Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 24,981 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in Sidney. We are excited about the move. We are in our mid-forties and already planning for retirement. MT has always been one of our top states for retiring in.

We are coming from West Texas, but are from Gulf Coast Alabama. I know what many of you are thinking... why not retire back to the beaches? But we have become less tolerant of the heat and sand. We love the mountains and the snow. We are both outdoorsy types. Hiking, camping, boating, etc. are in our blood. We think we might like to try cross-country skiing. We've lived in cold climates before (MI and MA), so we know what we are in for... we think :-)

Any good information on Sidney would be appreciated. There is not a lot out there, other than the oil boom stuff, the murdered teacher, the housing crisis. etc. It all seems so negative. Is there anything positive out there? We wonder if we should just consider Sidney a place to work and sleep for the next decade or so.

We know that housing is an issue. We plan on renting an apartment (I checked and there are a few available for $$$) while scouting out our permanent abode. East vs west seems to be a big thing, with most favoring west. However, we would love something within a 4 hour drive from Sidney so that we can go there on weekends and holidays.

Btw, we are hard working folks who treat others kindly and fairly. We mind our own business, like our own company, and fix our own problems. We have firearms and licenses for them. We will help anyone who is truly in need, but dislike whiners and leeches. We love God, our kin, our country, and our dogs. From what I've read, except for our accents, we should fit in just fine.

Last edited by Latte4Lady; 07-04-2015 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: incomplete post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:20 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Sydney is a good city to live in but it is expensive. The issue you are going to have is getting through the oil bust. It appears that the oil price lows from last year may get tested again and oil companies do not have the hedges in place to get through. Most of the Bakken producers have reported they can begin drilling again but at a much lower rate than during the boom. To me, that's the biggest risk for the next 10 years.

If you are looking for a home 4 hours away, possibly consider Billings as there are 3 flights daily from there. The real estate market is a bit more stable and there are some workers who commute from there regularly. A 1 hour flight is much easier and faster than a 4-5 hour drive each way.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:28 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply, Flyingcat. I see you're from Tulsa. I used to live in Broken Arrow and loved it. I've actually lived all over the place and have found lots to love everywhere I've been (though I must admit that in Detroit it was harder to do, but did find awesome museums and music).

Fortunately, my husband's job is not dependent on the oil industry. With the bust happening now, you would think there would be more options in Sidney and that the prices would moderate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

As far as it being a good city, I would love to hear examples of this. As I mentioned, all I have been able to find is the negative.

Our retirement property doesn't have to be 4 hours away, but it would be nice to be close enough so we could go on the weekends and holidays to work/relax on the place. We have a large 5th wheel that we could set up until we built something. We would love to build a log home, but are unsure if it would be feasible.

Why does there seem to be a fixation on the western part of the state? The mountains? More activities? Being closer to CA?

Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
The East side of the state is mostly prarie and breaks, not the classical vision of the glacier carved mountains in the west side most folks associate with Montana.

There are several small towns within 4 hours of Sidney, mostly farming communities, solid, down to earth folks. Good people you can count on in need. Activities include a lot of hunting and fishing, hiking in the breaks, county fairs, festivals, fossil hunting, arrowhead hunting, camping, rodeos, lots of outdoor stuff. The winters are long there, but there is some good snowmobling, 4wheeling, lots of widlife, and folks are very adept at creating their own intertainment. If you play musical instruments, there are usually others you can jam with or sometimes there will be small dances where locals play and just socialize and have fun.

Folks in that are are mostly of Scandinavian and German stock, so may be seen as stand-offish, but they aren't, they just need some time to make up their mind about you.

I don't think you would have any problems in any of the small towns.

Billings is the largest town in the state and does have concerts, shopping, excellent medical faciities, I don't like towns, but for folks that do, Billings isn't a bad place. It does have a Cabella's, so it does have it's good points

Just outside of Billings are some great little towns like Roundup, Columbus, Belfrey, Broadus, that are smaller communities but have a lot of the qualites of neighborlyness and freindship that small close knit communities have.

You would need to do some exploring to find what fits you, but I will say, if you have an open mind, the eastern end of the state offeres a whole world of opportunities and adventures.

Good Luck

Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM

Thank you for the information. I was already excited about the move, now I have even more to look forward to. My husband and I love exploring, and you have given us a wealth of ideas already! I just wish I could feel better about Sidney (which will be our home base while we explore the state). Since my husband's job will be based there, we will have to make that our home until retirement. Fortunately, we can rent there and buy elsewhere. It should be fun sleuthing out the best place to settle.

Again, thanks to SilverTip and FlyingCat for the excellent info.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:50 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte4Lady View Post
Thank you for the information. I was already excited about the move, now I have even more to look forward to. My husband and I love exploring, and you have given us a wealth of ideas already! I just wish I could feel better about Sidney (which will be our home base while we explore the state). Since my husband's job will be based there, we will have to make that our home until retirement. Fortunately, we can rent there and buy elsewhere. It should be fun sleuthing out the best place to settle.

Again, thanks to SilverTip and FlyingCat for the excellent info.
It is hard to find a place around Sidney, but not impossible. A lot of folks have left, some companies have stalled on workers- so the demand for housing has dropped a bit.

It's a nice place for a small town. I travel there at least 3x p/year and it has everything you would need to get by. As far as places in the outskirts- there really aren't many. Most of it is comprised of large ranches and inhospitable terrain. Places are just tough to come by.

If you like the outdoors, fishing, bird hunting or deer hunting- Ft. Peck lake is not too far away. I think a real gem is Glasgow. You can find nice places around the lake that won't break the bank and within 4 hours drive from Sidney. Although the terrain is not mountainous- it has an allure all of its own. Gobs of wildlife, not crowded- just pure heaven. (But I like to hunt birds, so I'm a bit biased, lol).

I've told my wife that if I were to look for a retirement town- it would be Glasgow or Plentywood- not Kalispell or the Bitterroot.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Hi Threerun. Thank you for answering with some positive vibes for Sidney. I've been out and about here in Seminole, so it took a little longer to answer, but thanks to you, Silvertip, and Flyingcat, I am feeling pretty good about our options there.

I've been checking out the places y'all have mentioned and all of them seem to be pretty good options for future housing. Thanks a bunch!

I have another question for ya.... and this may not be the place for it. It might be better answered on its own thread, but I'm gonna ask anyway. While reading through the Montana forum, there seems to be a little bit of animosity toward those who come here to retire. I've read a good many posts where the poster doesn't want retirees, only worker bees.... and of course some who don't want transplants at all.

Would this same animosity be directed toward people like us, who want to come while we are still young enough to work and contribute to the community before retiring to your fine state? Or is this just a bad mojo rising toward outsiders in general and retirees in particular?

Last edited by Latte4Lady; 07-10-2015 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: addition to the last question

Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I've only been in the state 5 years and honestly I don't sense a lot of negativity. The guys in Glasgow that I hunt with are just great folks, I work with people all over the state and I feel very welcomed and at home. I've had one- count it ONE negative comment from a turd, and let's just chalk it up to the fella was just that- a turd.

When I moved here I got immediately involved in the same activities I did in WV- Scouting, church, hunting- so I tend to find like minded people which helps. No one delivered brownies at my door as a welcome when we moved in, but hardly anyone does that sort of thing anymore.

Come on in, make yourself hospitable, do the things you like and you'll soon meet people that are on the same wave as you. No biggie.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
I can vouch for plentywood, nice town.
But it lacks great shopping and the one grocery is very expensive.
Not much to do unless you enjoy socializing at the local clubs.
People are very friendly and it is very safe.
Not much in the way of fishing.
All the small towns require driving to get luxury shopping.
Very cold, peaceful and it'll be a place you miss in your heart forever.
I painted the train station in Plentywood before their centennial.
If you go there take a photo if it please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana