Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:56 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Someday, I will be aged. I can only hope that my daughter and her husbad take me along. I can't imagine setting here all alone and her saying "Dad, we're going to see Yellowstone". and her not asking me, Would you like to go along.

My family has always been very close We do things as a family. When the kids were young, if I went to the store, I loaded every one of them in car seats and we went to the store. Even for a case of coke. We all went. That's just us.

But now I read a post that says "What the hell do you want to bring them along for?"

What??????? Bring them along like it's a chore? It's a duty? It's going to put you out to have your folks along?

Sorry. I can only hope that my kids think enough of me to "drag me along" when I'm older.

No. I don't want to be a burdon. Don't think I will. But if I am. Just go ahead and shoot me. That's what I did with the dog when it no longer was able to hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 02:48 PM

198 posts, read 354,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Someday, I will be aged. I can only hope that my daughter and her husbad take me along. I can't imagine setting here all alone and her saying "Dad, we're going to see Yellowstone". and her not asking me, Would you like to go along.

My family has always been very close We do things as a family. When the kids were young, if I went to the store, I loaded every one of them in car seats and we went to the store. Even for a case of coke. We all went. That's just us.

But now I read a post that says "What the hell do you want to bring them along for?"

What??????? Bring them along like it's a chore? It's a duty? It's going to put you out to have your folks along?

Sorry. I can only hope that my kids think enough of me to "drag me along" when I'm older.

No. I don't want to be a burdon. Don't think I will. But if I am. Just go ahead and shoot me. That's what I did with the dog when it no longer was able to hunt.
Did it ever occur to you that all parents don't make great traveling companions?

I loved both my parents, and my wife's parents, but taking them along on a road trip was never even in the cards. My mom would *** the entire trip, and everything would be about her. She would come up with the wildest ailments that would require that everyone pay attention to her until she had had her fill of attention...for that day. My father would never utter a peep, but somewhere, somehow he would manage to conceal several pints of Haller's whiskey, and at every stop he would probably manage to drink a half pint. That soothed over my mother's incessant yakking. My parents would make a trip together hell...pure and simple. It would never even be a consideration.

I spent many hours of my youth cooped up on a Chris Craft with them sailing around the New England coast...great parents, but not my kind of people to spend lots of time with together. Neither of them walked to the corner store let alone taking long hikes in the deserts or mountains. Absurd thought to even consider taking them where we go. The closest either got to any kind of wilderness...by choice... was by watching TV shows.

My in-laws would never be able to do our road trips. They weren't physical beings, and the thought of hiking or anything to do with anything but looking out car windows and stopping at every junk shop on the trip would be met with utter disdain. Their idea of a good time would be a cruise or staying at a resort for a couple weeks sitting beside a pool and eating

Nope....and no thanks...we like our road trips to be just us. My folks are both dead, and my wife's dad passed away 18 years ago. We take her mom out to eat, and we take her for day visits like weddings or other family get togethers, but the thought of my 78 year old mom-in-law hiking around King's Canyon is ludicrous.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM

I hate my stepmother. But that don't count. I can only hope, I can take her with.

If you don't care about them, great. I don't care of mine, but that's me. But I won't push that on a thread. I'ts me. I'd my familily. It''z nonw od youe buisiness.

Who the hell are you to make judgements on somebody's family? You can do what you want. That's cool. But to judge me on my mothers values, sir, you've steppetd out of line. Walk careful, the ice is thin.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:48 PM

198 posts, read 354,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I hate my stepmother. But that don't count. I can only hope, I can take her with.

If you don't care about them, great. I don't care of mine, but that's me. But I won't push that on a thread. I'ts me. I'd my familily. It''z nonw od youe buisiness.

Who the hell are you to make judgements on somebody's family? You can do what you want. That's cool. But to judge me on my mothers values, sir, you've steppetd out of line. Walk careful, the ice is thin.
With all due respect, my friend, I made no judgements on your family...in fact, I never even alluded to your family. Re-read the post. The only mention of family I made was of my own.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Ok y'all, let's get our sense of humor back, take a breath, chuckle at the thread and relax....Let the other states fight amongst themselves,We're all friends here right???

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
My folks always took us kids along on their road trips and I would take them with me on mine if they were still among us.
My ex mother in law ? Well that's a different story !

Old 05-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
My folks always took us kids along on their road trips and I would take them with me on mine if they were still among us.
My ex mother in law ? Well that's a different story !
hahaha Like I mentioned, I don't really get along with the stepmother. Would I take her, hell yes. But there is a roll of duct tape in the truck and I think I would apply a few strips. You know, here and there to kind of quiete the ride, so to speak.

But in all honesty, yes, I would take her and enjoy the insight she could give me.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:30 PM

65 posts, read 206,127 times
We had friends visit from Arizona last summer - he is in a wheel chair, feeding tube etc. We did the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier with the new bus/shuttle system --- it was great. Everyone got to see out the big windows. You can get off and explore then get on the next bus so you can make the trip all the way from the west side to east side or just to the top and come back down. Only problem there is no restaurant at the summit so you need to plan for that (there are at other stops). It worked really good for him. You just catch the shuttle at the entrance.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 PM

65 posts, read 206,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
So my husband and I have a trip planned with my parents up to Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. Having never been to Glacier, I'm not real sure what to expect. We were thinking of booking two to three nights at a campground outside of Glacier, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to find enough things to do/see in Glacier for two days. My mother is not much into the great outdoors! I drove her halfway up Trail Ridge Rd in Rocky Mtn National Park and she was bored ! I know, I know...why is she coming ? But anyway, I'm sure we can force her to sit through a day of wandering through Glacier, but are there are things to do/see in the area in case we've "seen enough" in one day?

We're also thinking of taking a day or so and just doing some sightseeing on the way down to Yellowstone (staying in West Yellowstone). Any must sees on the drive down?

This is probably a difficult question to answer, but now you can understand my dilemma!
On your trip from Glacier to Yellowstone. If you drive Highway 93 you will go through the Flathead and Mission Valleys --- awesome scenery and mountains. Flathead Lake is south of Kalispell (it is 15 miles wide, 30 miles long). Go down the east shore (I think it is Hwy 35 - you will hook back into 93 in Polson)- prettiest drive and you can stop at Bigfork (artists, summer theatre, boating, fishing, golfing, shopping, etc). Polson has a nice old golf course, bird viewing around the Ninepipes area and Ninepipes Musuem is a nice surprise (go through the museum not just the store). St. Ignatius has the old Mission church - with murals like the Sistine Chapel. Dixon/Moise has the National Bison Range. Then on to Missoula ----
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana