Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 11,312 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Bitterroot Valley and left after graduating from the U of M. We plan on moving back to Montana as soon as my spouse retires in a year or so. I really loved the Bitterroot Valley but I'm thinking I want a clean fresh start with new people and no old history, so I prefer to avoid Stevensville, Victor, Corvallis and Hamilton. I liked the weather and the views in the Bitterroot. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? We are looking for a beautiful small mountain town with a nearby good size town/city within maybe an hour drive or so. Would prefer an area that isn't as overcast and grey.. as say, Polson. Some place that isn't bitter cold and windy.

Economy really isn't an issue because we will be retired. Would prefer a place where the people are friendly, laid back and maybe bit opened minded. Last time I visited the Valley, meth was a big thing. I'm not sure if it is still a big problem but would like to avoid a place that has a lot of crime and meth addiction. We plan on getting a few acres some place kind of secluded, but where we can still get phone and internet service. Would prefer someplace that had reasonable priced real estate.

Can't wait to move back. Pretty much all I think about. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
Small mountain town near city, not too cold and not the Bitterroot Valley? Hmm... depends of your standards for small mountain town, near city and not too cold but you could look at Superior / St.Regis, Thompson Falls (or Plains / Paradise), Eureka, Townsend, Big Timber, Dillon, Twin Bridges / Sheridan, Whitehall or Bridger. Maybe spots in Idaho, if you are flexible, like Plummer, St. Maries or Orofino. Salmon Idaho or Cody Wyoming if you relaxed the near a bigger city criteria. Possibly Chewelah, Colville or Newport WA. For cheap real estate, there is Harlowton.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-12-2016 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
I agree with a lot of those places, in particular Thompson Falls. 1 hour to Sandpoint, about 1 1/2 hour (maybe 2 hours) to Missoula. Smaller and a little more remote, but much closer to Sandpoint would be Noxon, with good cell reception. That can be spotty along Highway 200. Last time we were there last summer we took a nice walk in the very nice, well-kept city park along the river, and realized the big black shadow on the other side of the ballpark fence was a big black bear. In the city park! The Bitterroots are rising right behind Noxon, that's why. Wild country with a nice city park.

Somewhat grey in winter, yes, but not terribly windy, and not very cold, because it is on the big Clark Fork River and the reservoir. The views are stupendous. And did I mention there are bears?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks so much for the ideas!! I will start looking at real estate listings in the Thompson Falls area first and hit some of the others mentioned in the thread. Oh also we are looking someplace that has majestic type mountain views like the Bitterroot has.
Again thank you!

Last edited by MagicHair; 04-13-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
Thompson Falls beauty shot
http://tinyurl.com/j4yee54

Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 PM

And down the road (Highway 200, the Clark Fork River)--majestic enough for you?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 PM

Absolutely beautiful! Been look at listings in Thompson Fall tonight. Not many listings available online there right now and most are only an acre. I will also research nearby towns, this area does looks a place we'd be very interested in exploring further.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:36 PM

I forgot to mention that you should include Trout Creek in your search, about half way between Noxon and Thompson Falls, on the river. The town isn't as charming as Thompson Falls, but the scenery is every bit as dramatic, and the climate is the same.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Thanks, Clark Fork will check that area too! Do either of you know the situation with Libby? Is it considered totally safe now from asbestos? It's hard to get a clear answer from the internet. I hate to ask because it is an emotional topic to many but I have been curious for years about Libby.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHair View Post
Thanks, Clark Fork will check that area too! Do either of you know the situation with Libby? Is it considered totally safe now from asbestos? It's hard to get a clear answer from the internet. I hate to ask because it is an emotional topic to many but I have been curious for years about Libby.

The question has come up several times in this forum, and the EPA came out with its finalized report in November:

https://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpres...257F0300766670

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cu...cfm?id=0801744

The conclusion was that they're still doing clean-up, but that it is safe to live and work in Libby.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana