Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 13,904 times

Advertisements

@Jayne Cobb - I get what you are saying as I have lived in many places it snows. I was born in Colorado Springs and was raised in Michigan. Then moved back and forth between FL, and CO Springs. As an adult I then moved to Ohio and spent many years there. We lived in the Snowbelt of Ohio so we always had a lot of Lake effect snow. I then moved to Divide CO. (which is in the mountains. So I understand about grey and gloomy winters. I also understand what you mean the snow melts as soon as it is done snowing. I have live more of my life in a snowy climate than I have lived in milder climates. The reason why is because I hate being hot. I hate hot humid weather. On the acreage we haven't fully decided. We keep going back and forth between 50 acres to 250. As to where we are looking we haven't decided that either. We want to visit these places to see which place speaks to us more. I do know that we don't want to be near a college town. We also decided that as long as it is under 5000 people we would be comfortable. We definitely want a small grocery store. As we don't want to have to drive a couple hours just to get milk. Also I am not political so for me I don't really care if it is left sided, right sided, or liberal.

@Clark Fork Fantast - Hi, I have heard that Ennis is beautiful. One area I have been looking into recently is the Bitterroot region and Darby. I have seen some beautiful pictures from there. So far the places on my list to visit is. Thompson Falls, Darby, and Polebridge. That is what I have come up with so far.

Just so everyone knows I am not planning on buying anything until I am on site looking at it and after I have inspectors come out and make sure I can build on the property. IE: digging a well, septic. All the stuff you need to do. Once we have picked the place that we just absolutely love then that is the place we will be spending a lot of time. Not just in summer, but in all seasons. We are going into this with our eyes wide open. We have always preferred the colder climates over the warmer climates. Just work would take us away from the colder climates. Now that we are retiring we are wanting to make the final and last move to a colder climate and we both have always loved Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 10:00 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Darby has a small grocery but not that much else. 750 people. More than that with people in further out spots.

Since you lived in Divide, you have small town experience. Not everybody that posts here saying they want it have that experience, so some cautions and reality checks get added to alert folks that it is different.

Polebridge is real different. No electricity (unless there has been a big development recently). Huge winter, tiny rough road. 200 people in summer, maybe 25 in winter. One small everything you're going to be able to get here store. Was open May - Sept. / Oct. Kinda like the Alaskan bush.

Thompson Falls is by comparison bustling & easy.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-10-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-10-2017, 01:10 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie1221 View Post
@Ericsvibe - Thank you for the list of towns. Whitefish was a place that I recognize and was interested in.

Does anyone know where can I find a topographical map?
I sent you a link to a property. My renter moved last year to Columbia Falls and he loves it. So, check that out online.

I would suggest that you research the areas that have the mountains, snow that you desire, then find out what their small farmer papers are and get online and read those.

Unless you want to deal with big realty, stick with small town realty or local news/sales flyers.

Montana Newspapers -- DailyEarth.com

Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM

61 posts, read 85,234 times
I'm new to Montana but when I hear your requirements I think of Red Lodge. Maybe a seasoned Montanan can give input.

It's got mountains, skiing, reasonably close to Yellowstone, but still close enough to Billings to have the amenities you want.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
You may also look at northern Idaho. Lots of what you're looking for, and you have Spokane within an hour or two drive for any major shopping or medical needs. I'd look around Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene. Especially Sandpoint since employment isn't an issue. There are areas to the south of both that have plenty of nice, large parcels with lake and mountain views. Fishing is waaaaaay better than in Montana, as lake Coeur d'Alene has inland salmon that were stocked there and have been thriving. Also kokanee fishing nearby, as well as steelhead and salmon fishing on the rivers within a 2-hour drive. Seattle is a $75 flight each way from Spokane.

Regardless, I think somewhere near Kalispell or Whitefish would be a good fit too. Or Missoula. The nice thing about Missoula and the surrounding areas, when it does snow it gets sunny out within a few days. Not so much in northern Idaho.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
I've learned Darby opened a small health clinic and new visitor center last year and that there a few more businesses than I had noticed before. A small library. And better fiber optic cable coming to the school and maybe eventually the town. Progress. And Hamilton only a half hour away for most other stuff. A good candidate indeed for what you want.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 PM

17 posts, read 37,175 times
I love and vote for Cut Bank! Famous for its huge penguin and for sometimes being "the coldest spot in the nation" in weather, but warm and friendly Cut Bankers. A brand new brewery is about to open, and CB is working on a very nice and big new walking/bicycle trails system, plus new medical businesses opening to add to many established businesses. CB's a wonderful, forward-looking city with great schools, shopping, housing and other amenities. Newly redone Main Street is nice, 2-screen Movie theater shows current movies. Good city police department. It's just a great town! Check CUT BANK out!

Old 05-06-2017, 07:20 PM

140 posts, read 139,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Montana Land for sale, Montana Acreage for Sale, Montana Lots for Sale at LandWatch.com

Montana landwatch is a good bellweather site.

Emigrant might fit your needs. It is very wintry.
It also gets lots of sun through the winter. I made a friend there and hes sends me some amazing pics of the valley

Old 05-08-2017, 11:39 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Here is a source of information on parcels of land. I set this for 200 to 300 acre land parcels for sale. I hope you don't think land is cheap here in Montana, because it is not cheap.. You want land in the more scenic areas, and it is higher priced. Note the land parcels start at about Half A Million Dollars for flat farm land, and one to two million or so in the size and type of areas you say you want to buy land.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Another one, set up to read the magazine on line.

https://issuu.com/billingsgazette/docs/winter_mt_land

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2017 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I've learned Darby opened a small health clinic and new visitor center last year and that there a few more businesses than I had noticed before. A small library. And better fiber optic cable coming to the school and maybe eventually the town. Progress. And Hamilton only a half hour away for most other stuff. A good candidate indeed for what you want.

I looked at this a few days ago and thought "Darby.... Darby Darby Darby.... I know I've been there.

Finally booted it up. Beautiful little place, I went through last year to replace some stuff. The whole area is really nice, but there was something about Darby. Very charming little place. And yes, it's been getting easier to get fiber internet in some of the most rural areas of the west right now. Lots of network expansion and readily available high speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana