Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 17,244 times

Advertisements

Where about can you find farms or ranches in the Billings area? What towns nearby are there housing with properties but that don't exceed more than say $300k. What would also be a good option for someone who wanted to start a hobby farm in the area? Buy land, build a house on it or buy a mobile and put it on the property and build shops/barns and such? What would be the best idea that y'all have experienced or recommend? Any tips y'all have about house/property buying in Billings and or Montana in general. I'm in my early 20's, so, it'll be a few years before I decide to buy a house but I am always looking at the market, and seeing what is available and how it differs from state to state and city to city etc. So, I am just curious on what Montanans think. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:25 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Look north to Roundup. There's ground in that area for more reasonable prices, but make sure there's water and that you can site a septic system. That area has a sheet of solid rock under it that can be problematic, but with forethought, manageable.

Figure out what you want to do with the land before you start looking. Good cropland costs more per acre than pasture land, you can farm dryland without irrigation, but stock need good water. If you want shelter belts or timber, it'll cost more than bare ground with little or no timber.

If you want to make a living off your ground, you'll need enough to land to support the production you'll need to generate sufficient income.

It can be done, I just bought 160 acres with a barn and good 3 bed/2 bath trailer for 190K, but I just retired and have a pension so while I will raise crops and some stock, I have an income and because I sold my house for enough to pay for the new property so I don't have payments aside from taxes and insurance. I have a good well and a small year round creek.
You noted you're pretty young, so having a small farm or ranch as a goal is great. You can plan your finances to meet your goals. I was able to retire 8 years early because I planned for it.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 PM

246 posts, read 349,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerIvan View Post
Where about can you find farms or ranches in the Billings area? What towns nearby are there housing with properties but that don't exceed more than say $300k. What would also be a good option for someone who wanted to start a hobby farm in the area? Buy land, build a house on it or buy a mobile and put it on the property and build shops/barns and such? What would be the best idea that y'all have experienced or recommend? Any tips y'all have about house/property buying in Billings and or Montana in general. I'm in my early 20's, so, it'll be a few years before I decide to buy a house but I am always looking at the market, and seeing what is available and how it differs from state to state and city to city etc. So, I am just curious on what Montanans think. Thank you

Going to be pretty dry in the Billings area. 300K won't buy a lot. I was in NW Montana and you could hardly buy 20 acres of bare ground for 300K lol. I went east to the Northern Great Lakes. You can buy a small farm with all buildings and a decent house for 250-300K and you don't have to irrigate......

https://www.farmflip.com/farm/172965

https://www.farmflip.com/farm/175756

As a comparison i also searched Yellowstone County in FarmFlip, (Billings Area) for ANY homes on any size lot for under 300 K and none came up.....

Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
How close to Billings do you want to be? I'd look between Park City and Columbus or maybe out to Reed Point.

If the big city isn't that important, maybe look around Lewistown. Not far from mountains.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-10-2019 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
How close to Billings do you want to be? I'd look between Park City and Columbus or maybe out to Reed Point.

If the big city isn't that important, maybe look around Lewistown. Not far from mountains.

Not too far, I would say at least no more than a 45 minute drive. I'm kinda looking for at least to be somewhat away from neighbors and the city but not too far away from a highway. If that makes sense.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerIvan View Post
Not too far, I would say at least no more than a 45 minute drive. I'm kinda looking for at least to be somewhat away from neighbors and the city but not too far away from a highway. If that makes sense.
In that case, Columbus. Quite a bit of ground north of town, much cheaper than close in to Billings, right at 45 minutes, interstate 90 all the way to Billings.

Again, water can be an issue, but you can find 20 acre lots for under $50,000, some with buildings, but you'll need a house or really fix up what's there.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:05 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
I don't think you can get it done for that. Here is what you are lookng for, but it is 99k more.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...965499&view=qv

Old 02-12-2019, 01:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
In that case, Columbus. Quite a bit of ground north of town, much cheaper than close in to Billings, right at 45 minutes, interstate 90 all the way to Billings.

Again, water can be an issue, but you can find 20 acre lots for under $50,000, some with buildings, but you'll need a house or really fix up what's there.
These are not farm land. They are building sites where the people that want to not be close to neighbors live. In addition, the vast majority of them will be where you have to buy a pickup to carry around a 350 gallon tank on the back to go to a water depot where for a fee you can fill the tank, and take home to put into your home tank which you draw all water for the house, etc. In addition, it can cost $20,00 or more to bring in electric power, telephone, internet, For Each.

The OP wants farm land that can be farmed. And farm land in Montana is not cheap land like the OP is looking for. And he wants it with an easy commute to Billings, making it even more expensive.

I do understand farm land, growing up on a large Cattle Ranch part of which was farm land to grow cattle feed. I spent from 1972 till I retired as an investment real estate broker, and was involved in numerous farm transactions.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
These are not farm land. They are building sites where the people that want to not be close to neighbors live. In addition, the vast majority of them will be where you have to buy a pickup to carry around a 350 gallon tank on the back to go to a water depot where for a fee you can fill the tank, and take home to put into your home tank which you draw all water for the house, etc. In addition, it can cost $20,00 or more to bring in electric power, telephone, internet, For Each.

The OP wants farm land that can be farmed. And farm land in Montana is not cheap land like the OP is looking for. And he wants it with an easy commute to Billings, making it even more expensive.

I do understand farm land, growing up on a large Cattle Ranch part of which was farm land to grow cattle feed. I spent from 1972 till I retired as an investment real estate broker, and was involved in numerous farm transactions.
I agree with part of that, but I did mention the water situation, and while semi remote, it isn't as far from towns and people as I like.
A lot of that ground is pasture land true, but the folks around Rapleje may disagree with you about it's suitability as crop land as they raise a LOT of grain in the area between Rapleje and Columbus, and over to Billings.

The OP didn't specify what crops or livestock they wanted to raise, just the price range, so I was trying to work with that first. I was raised on a ranch, and just bought a small ranch to retire on, and it's remote but still within an hour of Billings, just not on good enough roads for daily travel. I've bought and sold a couple ranches over the years, not huge pieces, but usable so while I'm not getting a commission for my advice, I do know ranching in Montana. Usable ground isn't always a prime piece for building a mcmansion, or being convenient to town, but if finances are a factor, then sometimes you have to go where you can afford to live.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I agree with part of that, but I did mention the water situation, and while semi remote, it isn't as far from towns and people as I like.
A lot of that ground is pasture land true, but the folks around Rapleje may disagree with you about it's suitability as crop land as they raise a LOT of grain in the area between Rapleje and Columbus, and over to Billings.

The OP didn't specify what crops or livestock they wanted to raise, just the price range, so I was trying to work with that first. I was raised on a ranch, and just bought a small ranch to retire on, and it's remote but still within an hour of Billings, just not on good enough roads for daily travel. I've bought and sold a couple ranches over the years, not huge pieces, but usable so while I'm not getting a commission for my advice, I do know ranching in Montana. Usable ground isn't always a prime piece for building a mcmansion, or being convenient to town, but if finances are a factor, then sometimes you have to go where you can afford to live.

My apologies, I didn't specify what I would like to raise, but with that being said, I have been thinking about Highland Cattle, maybe a head of 5 or so, no more than 10 and some chickens and ducks of course. I guess, if there is decent pasture land that can be worked or is at least enough to sustain at least 5 head for the spring/summer, I think I would be good. I would plan to buy hay and stock up for them as I wouldn't see myself actually growing hay and cutting it and baling it. It would just be a small hobby farm for myself. On another note, how many acres would be sufficient for a cow and cow calf pair in the Yellowstone County area? I am sure there are variables, but if any of y'all wouldn't mind to share some ideas and or opinions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana