Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 07:04 AM

32 posts, read 31,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You are welcome.

To clarify: would you accept 2 pieces of land, one for each purpose or are you looking for one parcel for both?

Entirely your business about acres and budget, but sometimes folks have comments / useful comments when they know your parameters. And your commuting distance preference or limit.

So in all honesty I have been very torn about this. I am at an age where I can buy land and pay it off during my working career (I am 37 this December). I have considered buying 500-1000 acres that is available in some areas, OR purchasing multiple (10+ lots) at 40-50 acres at $25-35K a lot. I am seriously looking for a lot of land almost all entirely for recreational use only; and CRP land. I am also as stated earlier looking for land to protect Montana's farm/ranchland and allow them to graze/cultivate land or I'd slap it into a CRP if possible to keep it protected.

Commuting -- If I am able to transfer my job up to Helena (God-willing) I'd prefer a 30-45 minute commute (NO SNOW) and upto a 1-1.5 hour commute (WITH SNOW). If I can't get my job transferred into Helena, then I am literally willing to work anywhere on the eastern half of MT as it allows my wife/kids to see their grandparents within a days drive, and the father-in-law and myself can go Harley riding. I will also be starting a family business out of wherever I "land" so commuting from that standpoint also doesn't matter as I will have to travel anyways.

My budget/thoughts are in the process so any input could make changes to what I think is considerable, aggressive or not aggressive enough; no problems with anyone's input. I greatly appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'd stay far away from any reservation. I've heard there are rough areas of Great Falls and Billings but not sure how accurate that is. Butte is quite a colorful town. Lots of pride in the city but I don't think there's much of an economy (correct me if I'm wrong).

I actually have some close family friends that live out in... North/North Eastern upper half of Montana that have told me some similar things, but I have absolutely no idea what's out there except that kind of flat lands area. I've personally never been in that area.

I've also heard some similar things about Great Falls and to keep my distance without really learning/knowing the area.

I know when I was living in WA we lived in-between 3 different Native American reservations and while we personally never had any issues with anyone, others sure did. I don't mind anyone wanting to be my neighbor but I am not one that wants to see your house if I am living on 50 acres LOL

Thanks for the input!

Old 08-26-2020, 08:13 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Last fall we drove the Red Canyon Scenic Backcountry Byway near Lander Wyoming. Along the route, we saw signs that said the land we were driving through was owned by the Nature Conservancy. They allowed grazing to preserve ranch lands. You may want to research their partnerships with ranch owners.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Last fall we drove the Red Canyon Scenic Backcountry Byway near Lander Wyoming. Along the route, we saw signs that said the land we were driving through was owned by the Nature Conservancy. They allowed grazing to preserve ranch lands. You may want to research their partnerships with ranch owners.

Ahh!!!! This is exactly the kind of things I am looking for! Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Steve

Old 08-26-2020, 05:30 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
American Prairie Reserve

https://www.americanprairie.org/

I believe it is on north side of Missouri, south of Malta / Glasgow. Very big and may get bigger. Could be a visit, ideas or more.

Talk to some knowledgeable about CRP. USDA, Extension, State Ag, land attorney, conservation groups.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:44 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'd stay far away from any reservation. I've heard there are rough areas of Great Falls and Billings but not sure how accurate that is. Butte is quite a colorful town. Lots of pride in the city but I don't think there's much of an economy (correct me if I'm wrong).
I have lived on and near the rez land in question. I had no problems but you gotta leave the tv series programs about how great Custer was at the doorstep. Butte has seen better days - if the mining would return they'd have a chance. Lotsa cheaper land there. Brutally cold in the winter. With the downturn in rail travel, the "high line" towns of Havre, Wolfpoint, are suffering from the cutbacks. Glasgow does well no matter with giant Ft Peck reservoir and Shelby with the interstate traffic.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
I have lived on and near the rez land in question. I had no problems but you gotta leave the tv series programs about how great Custer was at the doorstep. Butte has seen better days - if the mining would return they'd have a chance. Lotsa cheaper land there. Brutally cold in the winter. With the downturn in rail travel, the "high line" towns of Havre, Wolfpoint, are suffering from the cutbacks. Glasgow does well no matter with giant Ft Peck reservoir and Shelby with the interstate traffic.

So, just clarifying. Your first sentence about leaving Custer at the doorstep. Custer was a moron who never should have done what he did. Are you basically saying, don't bring that stuff up near the rez?

Butte -- I am interpreting that as near Butte there is a lot of cheaper land yes?

Glasgow -- Isn't there an AFB up there or is that Mahlstrom I am thinking of?

Havre, Wolfpoint -- I've heard of Havre, but not Wolfpoint. Are the towns/communities holding or does it seem to be where they may become "ghost-towns" ?

Thanks all!

Steve

Old 08-29-2020, 09:19 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Wolfpoint has actually grown some in last 10 years, erasing losses from previous 15-20 years. May be energy development related. Families of workers getting cheaper, quieter housing perhaps?

Havre has also recovered about half of the population lost from 1990 - 2010.

Wolfpoint violent and property crime rates 25-35% above national average. Havre about 65-80% higher.

Glasgow very safe. Same trend of modest recent population increase after some earlier decline.

Malmstrom near Helena is the only official airforce base in MT.

Butte probably does have lower land prices than near more popular cities. Not sure how it compares to near Great Falls or areas without a hub city. Would want to know nearby mining history and who owns the mineral rights to land there or anywhere.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-29-2020 at 09:55 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 11:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Wolfpoint has actually grown some in last 10 years, erasing losses from previous 15-20 years. May be energy development related. Families of workers getting cheaper, quieter housing perhaps?

Havre has also recovered about half of the population lost from 1990 - 2010.

Wolfpoint violent and property crime rates 25-35% above national average. Havre about 65-80% higher.

Glasgow very safe. Same trend of modest recent population increase after some earlier decline.

Malmstrom near Helena is the only official airforce base in MT.

Butte probably does have lower land prices than near more popular cities. Not sure how it compares to near Great Falls or areas without a hub city. Would want to know nearby mining history and who owns the mineral rights to land there or anywhere.
Malmstrom is just outside of Great Falls. Years ago didn't the Wolf Point area have the highest murder rate per capita in the country? I seem to remember hearing that in high school, not sure how accurate it was/is.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:23 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Great.Oxen View Post
So, just clarifying. Your first sentence about leaving Custer at the doorstep. Custer was a moron who never should have done what he did. Are you basically saying, don't bring that stuff up near the rez?

Well, unless you want to be punched out - yeah

Quote:
Butte -- I am interpreting that as near Butte there is a lot of cheaper land yes?
Yeah

Quote:
Glasgow -- Isn't there an AFB up there or is that Mahlstrom I am thinking of?
There was a base there until 1976, but not now - new identifier by FAA is 07MT. In recent years, the former base has seen intermittent use as a testing site for Boeing aircraft designs. The former base housing area is now the residential community of St. Marie, Montana, though most of the buildings remain vacant.

Malmstrom is in Great Falls and houses missile platforms

Quote:
Havre, Wolfpoint -- I've heard of Havre, but not Wolfpoint. Are the towns/communities holding or does it seem to be where they may become "ghost-towns" ?
Not Havre, but likely Wolfpoint and other smaller towns will fade away if this sickness continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana