

My family and I may be relocating to billings for my job. What areas/neighborhoods are good for young families? We have a 3 yo and a 5 yo. Both my husband and I work, so I need to find a good preschool and elementary school. I have no idea where to start looking for a house!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,028 times
Other than good schools what are you looking for? Are you buying a home, and if so, what is your budget? Do you prefer new construction, older but nice homes, older but realllllllllllly nice homes, less expensive decent homes? That makes quite a difference. From my experience (I substitute taught in Billings in all schools) all of the schools are pretty comparable. They have good teachers and administration. Your outlook on the socioeconomic level of families in the neighborhood/school area also could make a difference. If you could give me some more info I can give you some specific suggestions.

I, myself, choose to live in Laurel, which is about 10 miles west on the interstate from Billings....close to the Billings west end amenities. I teach in Laurel as I prefer the school district and live here as it is smaller town living within a short jaunt to Billings. Do you prefer the bigger town (Billings itself has a little over 100K people) or a smaller one (anything from a few hundred people to 5,000ish) to raise your family?

How far do you want to drive to work? What part of town are you working in? Everything in Billings is relatively "close" no matter what part of town you live in.....however, the biggest traffic problem (if you call it that, it's nothing compared to cities!) is coming into Billings from "the Heights" area of town & going back home during rush hour time. It is especially tougher when it snows. Some people won't live in the heights due to this and some don't mind at all, depending on what they're used to, what time they have to be at work, etc. That's something you need to consider. It actually takes me much less time to get to most anything in Billings from here in Laurel than it did when I lived in the heights. I'm not bashing that part of Billings, it's a great neighborhood, I just want you to be aware of conditions, etc.

There are a lot of good preschools in all areas of Billings. I took a couple of years off of teaching and was a school photographer so I was in a lot of them. I could give you some suggestions from that perspective once I know the part of town you desire.

Any other info you need, just ask! There are lots of good people on this site who are very helpful. Welcome to Billings
Georgia

Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM

21 posts, read 127,222 times
Stay away from the south side.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
Stay away from the south side.
Any particular reason?

Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 25,943 times
Thank you GEORGIAMT! We will probably want to rent initially for a few months or a year to make sure we are happy. Rent wise we are looking at $1500-$2000 a month. When we buy, it will be in the $350k area. We are coming from Phoenix, so are used to larger city, but I was raised in a town in California about the same size as Billings. I am mainly concerned with living in a neighborhood or area where there are other families with young children, not in an area with more retired age. Not that I have anything against retired people, I just want other children around for my kids. I will be working on Grand (still not sure where on Grand until I go up there in a couple weeks. A longer commute would not be great since I want to be close for my kids. I am used to traffic though, living here in Phoenix and spending a few years in Washington DC.

Thanks for all the information!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,222,028 times
It sounds like you will have your pick of parts of town once you are ready to buy. $350K is quite a bit for Billings so it will buy you a nice place. Rent is higher, though, so it's doubtful you will be able to rent a that is the same caliber as one you'll eventually buy in your rental price range. I'm not saying you will have to settle for something "bad", though! You should be able to find a nice home to rent. Working on Grand, if I were you I would want to stay on the NW side of town, where there are a lot of nice newer neighborhoods in your price range. There are lots of kids in those neighborhoods, too. The area between Grand and the rims (north of Rimrock Rd.) has nice homes of various ages/prices. From what you've said so far it sounds like somewhere on the West end of town would be a good fit for your family.

I wouldn't worry about what people are saying about the south side or even have to go into conversations about it here. Most of that part of town is well below your budget although you may run across a few rentals there that are higher than average for that neighborhood. Most of the south side has older homes and there are quite a few older people there as well. I'll just say that my perspective is that it isn't a good fit for you!

One word of caution...when you are looking to rent DO NOT go through a rental agency....there is a guy in town who just gets his listings from the newspapers, etc. then charges you for him to find you a place. You should never have to pay someone to find a rental. I would suggest that you get ahold of a real estate agent who could lead you in the right direction, or just follow Billings Gazette ads yourself. I could refer you to some good realtors if you'd like.

Any other questions? I'll do my best to help you out!
Georgia

Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,688 times
Hey Georgia,

Your input is really really valuable. My wife is currently on a temp assignment at ConocoPhillips Refinery in billings. I am going to be visiting this coming weekend (18th - 20th June). If everything works right then we maybe moving to Billings from Long Beach, CA (Big Big Change). We both work and currently do not have any kids.

I wanted some input from you as to where we should be looking for a home (300K @ max I want to look around the town this weekend), ofcourse we would rent initailly and then look for a home and we do not have issues getting an old or a new home, we are more concerned about the area where to look for home in. Since most of the cities in Los Angeles have a good and a bad part, does billings also have something like that.

I would probably be working from home, but my wife would be driving and she has never driven in snow, so i am not too sure if getting a house nearby or a little far away would be better.

Hopefully i have not boared with my questions and hope you would be ok with clarifying any more queries from me.

Sanjay

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM

684 posts, read 1,151,409 times
The real estate sales people have designated areas in town by number, 1-9. You'll probably want look in areas 7 and 8 (west part of Billings), maybe parts of area 5 (central/close to older center of town; includes the historic district), and parts of the Heights (don't know the numbers). You will definitely not be interested in area 4 (southside). People either like or dislike the Heights; I find few people who are neutral on it.) Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in the Heights (I live in the historic district).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana